5 Ways Hollywood Uses Science To Ruin Superhero Movies

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Ways Hollywood Uses Science To Ruin Superhero Movies

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 pm

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-ways-hollywood-uses-science-to-ruin-superhero-movies/

Well, this article certainly confirms my suspicion that DCB has no concept of escapism, imagination, fiction, or joy, and is therefore possibly Joe Quesada or Bill Jemas.

Also, did Stan Lee kill this guy's family or something?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Ways Hollywood Uses Science To Ruin Superhero Movies

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:55 pm

I sincerely don't understand his insistence that no superhero film can ever be taken seriously . Yeah, there's a guy in a bat suit, but there's also a child with a gun to his head!
But really is it just me or in the span of a few years have we gone from saying that superhero films can be serious cinema and cultural landmarks, to saying that they can never more than popcorn fluff, in fact should be as fluffy and silly as possible.
I think what happened is that 'The Dark Knight' was the height of the realism craze, then that side went dormant for a few years, while Marvel started churning out family friendly stuff like there was no tomorrow. Then TDKR came along and sadly was the weakest of the trilogy in the same year that 'The Avengers' solidified King Marvel's position. Then when 'Man of Steel' split audiences it was the final nail.
But I'm glad that F.F is taking a different route, mainly because despite what the 'Oh noes this film is so GRAY!' crowd says most films (Marvel, Fox, even Sony for the most part) ARE making light films. So I'm looking forward to some variety.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:21 pm

I like how science has to be dark and gritty. Otherwise it's not science!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 am

I honestly avoid any articles pertaining to superhero movies from Cracked.

They've proven to me time and time again that they can't do an objective, reasonable article that actually looks at the facts, but rather are just shamelessly bashing popular stuff for the sake of page views. It's like they let ATB head the cinema related division the last year. If it's popular, it must be bad, cause logic.

They also suck at predicting trends. Remember when they said that the Marvel bubble was gonna pop last year, and that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to start the downward spiral? Then they retconned it to how we all were "conned" into seeing GOTG by pointing out completely illogical "flaws"? So... How's that working out for you Cracked?

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Australia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:53 am

This is still my favourite (selfish) comment on Cracked's superhero nitpicking.

Plugging the hole.png
Plugging the hole.png (36.71 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

And this negates any flaws in the genre:

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby LaChaise » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm kinda sick of people saying you can't have both.

My favorite superhero series are Batman:TAS and The Brave and the Bold, because they managed to do exactly that, each with an emphasis on one of these aspects.
TAS gave us gritty Batman, with a somber, kinda bleak world and devastating storylines (like the one where Penguin reforms only to be rejected by everybody), while still being entertaining and funny (like the Ivy/Harley storyline, that still has a serious aspect, what with the abusive boyfriend side of the story).

Case in point

tB&tB gave us the exact opposite: a silver age homage that was completely hilarious (NPH as the Music Meister anyone?) but also had more serious moment like the Starro storyline and was even downright depressing at times: I'll never not cry at the death of Ted Kord.

Seriously, he just was the perfect BFF for Batman,
and it only took them two minutes to make us realize that.

Yes you can have both, but it takes good writers who love what they do and know what they're doing. So I guess we're not going to see this become the majority of superhero movies anytime soon.
Also, we need more tB&tB. It ended at the right time and the last episode was perfect, but still, I don't care, I want more goddammit.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby LegionofShrooms » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 pm

I honestly think that before they're allowed to release another movie, the writers should be forced to binge watch TBATB and the entire Bruce Timm DCAU.

In fact, just get Bruce Timm to write it. If anyone can balance drama with comedy (and isn't Joss Whedon), then he's your man. And he was doing the whole shared universe thing waaaaaay before Marvel, so Justice League (the live action movie) would probably have been better set up if he could've done it.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil