A.T.B Drops the Troll Act. Seemingly for Good.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

A.T.B Drops the Troll Act. Seemingly for Good.

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:11 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-socially- ... an-for_p2/

I told you guys. A.T.B's a deliberate troll. He only writes terrible articles to fuck with us and drive up clicks. As it turns out he's fully capable of writing good articles that are as funny as any other on the site.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: A.T.B Drops the Troll Act. Seemingly for Good.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Well, they have Jason Iannone and that one Tumblr chick, so neither ATB or JF Sargent are bound by their old article styles anymore.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: ATB Drops the Troll Act. Seemingly for Good.

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:25 pm

No, it can't be. This can't be ATB!!!

Adam Tod Brown wrote:If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and go get beat the fuck up right now. It will be good for you and everyone else.

... but that's so of ATB!!! I must have awakened in the Bizzaro Universe this morning!!!

Edit: OK, OK, in all seriousness thought, ATB can write whatever he likes, and it's not like he can't write a decent article.

Last edited by Edgar Cabrera on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Well, they have Jason Iannone and that one Tumblr chick, so neither ATB or JF Sargent are bound by their old article styles anymore.

Time to pass the torch, eh?

I think we're building a Dynasty of Hatred, at long last.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Nullbert » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Oh no! This is one of the signs of the apocalypse, isn't it.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 pm

I'll believe it when his fifth article from now doesn't suck.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Sorry to be that guy, but can we maybe give it a rest a bit on the getting at actual authors? Speaking as just little old me of course. If ATB writes shitty articles, then by all means say they're shitty, but I find this obsessive scrutiny of the person, not the work, a little uncomfortable. ATB can write whatever he likes, and we're free to say he's written something shit. If he wants to troll his readers, then sure, criticise that, but banging on about him like he can't write a decent article feels less like legitimate criticism of Cracked's output and more like snarking at the man behind some of it because he seems like a bit of a dick.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh no that's the opposite of what I'm trying to do here. I mean to say that AT B is a perfectly good writer.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I haven't read the article in question, but I've said plenty of times before that ATB can and does write good comedy when he focuses on comedy instead of complaining about something. If you read his articles from when he first started writing for Cracked as a columnist (I think he did freelance work before that, but I'm not sure if I read those) they're pretty funny. Once he switched to just bitching about things they took a major drop in quality.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Marcuse wrote:Sorry to be that guy, but can we maybe give it a rest a bit on the getting at actual authors? Speaking as just little old me of course. If ATB writes shitty articles, then by all means say they're shitty, but I find this obsessive scrutiny of the person, not the work, a little uncomfortable. ATB can write whatever he likes, and we're free to say he's written something shit. If he wants to troll his readers, then sure, criticise that, but banging on about him like he can't write a decent article feels less like legitimate criticism of Cracked's output and more like snarking at the man behind some of it because he seems like a bit of a dick.

When I said "I'd believe..." I meant that I'd believe he's stopped trolling. Not that he'd prove he can write.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Oh, Nathan, thatindianguy, I wasn't responding to either of you directly, I was just expressing my concern about the tone of the commentary in general. I don't have a specific beef with Nathan's comment, or this thread, I just thought of a thing and wanted to say the thing.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:34 pm

Someone mentioned my name! Joy! :)

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:I haven't read the article in question, but I've said plenty of times before that ATB can and does write good comedy when he focuses on comedy instead of complaining about something. If you read his articles from when he first started writing for Cracked as a columnist (I think he did freelance work before that, but I'm not sure if I read those) they're pretty funny. Once he switched to just bitching about things they took a major drop in quality.

The Crackhead Kenny article was a good example of that. It seems like his comedy is pretty good, but most of his opinion based articles are, well frankly, crap.

I honestly passed it over simply because I saw his name and I've wearied of the incessant complaining most of his articles feature these days, but if it's genuinely worth reading, I might check it out.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby cmsellers » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:28 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:I haven't read the article in question, but I've said plenty of times before that ATB can and does write good comedy when he focuses on comedy instead of complaining about something. If you read his articles from when he first started writing for Cracked as a columnist (I think he did freelance work before that, but I'm not sure if I read those) they're pretty funny. Once he switched to just bitching about things they took a major drop in quality.

His freelance articles were very similar to the stuff that Felix Clay does now. The one I most distinctly remember was him going undercover at a Justin Bieber concert. I was certain it was a Bucholz article, complimented Bucholz in the comments, and then realized that no, this was some new guy had actually gone and done the sort of thing Bucholz only writes about. Admittedly, ATB didn't break any laws in that article, which probably should have been my first clue.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player