Anime and Manga

What do you do with your free time?

Re: Anime and Manga

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 am

Matthew Notch wrote:I can only say this, Eric: my food has, in the past, caused clothing to be torn off. Read into that what you will. :P

;)

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:10 am

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Yeah, that's right. The very Western-friendly ones. Deal with it, yo.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:20 pm

I usually find that the anime adaptations are superior to the manga, with a few exceptions. Say what you will about filler arcs or "Gecko Endings" (as TV Tropes calls them -- also, good luck getting out of TV Tropes now), but crisp animation and good voice acting always improve a story.

In terms of recommendations:

If y'all couldn't tell, I'm a huge fan of Kill la Kill. The fight scenes rock, the characters are lovable, and the art style is vivid and unique. It's fairly heavy on fanservice at first, but it deals with it in a tongue-in-cheek manner, so it's easy to get past if you aren't usually tolerant of that kind of thing. Just be prepared to cry a couple of times if you watch it, though: I've gone through thrice and certain episodes have never ceased to affect me emotionally.

Other anime I'd recommend include Claymore (until the shitty ending), Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, .hack//Sign, Kiniro Mosaic, Canaan, and Simoun.

I'm shamefully under-experienced with manga, but I can safely recommend Girl Friends and the manga version of Claymore.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:26 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:
I'm shamefully under-experienced with manga, but I can safely recommend Girl Friends and the manga version of Claymore.

A Cheeky Angel, Shokugeki no Souma, Ode To Kirihito, and Buddha would be my recommendations if you want to increase your scope of manga.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Taluun » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:29 pm

While I have been watching a few anime series since I was little, like digimon, gundam, dbz and the like I only started looking for stuff in the past year.

I tend to like anime more than manga but I have found a few mangas that I just loved like Monster for example.

Favorite animes would have to be Code Geass, the Monogatari series, and Steins;Gate.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:I usually find that the anime adaptations are superior to the manga, with a few exceptions. Say what you will about filler arcs or "Gecko Endings" (as TV Tropes calls them -- also, good luck getting out of TV Tropes now), but crisp animation and good voice acting always improve a story.

No.

I can't tell you the number of times that the anime fucks things up. Major fucking plots points. Or you know, stops in the middle of the story-just like Claymore.

I mean, don't get me wrong some of the animes are great and I still enjoy them but you're missing HUGE chunks of the story with, say, Trigun.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:28 pm

sunglasses wrote:
KleinerKiller wrote:I usually find that the anime adaptations are superior to the manga, with a few exceptions. Say what you will about filler arcs or "Gecko Endings" (as TV Tropes calls them -- also, good luck getting out of TV Tropes now), but crisp animation and good voice acting always improve a story.

No.

I can't tell you the number of times that the anime fucks things up. Major fucking plots points. Or you know, stops in the middle of the story-just like Claymore.

I mean, don't get me wrong some of the animes are great and I still enjoy them but you're missing HUGE chunks of the story with, say, Trigun.

To each their own, then.

I usually do a bit of research when I watch an anime rooted in a manga, to make sure that nothing is too heavily altered for the worse. Minor changes don't bother me when the anime as a whole is enjoyable, and it usually is; that might be because of the varieties of anime I happen to watch being more suited to the anime medium, or because I tick things off the to-watch list if I find negative comparisons between the two adaptations. So far, the only anime I've watched to completion that truly, undeniably fucks things up is Claymore (and I've ranted extensively about its problems before).

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:48 pm

I'd say the worst gecko ending is the ending of the Strawberry 100% anime. There was like, over 150 chapters left of the manga.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:53 am

So High School DxD came out with it's 3rd Season today. However, no subtitles could be found predictably.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:02 am

Kevin_Durant wrote:So High School DxD came out with it's 3rd Season today. However, no subtitles could be found predictably.

Yeah, with gogoanime or illegal streaming sites, the sub is always a day aft the dub.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri May 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Well I'm not exactly young so I'm not sure which categories are which, but I do like that "Attack on Titan" cartoon.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri May 29, 2015 3:17 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Well I'm not exactly young so I'm not sure which categories are which, but I do like that "Attack on Titan" cartoon.

DoglovingJim wrote:I do like that "Attack on Titan" cartoon.

DoglovingJim wrote:cartoon.

I am displeased with this wording. You have displeased me, Jim.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sat May 30, 2015 9:31 am

Cartoon Cartoons!

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I need some advice from my fellow anime fans, but I don't think it's worth starting a new thread.

Is it worth my time to get into One Piece? I've heard nothing but good things about it from sources I trust, and things I've read about the characters and certain turns of events sound like they'd appeal to me. But of course there's the matter of its daunting length and the fact that it's probably not even close to finishing, and since I only tend to watch one anime at a time, catching up would take up a significant chunk of my time.

So, questions for the knowledgable: Is it worth it in terms of quality? Are there any significant flaws you can talk about without major spoilers? Is it necessary to start at the very beginning? What kind of filler comes up, and how much of it can actually be skipped without missing character development or something? Is it better to watch in Japanese or with a particular English dub? Etc, etc. Answer whatever you feel is relevant.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 pm

I found a lot of amazing anime over the summer. One I'm currently watching is the Monogatari series, mostly known for the memetic character song Renai Circulation.

I'm also currently watching Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, Snow White With the Red Hair, and Junjou Romantica 3.

I've also watched a very good anime series that I highly recommend called Shin Sekai Yori.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Previous