5 Lessons Fat Albert Should Have Taught Bill Cosby

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Lessons Fat Albert Should Have Taught Bill Cosby

Postby subotai » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Seems like a doozy. Tow quote user Mexijesus:
"Rape jokes are never funny."

Caption on next picture: "This is how you rape wool."

It's starts off " I'm not saying Cosby is or isn't guilty". By the end of the article, it was hard to take that seriously.
As I posted there the 'stats' argument was particularly odious, as it's that kind of thinking that has a lot of innocent people in prison.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Re: 5 Lessons Fat Albert Should Have Taught Bill Cosby

Postby LegionofShrooms » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Meh. I honestly saw Cracked trying to cover a controversial topic and nope'd out of there.

It's really weird, because it seems like they can do it most of the time when it involves life experiences from few people, but if they try to take a stance on a broader topic, they botch it horribly.

Course, there are a few exceptions (for all my qualms with him, I thought Wong's piece on Robin Williams was surprisingly well done).

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby subotai » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:41 pm

From the author's twitter - "Need me some coffee & a bagel. I may need sustenance while reading the hate & mansplaining in the comments section today."

"Any time I read a meninist rant online,I'm so grateful none of the men in my family are like that. Real men>whiny boys trolling the net."

Her attitude in the comments isn't so bad, it's almost as if she thinks commenters can't read her twitter and see just how disingenuous she really is.
Another author who seems to loathe comment sections.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 pm

From my twitter - "Rule one: Never ever ever read the comments to your own work."

"So glad the author to 5 Lessons ... Bill Cosby is a sexist bitch. Makes it easier to hate her writing."

I also left this for the author because of her comments on how she was being sarcastic.

"Remember people, authors are a soft touchy bunch especially when they write on the internet. So be kind in your words and give them a hug.

BAM! THAT'S SARCASM CHER!"

"My IP address paid good money to see this article, I demand better!
$0.001 dollars?? I guess I get what I paid for."

Last edited by NathanLoiselle on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby subotai » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:20 pm

You have a Twitter?

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:25 pm

I have a twitter?
Holy shit! I do! I should start using it.

I took the plastic bag challenge and now I'm a smarty man!

Last edited by NathanLoiselle on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby subotai » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:29 pm

I briefly signed up, but it was a baffling ordeal of rage and blockbots.

That and the hugboxes. Like the author above's feed, full of really sickly sycophants. I mean what's the appeal in sucking up so nauseatingly to a stranger?*shudder*

There's something honest about a good-natured jab, but when someone is singing your praises, I find it makes me suspicious.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 am

In fairness to Cher, the authors don't do the pictures/captions. And in fairness to her argument, there's a pretty overwhelming amount of evidence that Cosby was up to something unsavory whether it actually involved drugs or not.

Her attitude still sucks, though. And that "statistics" argument made me physically cringe.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:46 am

Cher Martinetti is actually pretty much all but shouting "Stop trying to correct me!" in the comments.......

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby subotai » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:55 am

She actually gave in and posted "Cosby did it. There, that better? ;)" in response to one comment.

I wonder if that made Cracked lawyers clench just a little.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:24 am

I would like to repost what I posted in the comments here. I used my alt account sseibert83 since that's the one I was signed into on my phone. Subotai already saw it. Given the response to it, it probably would've been a top comment if only I had posted it earlier in the day. Here it goes:

"Rape jokes are never funny"

I don't know about that. Remember that article Cracked did that talked about how many shows the Detective Munch character was in? It had a picture of Detective Munch as a Muppet with the caption, "There must be a lot of rapes on Sesame Street." That was pretty funny.

Remember the article with the woman from ancient Rome who was sentenced to be raped to death by a giraffe specially trained to mete out that punishment? That was pretty funny.

Remember that mug of pens sketch Cracked did. A guy says, "I'm so angry I could rape somebody!" Then DOB covers in fear, but the camera cuts away before he presumably gets violently raped. That was pretty funny.

Oh and remember when DOB was raped again, this time by his own doppleganger on Agents of Cracked? That was f*****g hilarious. Daniel O'Brien being RAPED by HIMSELF. I couldn't stop laughing.

I understand that sometimes a joke can be absolutely tasteless though. Like when Penny Arcade ran that dickwolves comic. That was WAAAAAAAAAY over the line. I'm glad Cracked called them on it.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby subotai » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:11 am

I don't object to people, in this case, the editors and writers, changing over time and taking different views on what's acceptable.

Thing is, when it happens over such a short period of time, and they are calling out others for things they give themselves a free pass on, then it's the hypocrisy Esteban points out.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DomaDoma » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Starts by telling everyone who doesn't believe in the rape charge that there's nothing for them; spends the entire rest of the article screaming at the people who should have left in a way that made me try and reexamine the circumstances for Cosby's rape accusations just to be sure I wasn't partaking in a witch hunt. And no, he's still almost certainly guilty. Lots of independent corroboration is the best proof possible for anything people you've never met did. But lawks.

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered,
Never knowing the reason why,
But whoever treasures freedom,
Like the swallow, must learn to fly.
DomaDoma
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Future Alik'r

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun May 17, 2015 11:31 pm

LegionofShrooms wrote:Meh. I honestly saw Cracked trying to cover a controversial topic and nope'd out of there.

It's really weird, because it seems like they can do it most of the time when it involves life experiences from few people, but if they try to take a stance on a broader topic, they botch it horribly.

Course, there are a few exceptions (for all my qualms with him, I thought Wong's piece on Robin Williams was surprisingly well done).

I didn't entirely like that tribute. For one, Williams was always a punching bag for the writers, like Phil Collins still is, and the way it was written wasn't really a tribute, but more of a suicide and depression awareness article. It felt insulting because it was pretty much "can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

EDIT: Oh, and Cher just joined us. Go to the thread I started on her latest article.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic