5 Insane Realities At My Fundamentalist Christian College

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Insane Realities At My Fundamentalist Christian College

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_22150_5-awful-realities-fundamentalist-christian-college.html
Putting all the religion stuff aside for a moment, one has to ask: what the hell's the end goal here? Trying to surround themselves within an ideological dome is one thing, but this "college" didn't even try to try to apply for accreditation until 2011! So, how the hell did they expect their alumni to make a living? Obviously they don't expect their female students to have careers, but the male students? I mean, you need a degree for a minimum wage job nowadays. What, do they just expect people to live in this sort of house and collect unemployment checks for use of the collection plates? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Insane Realities At My Fundamentalist Christian Colleg

Postby Matt the Czar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Nope.

It's like the Hitler Youth or the Young Fascists I think, just done terribly and on the wrong age group.

"Checks off "Godwin's Law" on the checklist for this thread

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Askias » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Well, keeping kids pure for one. Memento mori and all that. Life is temporal, Heaven and Hell are eternal. So for these guys the next life gets priority over the current one.

After reading the last point, I did a very, very brief google search. The pool for Christian businesses is rather staggering. They even have their own blue pages (www.christianbluepages.com) which listed about 100+ catagories just for the states of Kentucy, Indiana and Ohio. There are several organisations and corporation with as only goal to act as a intermediary between employés and employers of companies who only want good, pure christians, and the search also fished out several organisations, non-profit included, whose missions statement was specifically to finance and support businesses founded on the Bible. The 'Christian bubble' as described in the last bit of the article is a lot larger than you may think. Connections matter.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby SandTea » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:34 am

Askias wrote:Well, keeping kids pure for one. Memento mori and all that. Life is temporal, Heaven and Hell are eternal. So for these guys the next life gets priority over the current one.

I've always wondered why a school or church like that doesn't just have an executioner. One person who sacrifices his soul so all those innocents can have eternal happiness like some 1/2 priced bodhisattva.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby DjiboutiDan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:30 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:So, how the hell did they expect their alumni to make a living?

The reason you're not understanding is because you're starting with the reasonable person assumption that they care. They don't care. They got your money, they kept you "pure" for four years, they don't care what happens after that. Plus like the article stated, the entire undergrad class is just a big recruiting pool, so they can pay their staff shitty wages with few (if any) benefits and they'll have to take it. There's nowhere else they can work, and every student is a potential replacement.
There are probably some people there who care but they're either just as ill-informed as the students or they're blinded by their need to perform 'the Lord's work'. In their minds, God has a big ass spreadsheet with everyone's name on it and he keeps track of 'good deed' and 'sin' points. Every student they keep "pure" is another mark in the 'good deed' column. And if they reach some unknown number, God will let them into heaven. And they believe that the number of 'good deed' points they get from working for this college greatly outweighs any 'sin' points they get for not preparing the students for the real world. After all the real world is sinful so preparing them for it would require doing sinful things.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby Absentia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:47 am

I don't think accreditation matters as much as you think. Hell, a lot of those online diploma mills are accredited and they don't prepare you for jack. And like Askias said, many businesses are run by very religious people, for very religious people. That kind of person would probably look more favorably on a degree from a Christian college than a "godless liberal" state university that happened to be accredited.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:50 am

DjiboutiDan wrote: After all the real world is sinful so preparing them for it would require doing sinful things.

Like being actual human beings that actually exist.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:07 am

"I got a four year college degree from this Christian school because God needs workers in heaven too!"

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:"I got a four year college degree from this Christian school because God needs workers in heaven too!"

It's the only reason I joined the "fire sword fencing" class.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus