5 Ways Movies Start To Suck When You Get Older

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Ways Movies Start To Suck When You Get Older

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:18 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-movies-start-to-suck-as-you-get-older/
Goddamn it, time! Stop robbing us of our childhoods! I don't wanna! I don't wanna!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Ways Movies Start To Suck When You Get Older

Postby LegionofShrooms » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Huh. Is that one any good? I tend to ignore articles that have a title suggesting Cracked just wants to tell me how everything I like sucks or is secretly sexist or racist.

'course, accurate titles aren't exactly Cracked's shtick, but whatever.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:52 pm

God dammit Cracked! Now I have to hand in my Dirty Old Man card because I didn't find any of these to be true to me.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:07 pm

When I was a kid, movies went uphill both ways. We had to change the batteries ourselves. 100% of movies were racist and all of us were black. AND THAT'S HOW WE LIKED IT DAMMIT.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:38 am

How could McClane be sure that Hans wouldn't react to the dead terrorist in the elevator by executing random hostages every five minutes until McClane gave himself up?

Huh, that's exactly what I thought after seeing the film. Why didn't Gruber do it? He had a lot of hostages and he was planning on killing them all anyway.

I also had the problem with Close Encounters the article describes, except I didn't have to grow old for it. I haven't actually seen the movie, but I read the novelization as a child. There's a scene in it, I don't know if it's in the movie, where Roy tries to build a model of the mountain he's obsessed with. Early in one morning, his little daughter comes in, and asks if he's going to yell at them again today.

"Neary gazed down into her clear, guileless eyes. That was how he looked to her - a yelling machine. And she was prepared to accept more yelling because she loved him."

Roy is overwhelmed with guilt, and decides to destroy the model. But when he breaks off the top, he realizes that's how the mountain is supposed to look like, and he starts to build it with renewed enthusiasm. That's when his wife leaves him and takes the kids. And we're supposed to see this as a positive thing? Fuck, no. Yeah, establishing contact with the aliens is important, but professionals were working on it.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep