Lincoln Is A Bartender and a General Named Hooker

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Lincoln Is A Bartender and a General Named Hooker

Postby LegionofShrooms » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_22104_5- ... about.html

See, stuff like this is why I have so much trouble quitting Cracked.

For a their preachy "everything you love is sexist/racist/stupid/insert here" articles or dickery regarding the comments, they have something like this that reminds me why I fell in love with them in the first place.

I mean... A Civil War general that ran brothels (I also learned the origins of the word hooker today, thanks Cracked!) and Lincoln as a bartender. This is the kind of stuff I go on to see.

Also, check out the top comment before it gets deleted. Seems we are not alone in our sentiments.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Re: Lincoln Is A Bartender and a General Named Hooker

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Whew, good thing that I found some time to read this.

But, one of the comments directed me to an article with the Cracked-like title, "5 Word Origin Myths You Probably Believe." One cites a "hooker" reference from 1845, well before the Civil War. I pretty sure the article author knows this, too, from the phrasing of "the word 'hooker' in the 'prostitute' sense soon cemented its place in the English lexicon." Technically true, but most readers will come away thinking that means the article explained where it originated.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Re: Lincoln Is A Bartender and a General Named Hooker

Postby AboveGL » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:46 pm

I'll read the article some time in the near future. However, I'm enjoying the top comment and the debate.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep