The Revised Editorial Process

Got a story you want to be featured on the front page / portal?

Here's where it gets done.

Moderator: Learned Nand

Re: The Revised Editorial Process

Postby Learned Nand » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:01 am

I don't believe PHPBB allows you to do this. Let me try to make one.

EDIT: I apparently can't. We seem to have a mod installed that turns images into lightboxes where you can click the thumbnails to see the full size, so I cannot create a new tag. Just scale it down in MS Paint.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Marcuse » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:32 am

Yeah, all the images for articles are saved to my PC and uploaded to a TCS imgur anyway, so if things are too big or too small, I can resize them then. I tend to prefer a reasonably uniform sizing, but I can easily do that myself.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:44 am

Marcuse wrote:Yeah, all the images for articles are saved to my PC and uploaded to a TCS imgur anyway, so if things are too big or too small, I can resize them then. I tend to prefer a reasonably uniform sizing, but I can easily do that myself.

I always ask Marcuse to resize images for my articles. It's like our special thing now!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:19 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby LegionofShrooms » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:32 am

Huh. Guess I'm still breaking out of being used to the SMF setup.

Anyways, I'll try to get a relatively uniform sizing for my images, but if not, please don't throw me to the lions (Eric might get jealous that someone else is mauling me)

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Marcuse » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:36 pm

please don't throw me to the lions

But seriously for a second, this isn't place where you'll get yelled at/overly criticised for a mistake or any sort of formatting problem with an article. In the main, I'll just clean it up and send you a PM saying "here's what I done, is that okay?" and if there's something you don't like then we can work together.

My philosophy for articles is to enable TCSers to write things and get them on the front page. We're not working to commercial standards, and as such, I encourage expression and a breadth of topics. We have an article about canning peaches, and about weird Spanish TV and about what to do when you think you got Ebola. There isn't really a standard beyond "are you interested enough in it to write about 800-1000 words about it and grab a few images".

Obviously something that's well written is better than a mess, and obviously you want to take pride in your work, but don't fret about it too much, because we're here to help with that!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:29 am

Alright. I've finally finished the rough draft of my article.

I do have a few questions (surprising, I know) before I submit it.

It's no about a serious subject per say-it's mostly about insane alternate versions of famous comic characters. Should I still provide sources? If so, how would I decide upon what sources are relevant? Would it be most anything used on researching/writing the topic, and is there a specific way I should group them? Do I need sources for my images used too?

Anyways, like I said, rough draft is done and saved and I will submit it after I know what I need (if anything) to submit with the actual content (a lot of what I used is actually hyperlinked in the article itself). Some parts I'm happy with, others are admittedly a bit rough, but I wanted to at least get the ideas out on the page.

I tried to make it look and feel as much like a Cracked article as possible, simply because I do like the flow of their style of article, but any criticism (positive or negative) on the flow, writing style, jokes or content is not only accepted but welcomed, as I'm (admittedly) a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to making something of my own, and would appreciate any help from those interested to see to it that it's as good as possible. After all, at the end of the day we're mostly doing these to entertain one another, so I may as well out forth a solid effort on it.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:34 am

You should provide sources for your image. In fact, it's best if you ensure you have the rights to use them. We reupload them on imgur to save link rot, so it doesn't matter if you're hotlinking to things via the [img] tag. As the chief editor, Marcuse can say for certain, but it's probably fine, and if there are any issues we can clean them up in editing and you'll be able to see and approve of what was done.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:47 am

aviel wrote:You should provide sources for your image. In fact, it's best if you ensure you have the rights to use them. We reupload them on imgur to save link rot, so it doesn't matter if you're hotlinking to things via the [img] tag. As the chief editor, Marcuse can say for certain, but it's probably fine, and if there are any issues we can clean them up in editing and you'll be able to see and approve of what was done.

If I'm mostly using public/information specific sources, how do I know if I have the rights to use them?

(Sorry about all this. I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally new at all this when it comes to the whole copyright/legalities end of things).

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:52 am

You can't copyright information. Something like "alcoholism costs the economy almost $200 billion every year" is a fact and cannot be copyrighted. Images can be copyrighted, and you should check under what license. When you look for images using Google Image Search ,you can filter by rights; you'll generally want to look for images licensed for reuse, or licensed for reuse with modification if you are going to be modifying them in any way.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:00 am

aviel wrote:You can't copyright information. Something like "alcoholism costs the economy almost $200 billion every year" is a fact and cannot be copyrighted. Images can be copyrighted, and you should check under what license. When you look for images using Google Image Search ,you can filter by rights; you'll generally want to look for images licensed for reuse, or licensed for reuse with modification if you are going to be modifying them in any way.

Ah, alright. Did not know that last bit regarding search functions, so I'll go through and check again.

I should be able to work around most of them regardless, although there are a few images (or variations of an image from a certain issue, at least) that I would like to find available for reuse, as some of them honestly just work better with a visual. Well, one in particular at least.

Thank you for your help.

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Well damn. It seems most of the panels I'd aimed to use for imagery are not lie ended for reuse :|

Guess I'll have to get creative.

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 am

Woohoo! The stuff with the words and the pictures and the funny is finally submitted

Managed to find most of the images I needed and got creative for the ones I couldn't. Serious thanks to everyone that was patient and answered my questions throughout this process. Here's hoping that the end result turns out well and that I'm marginally less of a pain in the backside next time.

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby NoodleFox » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Sooooo I'm a really big mythology/urban legend buff and I really want to share some of the stuff I learned with all of you. I'm a pretty decent writer (at least by fictional standards ;3 ). But I may need some help on the image front. Like the captions.
Plus, I don't think I'm as funny as everyone else....

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby Marcuse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Sooooo I'm a really big mythology/urban legend buff and I really want to share some of the stuff I learned with all of you. I'm a pretty decent writer (at least by fictional standards ;3 ). But I may need some help on the image front. Like the captions.
Plus, I don't think I'm as funny as everyone else....

Please feel free to write up and submit an article, we can work on other things like images. I do have a habit of finding people images more often than not (lookin' at you Jamish <3). Don't worry if it's not necessarily funny, I can add some jokes in, and if the content is interesting then it'll stand on its own anyway. Hope to see a Noodlefox article in the queue soon! :D

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

PreviousNext