After Hours tackles Friends

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

After Hours tackles Friends

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:46 pm

So the new After Hours is about how all the main characters from Friends are (unsurprisingly, knowing sitcoms) terrible people. Any thoughts?

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: After Hours tackles Friends

Postby octoberpumpkin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm

I realized that a while ago. Some are better than others. Honestly the more I watch the more I dislike Rachel and Ross because neither of them are good people

Still my favourite show though

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby sunglasses » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I've never seen Friends.

Seriously.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm

sunglasses wrote:I've never seen Friends.

Seriously.

Neither have I.

Never really had the urge to. I realize it started a lot of modern sitcom trends, but ehhhh...I may be suffering from hype aversion.

I suppose I need to be willing to watch a sitcom about horrible people. I technically already do (Archer), but at least that one has the added benefit of a wacky spy parody premise to sweeten the deal. Stuff like "Friends" may be a bit too "mundane" for me to immediately go "I need to watch this!"

I am ready to be surprised.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby krankittoeleven » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Ceiling_Squid wrote:
sunglasses wrote:I've never seen Friends.

Seriously.

Neither have I.

Never really had the urge to. I realize it started a lot of modern sitcom trends, but ehhhh...I may be suffering from hype aversion.

I suppose I need to be willing to watch a sitcom about horrible people. I technically already do (Archer), but at least that one has the added benefit of a wacky spy parody premise to sweeten the deal. Stuff like "Friends" may be a bit too "mundane" for me to immediately go "I need to watch this!"

I am ready to be surprised.

The difference between Archer and Friends is that Archer is about bad people being bad people and Friends is about bad people (maybe not all of them, but a good portion of them) who are convinced they are good people. Because of this, Archer is funny and Friends seems kind of sad.

That's my take anway. I've seen all of Archer but only a dozen or so episodes of Friends, so my opinion might be skewed.

krankittoeleven
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep
Title: The Real Sleaze Teaser

Postby thatindianguy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:28 pm

I actually still like friends.

They're horrible people by real life standards but filtered through the realm of sit com logic they're okay.

But more importantly if Dan actually gets kicked out do you think he'll take me up on that offer I made to be friends?

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 pm

He'll probably ban you again, Indy. And I like Friend the same reason why I like BBT: I find at least some of it funny (though even I will admit that the newer seasons of BBT have lost something...I don't know what exactly). I relate to Chandler the most because I see at least part of him in me: that jokey, nervous wreck who's a bit scared around women and often snarks under social discomfort. Plus, the Chandler/Monica relationship was SO MUCH BETTER than Ross/Rachel (which might be why I prefer Sheldon/Amy to Leonard/Penny. They both progress more "naturally", I guess).

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby SandTea » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 am

This after hours, like all of them, was good but in particular a reminder of "WHY AREN'T YOU DOING MORE AFTER HOURS!"

I mean the premise was a "duh" but I am a silly man who wants more after hours.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby LegionofShrooms » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:30 am

Probably the only submission for today I intend to check later as it was the only thing to pique my interest (After Hours has been one of the few consistently entertaining things of late on Cracked, so I'm always quite happy when I see Swaim, Dan, Soren and Katie sitting around a table in the article thumbnails)

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 am

LegionofShrooms wrote:Probably the only submission for today I intend to check later as it was the only thing to pique my interest (After Hours has been one of the few consistently entertaining things of late on Cracked, so I'm always quite happy when I see Swaim, Dan, Soren and Katie sitting around a table in the article thumbnails)

Anything involving any of these four, really. After Hours and Does Not Compute are really the only things I find myself visiting Cracked for on a semi-regular basis anymore, since their video cast talent is still quite stellar.

...still kinda got a sour taste in my mouth about the rest of the site.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm so damn sick and tired of all this cynical, post-modernist overanalyzing of every beloved piece of fiction to point out horrible implications everywhere, why all the characters are monsters, why it has a secret reactionary political message, and so on and so forth.

Come up with something new already, will ya?

By sitcom standards, the Friends characters are good people. They'll have comically exaggerated faults, because a show about entirely normal people who deal with issues in a mature and responsible manner wouldn't be funny.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Aquila89 wrote:I'm so damn sick and tired of all this cynical, post-modernist overanalyzing of every beloved piece of fiction to point out horrible implications everywhere, why all the characters are monsters, why it has a secret reactionary political message, and so on and so forth.

I thought that was the whole point of After Hours - obsessively deconstructing pop culture in ways that were never intended. Keeping in mind that it's mostly done for the sake of comedy, so I really don't put much stock in whatever "conclusions" they trot out.

It's true that the cynical treatment of well-liked media tends to be overblown and stupid - but I thought it was only a problem if you actually took said discussions too seriously.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 pm

I think the final conclusion - that Friends is about assholes but the writers want us to like them - was supposed to be taken more or less seriously. And I know the overanalyzing is played for comedy, but I don't find it funny anymore. That's why I don't usually watch After Hours.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:31 pm

I haven't seen the After Hours thing, but I hardly think this is a surprising conclusion. Friends is a sitcom. Sitcom characters are exaggerations and/or stereotypes. If you apply the same standards to them that you'd apply to real people, of course they're terrible in one way or another.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby SandTea » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 pm

It's fun?

Hell yeah, sponge bob is some mutant born from nuclear tests at bikini atoll! Yes, the Rugrats is all in angelica's mind and doug funny just ate the brown acid(did i just make that one up? maybe). It's looking at things in a new way which can make second viewings more enjoyable. I admit that there is a current trend that's sorta "NO! that thing you like sucks because of x" but we just ignore those people, or waste time talking shit in comments etc ;)

Edit: con -fn- air...

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Next