Title Guy Breaking the Moral Event Horizon

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Title Guy Breaking the Moral Event Horizon

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:55 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_22142_5-badass-facts-about-women-that-history-books-leave-out_p2.html

Original title: 5 Badass Facts About Women That History Books Leave Out. Not accurate, but it does the work.

Current title: 5 Ancient Discoveries That Prove Modern Men Are Sexist

They changed a perfectly okay title to the clickbaitest shit I have ever seen. Title Guy's heart have shrunk seven times this day.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: Title Guy Breaking the Moral Event Horizon

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:08 pm

Ok, Cracked. I get it. You're a feminist now, and I support you in that decision, even if I don't fully agree with it. However, I have to wonder, why are you arguing that sexism is a modern invention? Isn't ignoring thousands upon thousands of years of sexism that happened during the course of human history counterproductive to your goals? Seems like a bad idea for women's history month. I don't know what's gotten into you lately, Cracked. You seem stressed out and confused. Maybe you should take some time off.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I don't ......I don't......WHAT?!!!!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I don't know what's gotten into you lately, Cracked. You seem stressed out and confused.

Just like ladies, in the Ladies' Week. ZING!

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Hmmm...
Many archaeologists have recently decided that most cave paintings were probably made by women.

OK, how does the fact that those are now recognized as made by women prove that modern men are sexist? Yes, western culture, as progressive as it is, still has problems regarding sexism and the role of women in history, but if anything this proves that modern archaeologists are more open-minded than their predecesors in their assumptions.

It's a shame because there's nothing inflammatory or troll-baitish in this article (except maybe for that joke about the female gladiator whose "weapon" was originally described as "a cleaning tool -- because cleaning is a thing that women do," and even then, it was described as a cleaning tool because that is what it is. It's a strigil, a tool for the cleansing of the body by scraping off dirt, sweat and oil before bathing that just happens to look like a sickle or a scythe sometimes. It's also the most common object found on the memorials of athletes, so that woman could have very well being a female athlete. But I took it first as a joke and a research fail, then as something inflammatory).

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Edgar Cabrera wrote:It's a shame because there's nothing inflammatory or troll-baitish in this article (except maybe for that joke about the female gladiator whose "weapon" was originally described as "a cleaning tool -- because cleaning is a thing that women do," and even then, it was described as a cleaning tool because that is what it is. It's a strigil, a tool for the cleansing of the body by scraping off dirt, sweat and oil before bathing that just happens to look like a sickle or a scythe sometimes. It's also the most common object found on the memorials of athletes, so that woman could have very well being a female athlete. But I took it first as a joke and a research fail, then as something inflammatory).

Even female gladiators shaved. You can't hope to be stronger, physically or emotionally, than someone who kills giant animals and warriors for a living.

Therefore, ladies, stop proudly showing the tarantulas you have under your arms as some sort of trophy of defiance against the patriarchy, and go grab a spear if you wanna convince me you're really tough.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

NotCIAAgent wrote:Just like ladies, in the Ladies' Week. ZING!

*smiles lovingly at him* You know you're an idiot, right? Someone could lose a fucking eye if this doesn't become commonly known and subsequently shared with future generations.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:30 pm

I criticized the small hands entry and now everyone's calling me a whiny MRA.

And downvoted for suggesting that there should be an anime centered around Tomoe Gozen as an alternative to the million about Oda Nobunaga.

The comment section is being weird today.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:31 pm

....... Why do I try to quell the trolls everyday when Cracked seems WANT to draw them in to the point they will sacrifice what little title accuracy they had to bait them ?

I mean JESUS Wong/O'Brien/ Bah'Heth'e'ngon, I get that you need to attract eyeballs to survive, but this is just lying about what the article is, and whats more exploiting serious issues for your gain.

Which REAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLy does not make your 'feminism' look good.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:34 pm

I've seen the comment you posted, Indy (can I call you Indy?). You tried your best, buddy.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:34 pm

In a illustrated dictionary, the expression "Selling the Soul to the Devil" would have a picture of that title.

... supposing there are illustrated dictionaries that works with expressions, and that cracked will ever be widespread enough to be relevant for it. Yeah, I am boring.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Edgar Cabrera wrote:(can I call you Indy?)

Please say yes!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:37 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:
Edgar Cabrera wrote:(can I call you Indy?)

Please say yes!

If not, call him IndianaJohn.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 pm

I decided I should read the article, to get a better feel for why this title was incorrect.

It's a very strange thing to show five examples of where women weren't entirely oppressed in the past, and then state this is the reason why modern men (we need to say it's just men of course) are sexist. Never mind that this says that modern men are collectively more sexist than cavemen.

The problem I have with this is, for every female samurai (who were even taught a special woman's martial art because that's not at all sexist), for every female gladiator, there's a million women who lived with widespread oppression. For example, the beacon of democracy, Athens, denied all women the vote purely because they were women.

The point is though, this article is about examples where women weren't oppressed as much, and even were badass. Why can't we have a piece about why women are awesome without simultaneously turning it into why men are sexist? The content of the actual article simply doesn't support that viewpoint at all.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 pm

In other news I have come to the conclusion that IrwinMetro is a tool. Used to think he was a decent chap, just a little overzealous, but no. He's a tool.
All I said was that since men were hunters and women stayed in the caves, they would have painted them. Yes I said that they would have had more energy to do so but come on, is it really sexist to suggest that hunting might be more laborious than handling the stone age hearth?

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Next