Wong's article whose title no longer makes sense.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Wong's article whose title no longer makes sense.

Postby thatindianguy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:18 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-you-get-tricked-into-believing-stupid-things/

Good article over all,so I don't have much to say since praising Wong gives me indigestion.

Last edited by thatindianguy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: Wong's article who's title no longer makes sense.

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:29 pm

thatindianguy wrote:...praising Wong gives me indigestion.

You too, huh? I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a little dirty upon pointing out that Wong really is a fucking brilliant writer. His enlightened views on humanity as a whole are totally at odds with the way he behaves in public social situations. I don't pretend to know how he behaves behind closed doors. When it comes to David Wong, I might be a fan but I'm not at all a friend. In fact, if the TCS Awards Ceremony ever has the category "Most Likely to Smack Wong Upside His Dick Sucker," I'll be offended if I don't get at least a nomination.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Wong's article whose title no longer makes sense.

Postby thatindianguy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Yeah this whole thing just feels ironic considering that Wong is basically guilty of most of these. I suppose it's the same mentality that makes people post a trigger warning for suicide while telling people to kill themselves.

... Althooooough Cracked HAS been cooling it off with the click bait Tumblr cap recently so maybe this is a sign of good things to come.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:02 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Wong is a rather talented writer. Indeed, he may be one of the best on the site.

This Book Is Full Of Spiders was both clever and well written, and although fictional, I found the concept of the "Babel Threshold" extremely interesting. Likewise, a lot of his articles are either insightful or entertaining, and I won't hesitate to give him due credit where he's earned it.

However-and this seems to be an idea he has a challenging time accepting-just because he has a creative knack doesn't mean he knows a thing about properly managing or moderating people or the finer details of running a specific facet of a website.

I don't claim to know what goes on on his head nor any of the elements of Cracked that go on behind the scenes that may or may not affect him or be affected by him. I just know that the one element I know is directly in his control-that is, the forums, PWoT-have always come off to me as extremely hostile and unwelcoming towards outsiders, and that he seems to express an open disdain for the comment section of Cracked.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 pm

In #3, there was something he wrote that I found rather silly, and not worth debating.

Of course I'd prefer a serrated knife; they tear through people far more easily (...or so I'd imagine...).

But seriously, even if it was a stranger stabbing another stranger in my kitchen, I'd like to think I'd immediately grab a knife and/or call the cops. That would be a pain in the ass to try to explain to the police otherwise. I'm not a fan of the idea of someone getting stabbed to death in my kitchen. More to the point, I actually have changed my stance on a number of major issues in the past, in spite of what a lot of people in my family believe (and not just to fit in with other people), and there weren't any fights or major catastrophes involved. Besides how much David Wong seems to underestimate people's capacity to reason (though I see how that can get twisted in some cases), I thought this was a good article.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 pm

As far as stabbing goes, I would probably pick a boning or filleting knife. A serrated knife will make an ugly meal of the wounds and is also liable to get stuck in a thrashing body more easily than a straight blade. The knives I mentioned are designed to work with meaty, bony, gristly bodies. Their thin, subtly curved blades are far less likely to get stuck or to slip, and they will draw through the flesh cleanly.
If the situation Wong described really happened, I would just fetch a mop and some bin bags to clean up whatever was left of the poor schmuck by the time my mum was finished with him. If anything it would be more sporting to stab her; it would give him more of a chance.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby LegionofShrooms » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:35 am

See, I'm of two minds on the matter.

On the one hand, a serrated knife would likely hurt a damned site more going in, but is liable to be more of a mere flesh wound than a killing blow. I probably would also go for a good filleting knife or maybe utility knife (although I suppose with the proper blade, a pairing knife might do in a pinch).

Now if we're talking slashing or hacking rather than stabbing, that's a completely different story. The sawing motion afforded by a good serrated bread knife would give you some deep, damaging cuts, although I suppose if you know where to strike, a single blow from a sharp chef's knife or Santoku could have the desired affect.

