5 Pet Products For People Aren't Qualified To Own Pets

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Pet Products For People Aren't Qualified To Own Pets

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:55 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-pet-products-people-who-arent-qualified-to-own-pets/
Goddamn PETA and their denial of the existence of carnivores. Just how fucking hard is it to understand that your dog doesn't share your hippie ideals or care about your raw vegan Last Chance diet? It's a dog!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Pet Products For People Aren't Qualified To Own Pets

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Dogs aren't full carnivores, and they can do just fine with only plant based nutrients. Cats on the other hand, can't. It's straight up abusive to deny meat to a cat.

I followed all the links Cracked provided, none of them made a case against a meatless diet for dogs, although one of the links explained why the same diet for a cat is a terrible idea. One of the links actually argues the vegan diet can be really good for the health of dogs.

Cracked is a clickbait website. They're deliberately obscuring the issue to drum up controversy. At least they mentioned that the beer for dogs is alcohol free beer.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:15 pm

I totally get vegetarians and vegans having a moral objection to keeping an animal and feeding it meat.

And that's fine, no-one's saying to anyone that they have to feed a cat meat if they think that's wrong. No-one is forcing them to own a cat.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 pm

My position entirely, Carrie. Cats are obligate carnivores. If you (general you) object to feeding a cat meat for moral reasons, or just because you think meat is icky, for that matter, the answer is not to endanger the animal's health and wellbeing, it's not to own a cat in the first place.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:56 pm

And if you absolutely must have a cat, nobody expects you to feed it meat anyway. You feed it cat food, which you can tell yourself is made of unicorn farts if it helps you sleep at night. Otherwise, leave the cats to us barbarians lest you find yourself ass deep in a puddle of ironic hypocrisy, as in starving a cat to (a slow and miserable) death because you "love animals."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Well, there are a couple of problems with that (or so I'd imagine, not being a vegan).

1. You can tell yourself it's made of unicorn farts, but it isn't. I mean, people who are vegan for moral reasons would presumably find that kind of deliberate cognitive dissonance morally indefensible.
2. The conditions in which the animals that go into pet food are raised and the slaughtering methods used, etc, probably aren't particularly humane. It's cheap meat, which comparatively speaking means worse conditions for the animals. It would probably be less morally dodgy to grind up whole, humanely caught rabbits or something.

Honestly, the answer if you can't bring yourself to feed an obligate carnivore a meat diet is to get a bunny or something instead.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby archaeologydalek » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:16 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 pm

I concur. Hardcore vegans should not own cats, unless they're able to able to understand and respect the biology of the situation. I suspect that for a nominal mark-up, one can buy "cruelty free" pet food, but that's probably just a ripoff. In a lot of places, "cruelty free" can legally mean literally anything. "Hey, we hung up a sign telling people not to kick the livestock."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:22 pm

You absolutely can - my mum feeds her cats (among other things) bone-in mince (rabbit and lamb, I think) that's organic and cruelty free. Apparently a lot of service animal owners buy it. But it's as expensive as hell (although it's VAT free for service animals), and...it's still meat. If "cruelty free" meat was considered okay by vegans...well, they wouldn't be vegans. Although I'd imagine there are vegans who're fully comfortable with cats eating meat because they have to, whereas humans don't, in which case that'd be a good option.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 pm

I like to think that not all (or even most) vegans are PETA-flavored nut jobs. It's just that the ones who are twats naturally get more attention than those who aren't.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:39 pm

As with pretty much everything - the shrieking lunatics get more attention than the people with deeply held but reasonable beliefs.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:46 pm

I don't know what you people are talking about. My cats eat black olives and shoe-leather dry cat food. Also...

LOOK AT ME! I'M A SHRIEKING IDIOT!!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:58 am

No meat is less ethically killed than the prey of a cat.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:06 am

Truer words were never spoken.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby krankittoeleven » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:52 am

DamianaRaven wrote:And if you absolutely must have a cat, nobody expects you to feed it meat anyway. You feed it cat food, which you can tell yourself is made of unicorn farts if it helps you sleep at night. Otherwise, leave the cats to us barbarians lest you find yourself ass deep in a puddle of ironic hypocrisy, as in starving a cat to (a slow and miserable) death because you "love animals."

Wouldn't unicorn farts still be an issue for vegans? I mean, it is an animal byproduct, after all.

krankittoeleven
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep
Title: The Real Sleaze Teaser

Next