The Choose Your Own Adventure article.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

The Choose Your Own Adventure article.

Postby EstebanColberto » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:45 am

I know I'm a little late to the party to add a thread about a Cracked article, but I really liked this one. It reminds me of why I liked Cracked so much. Over analysis of pop culture for the sake of humor instead of some bizarre social agenda.

I loved the part about how Trouble on Planet Earth followed completely different villainous plots depending on your actions and there was no consistency to what was going on. This was actually a key feature of many of the books in the series. The plot changed based on your decisions, but sometimes stuff happened beyond your control as a character, but the stuff beyond your control would change depending on what path you took, so it's like the Butterfly Effect happened really fast and all depended on teaching you a lesson. For example, the Space and Beyond entry talks about how your decision to become a space pirate ends with money being abolished, but money being abolished is probably a major social trend that should happen no matter what your character does, UNLESS, that social trend occurs BECAUSE you became a pirate. You must've been one really badass pirate to cause the abolition of money. It's kind of a strange logic used to teach kids a lesson. Hey kids, if you download movies of Pirate Bay, you will directly cause the institution of Space Communism.

COMMUNISM...IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE! space! space!

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Re: The Choose Your Own Adventure article.

Postby SandTea » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:57 am

****THIS NEEDS TO BE KNOWN****
There are choose your own adventure youtube things which can be great fun. Progress right!

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby EstebanColberto » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 am

I've seen a bunch of Steam Games take this format too. A bunch of indies are trying to make a good text based story and it's almost working. One of these days they'll win.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Matt the Czar » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Oh, excuse me, I was busy huffing Soviet-era reactor paint while riding a tiger ship and getting repeatedly told by a lion "Fuck Yoooouuuuuuu."

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:51 pm

link

I wondered how it could possibly get any weirder after Space and Beyond... and then I started reading the second page...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:51 pm

I like how the author of Hyperspace clearly didn't do enough LSD to finish the book properly.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep