8 Things Some A$$#ole Says in Every Debate About Sexism

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

8 Things Some A$$#ole Says in Every Debate About Sexism

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:51 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-a242423ol ... nism-used/

He forgot #9. The one who thinks they have a right to be as big an asshole as they want if they call themselves a feminist. Usually in the form of flamey articles about how super obscure female comic characters are so much better for film adaptations than popular male ones.

Seriously though the comments for this one are filling up with self professed 'card carrying feminists' who are basically going, 'Yeah no. you're just a douche.'

Last edited by Bert on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: McKinney McKinneying it up.

Postby sunglasses » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Well now I have to log in and see this.

I hope you know what you've done.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:19 pm

I like how the title guy is apparently so confused as what to call this train wreck of an article, he's censoring a random H.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

This is the comment I wrote on the article.

I don't think everyone who isn't a feminist is an anti-feminist. (Or an "asshole.") When it comes to feminism, it's more important to walk the walk than it is to talk the talk. If somebody calls themselves an MRA but treats women as equals and shows understanding of sexism, they are cool people. If somebody calls themselves feminist but only as an excuse to be a misogynist dickhead, fuck them. I don't like this idea that everyone needs to call themselves a feminist.

I mean, the premise of this article is correct. Anti-feminist assholes exist. It's just not a point that needs to be made. I'm bored of articles that make up a group of people and insult them. I also don't like the implication that everyone who is not a feminist is a neckbeard. Or a Vulcan cheating at Scrabble.
What am I even reading wrote:These commenters are Kings of Polysyllabilogic (the art of proving a point with really long words they aren't actually using correctly). They write like Vulcans cheating at Scrabble. They try to sound like alien energy beings who've never even heard of these hu-man "testicles" but feel an altruistic compulsion to list impossible errors in anything threatening their scrotal sanctity. As if the desire for equal rights was a Star Trek computer malfunction that could be exploded if you convince it of one mistake.

Also since when does Cracked censor the word asshole? Not even TV censors that.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby subotai » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:39 pm

I think this might actually be the low point for Cracked. I can't say Im surprised it came form McKinney.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't get how this is a bad article.

But I'm biased-I like McKinney.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tuli » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Sigh.

Now, obviously I'm a feminist. And I think there's a lot of people on the Internet who don't really understand what feminism is, but this article doesn't do anything to educate or convince them, it just fans the flames of hostility.

I think one of the biggest mistakes people do is thinking that feminism is some monolithic entity that has uniform views on every issue. When in reality, there are different schools of thought who debate with each other all the time. You can't just take one person and act like they're a representative of every other feminist in the world, like whenever Sarkeesian says something and a bunch of guys go 'fuck feminism'.

ugh, I feel like I can't formulate any coherent thoughts about this subject right now because I just drank a bottle of mead and am a total lightweight.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Hoo boy, here we go.

So, McKinney's doing an article that's simply enumerating the various types of acceptable targets Cracked has already been repeatedly and fruitlessly swinging at for the past couple years? These are the very same people that Cracked continues to antagonize for the sake of outrage clicks.

Sure, guys. Have fun with that. We know it's pretty blatantly transparent that you're courting the assholes just as much as you are pandering to people on your own side. Their clicks are worth the same to your buddies at Demand Media.

I can't get behind feminist-in-name-only articles that are interested only in identifying so-called enemies and working up a frenzy. It's the same unhelpful, tribalistic bullshit. There's no benefit to articles like this, beyond making the editorial staff feel "brave" for getting a writer to address an immaterial foe, and for the smug people in the comments to get all puffed-up and sneer something about how they're "inb4 MRA shitstorm".

Welcome to the new circlejerk. Spinning our wheels for "feminism"!

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:08 pm

I dislike this article.

I suppose I find it difficult to take an article seriously when it relies on calling its targets "assholes" as a substitute for "anti-feminists". The idea that one can apply a negative epithet to a disparate group of people with varying views that may or may not oppose feminist theory is... well it's the logic he's trying to argue against, and it sort of kills his own argument.

His points about arguing are strange. Asking for proof when arguing is generally accepted to be legitimate when people make objective claims about things. For example, "I like Shatner" is fine unsupported, but "most people like Shatner" would be a target for questioning. I get that asking for proof of everything is a bad thing when it's used as a weapon to shut down people talking about something they think is important. The only problem is, this article addresses these issues in perhaps the most ham-fisted way possible.

This is especially apparent when it comes to the point about semantics. It's common that arguments about semantics are a byword for pointless quibbling over the meaning of something everyone accepts as having a certain meaning, but anyone with any training in philosophy knows that sematic distinctions between the usage of words is very important. Couple this with his complaint that these "assholes" use "long words" to argue against feminists, it seems to be an act of wilful ignorance to fail to engage with a discussion about the meaning of words used.

I understand that it's not nice to criticise someone based on something unrelated they said before, but the idea that searching through someone's other utterances to seek a better understanding of their point of view is bad is weird to me. Sure the "saint or GTFO" mentality is bad, but I've never seen it used. In fact this is the first I'm hearing of it, and I'm sceptical. Honestly the closest thing I can relate to this is that US politicians are often criticised on their voting record, and if that's the case, why would we not see this included in arguments?

Victim blaming or accusing people of faking it is bad, but there's a difference between corroboration and denial. Too often, I see people who don't immediately take all accusations of abuse at face value told they're accusing the complainant of lying merely because they don't accept what's being said right away. There's reasonable scepticism, and there's accusing a victim of lying. I feel like this point misses that.

#4 is funny to me. The idea that Wheaton's law doesn't apply if you're feminist enough is just pure hilarity. I'm assuming it's a joke.

#3 is more interesting generalisations about a topic while complaining about unfair generalisations.

You can't dismiss an entire concept because one supporter is an asshole.

Unless it's, you know, anti-feminist.

#2 is another weird point, because it sort of cuts both ways as well. Why is it okay for feminists to say we can't complain about video game journalism because sexism exists, when the same logic is invalid for "assholes"?

#1 is also hilarious:

"I'm not a feminist, I'm an equalist." They're not an equalist, they're an asshole.

Nice to know that agreeing with Luke McKinney completely without deviation is the only way to avoid being an asshole. Wishing to identify with a more gender-neutral term for progressive equality is being an asshole?

This last point is the tail end of why I don't like this article. Throughout, the author demonstrates that this kind of thinking doesn't even represent most feminists let alone most people.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby subotai » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:27 pm

You don't have to be actively Anti-Feminist to fall foul of Cracekd anymore, you just have to criticise it.
Women who do so are 'just misguided'. God help you if you're a man though, because it simply must be because of misogyny.

It's ridiculous, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't see how anyone could support an article that is nothing but insults and strawmen.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Marcuse wrote:This is especially apparent when it comes to the point about semantics. It's common that arguments about semantics are a byword for pointless quibbling over the meaning of something everyone accepts as having a certain meaning, but anyone with any training in philosophy knows that sematic distinctions between the usage of words is very important. Couple this with his complaint that these "assholes" use "long words" to argue against feminists, it seems to be an act of wilful ignorance to fail to engage with a discussion about the meaning of words used.

That bothered me also, especially because so many radical types have a fetish for re-defining words. For example, some feminists insist that misandry does not exist and sexism cannot apply to men, regardless of what the dictionary says. It seems like Newspeak to me, and it seems like lunacy to think you can eliminate any concept you don't like by claiming anyone who looks at the dictionary is a loser.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Honestly Luke the type of guy who's obsessed with being 'right' and sees any disagreement in the harshest possible light. That is I find nothing wrong in saying that discussions of feminism bring out sexists but it's patently idiotic and self serving to claim that all who criticise it are as shoes.

Then on the flip side he seems to relish being combative and drawing in those very same critics. Just look at his superhero articles. Anyone could talk about the plus points of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel as film subjects and even talk about ow historically sexists may have held these characters back. But he decides to include obscure heroines who would make terrible films , arguments so poor the must be deliberate and also suits on other popular characters because either he's baiting people or he's 7 and can't conceive of a situation where insults don't make him seem like a big guy.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:25 pm

I find it hard to get angry at Cracked about stuff like this because at the end of the day, they're a business and like most other businesses, they're in the business of doing business. So long as people keep clicking on these humorless rants at a greater pace than their funnier and less inflammatory articles, why should they stop? The click counter doesn't sort outraged viewers from approving ones. I don't like a lot of their political articles myself, but I'm not going to be the one to tell them "hey, you've got to start getting less traffic and making less money so I'll be happy with what I'm reading."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 pm

So the top two comments are deleted. Did something big happen or are they just deleting them willy nilly.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:02 pm

I called McKinney a skilled idiot for sucking all humor out of his article.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next