Every mention of parents in this should be in scare quotes.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Every mention of parents in this should be in scare quotes.

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:16 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_22212_5-ways-coming-out-to-your-family-can-go-horribly-wrong.html

I haven't read the Bible but 'Thou shalt not kill' is supposed to be a bigger deal than Leviticus right?

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: Every mention of parents in this should be in scare quo

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:48 pm

"You should forgive people and be generally nice but it's OK to murder your children especially faggot children." -Jesus

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:50 pm

It's "you shall not commit murder". It doesn't prohibit capital punishment. The Bible outright demands capital punishment for a lot of things, including being gay: Leviticus 20:13 says "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death." Of course, there are many other cruel laws that nobody follows anymore, as shown in this famous clip from The West Wing.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:17 pm

Damn that was a great show.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Wow, for some reason I checked the comments under that video (I know I know, it's youtube, but I'm bored I guess... or maybe I just have a compulsion to read comments everywhere. Don't judge me!) and found this gem:

wowtube.jpg
wowtube.jpg (167.28 KiB) Viewed 3901 times

Is this the most mindblowing youtube comment or yes? I had a good laugh about it at least.

Now on topic: I've mentioned before that Estonia is a very irreligious country (only about 20% believe in god). Well, we still have lots of homophobia! I guess they have one less argument to support their views, but that doesn't stop them. Even without religion, you can always fall back on how it's 'unnatural' or 'destroying family values' or just 'gross', and my favorite of all, how extending equal rights to gay people is 'heterophobia'! It's sad. There's lots of accepting people and no one I personally know has been disowned at least, but there's still lots of prejudice too.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Tuli wrote:Even without religion, you can always fall back on how it's 'unnatural' or 'destroying family values' or just 'gross', and my favorite of all, how extending equal rights to gay people is 'heterophobia'!

Ah yes, the "the prohibition of bigotry is bigotry" argument. Do people not realize how pathetic that makes them sound? They might as well just shout "I'M DESPERATE TO BE A DOUCHEBAG!" from the rooftop at that point.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Tuli wrote:Even without religion, you can always fall back on how it's 'unnatural' or 'destroying family values' or just 'gross', and my favorite of all, how extending equal rights to gay people is 'heterophobia'! It's sad.

I honestly believe that whatever the justification given for it, whether religious or otherwise, the reason for most homophobia comes back to "it's gross". (Fairly often I think it's "it's gross but I want to do it".)

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Ah yes, the "the prohibition of bigotry is bigotry" argument. Do people not realize how pathetic that makes them sound? They might as well just shout "I'M DESPERATE TO BE A DOUCHEBAG!" from the rooftop at that point.

something like this, but horrible

As for the article, I can only say that's really shitty. I'm glad his life (eventually) got better, though.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby EstebanColberto » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:16 pm

If I owned a catering service, I would explicitly advertise that I'd service gay weddings. The first person that thinks of doing this will make a killing. You might lose some business with the extreme homophobes, but you'd attract all the people who've been waiting years for it to finally be legal.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 pm

Unsurprisingly, the comments section has already found scapegoats: Christians and Southerners. The number of bog-standard "point and laugh at random Old Testament passage" and "something something cherrypicking" posts from dedicated know-nothings has almost reached critical mass.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Crimson847 wrote:Unsurprisingly, the comments section has already found scapegoats: Christians and Southerners. The number of bog-standard "point and laugh at random Old Testament passage" and "something something cherrypicking" posts from dedicated know-nothings has almost reached critical mass.

As an openly bisexual Christian, I can't stand those people that assume that the homophobia of someone who happens to be Christian is a fault of the religion as a whole. I imagine these commenters are that annoying kind of atheist that assumes their beliefs automatically make them cleverer than religious people.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 pm

gisambards wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:Unsurprisingly, the comments section has already found scapegoats: Christians and Southerners. The number of bog-standard "point and laugh at random Old Testament passage" and "something something cherrypicking" posts from dedicated know-nothings has almost reached critical mass.

As an openly bisexual Christian, I can't stand those people that assume that the homophobia of someone who happens to be Christian is a fault of the religion as a whole. I imagine these commenters are that annoying kind of atheist that assumes their beliefs automatically make them cleverer than religious people.

*antitheist. It's a specific brand of atheist, notable for opposing religion (not the excesses, but religion in general) rather than simply not believing in God themselves. Kinda like how some vegetarians just eat vegetables and don't make a big thing about it, while some others feed on the suffering caused by nagging meat-eaters endlessly.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:11 am

Those are my favorite kind of atheist cause they carry around The God Delusion, have read it several times, have memorized several quotes from it, and try so hard to get others to read it. They fail to see the irony in any of this.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 am

I call 'em "evangelical atheists". As a staunch atheist myself, they make me want to stab myself in the eye.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:16 am

*guards her knitting needles from Orange*

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Next