Which is to say nothing of the options afforded to us by frying pans:

It occurs to me that I may have lost focus on the topic somewhere along the way.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:54 am

*looks up from his stabbing victim*

Oh yeah. Serrated knife all the way. 100% totes.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 am

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:17 am

Generally a serrated knife is for slicing something really tough and/or thick. Straight blades get better stabbing depth, so if you're just trying to stab a guy to death, you want a straight blade through his fleshy bits at a major blood vessel. If you want to dismember him Dexter-style before you dump the body, that's when you'll need something serrated.

Oh, I liked the article too.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
thatindianguy wrote:...praising Wong gives me indigestion.

You too, huh? I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a little dirty upon pointing out that Wong really is a fucking brilliant writer. His enlightened views on humanity as a whole are totally at odds with the way he behaves in public social situations.

"His enlightened views on humanity..."

Hoooo boy. Alright.

I think I stopped listening to Wong the moment "6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person" got held up as some sort of gold standard of self-help advice. I always thought it was insipid, unoriginal, and gave assholes more reason to feel enlightened and superior. Tough love and "harsh truth" is not a one-size-fits-all treatment for people suffering from depression or lack of motivation, and I'm the kind of person who cares about presentation and tone - because they actually matter when you're trying to get a point across.

Plus, borderline idolization of a certain modern monster of a character, as played by Alec Baldwin.

If that puts me in the minority, or makes me some sort of weakling unwilling to swallow a bitter pill, so be it. I've avoided his "let me tell you about how people work" articles ever since, since they stick in my craw and leave me with a foul distaste for Wong as a writer and a human being.

Which is a shame, because I quite like his comedic work. He's a great writer.

All that said, as far as treatises on humanity go, the same cogent points have already been made by far more tactful people and more sensitive thinkers than Wong. The best thing I can say about Wong is this - his articles made me angry enough to want to figure out my own life on my own terms, and determine how I wanted to view my fellow human beings. Maybe that's a success, but it was done out of utter scorn for his mentality and approach.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Ceiling_Squid wrote:Plus, borderline idolization of a certain modern monster of a character, as played by Alec Baldwin.

What I love most about Wong's idolization of the Baldwin speech is that he couldn't have missed the mark on Baldwin's character more if he tried. The whole point was that the firm was going down the toilet, and it was getting desperate, hence the weakest of the herd gets fired approach. This was supposed to motivate the workers through fear, but look how it turned out. The salesmen end up talking about ripping off the company, Jack Lemmon's character fails in the most spectacular way, and the only successful salesman (Al Pacino's character) was the one guy who was not present for that speech, though he was kind of a scumbag in his own right. The company was in as much dire straights as the salesmen, because duh, if the salesmen aren't successful then how can the company be successful? It's just while Jack Lemmon's desperation is apparent on his face, the company's desperation takes the form of Alec Baldwin.

Also, do we even know if Baldwin's character says anything that isn't 100% bullshit? How do we know the Glengarry leads are any better than the crap the salesmen already get? If he's such a hot shot, how come no one at the office has any idea who he is? His whole speech reeks of motivational speaker nonsense. Baldwin wasn't making some grand point about how the only important thing you do is close, he was probably just some paid speaker hired to instill some fear of God into seemingly complacent workers. The fact that Wong chose to reappropriate this particular speech as a motivation is just bizarre considering its context.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby NoodleFox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:22 pm

I don't read anything seriously by Wong after that self-help piece. His articles have an air of a college student who took their first course in Sociology and now knows everything about how and why everyone acts. Maybe he should write a self-help book.
Amazing that he knows how the human mind works then tears people apart in his little cult because the human mind doesn't follow a universal protocol.

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby Masonator » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Also, considering how they like to "update" that Six Harsh Truths article every year, you'd think someone would take note in one of these corrections to remove the sentence claiming Alec Baldwin was nominated for his role in Glengarry. I'd make a thread seeking a correction, but I can guess PWoT's response:

animated-rampage.gif
animated-rampage.gif (652.54 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Last edited by Dr. Ambiguous on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed attachment inline
Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Next