4 Opinions So Popular You Don't Realize They're Stereotypes

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Opinions So Popular You Don't Realize They're Stereotypes

Postby EvilerDictator » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Pretty sure they changed the title of this one since I read it this afternoon:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-opinions-so-popular-you-dont-realize-theyre-stereotypes/

The bindi and Indian/Pakistani dress one especially sucks as I have a lot of friends who would probably be upset about how it's being used and abused.

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Re: 4 Opinions So Popular You Don't Realize They're Stereoty

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 pm

the bindi as a jewelry piece has been going on since the 90's. I remember when Gwen Stefani would wear one.

Not that she's a shining beacon of an example as she has also used Asian women as essentially props.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:17 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby thatindianguy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:27 pm

I feel like I should clarify a few things. See there's nothing wrong with an artist using this stuff. What sucks is it being used poorly. Let everyone give you an example. Once on tumblr there was a post of a guy who got an Om symbol tattooed on his foot. Some people were upset that a white guy had that tattoo. But they were wrong the problem wasn't that he was white or that he's non Hindu it was that he had it on his foot which is considered the least clean part of the body.
So the problem isn't that a white person used Indian themes it's that it was Iggy doing it and suckIng.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:29 pm

I'll just leave KatsuroRicksand's comment here:
KatsuroRicksand wrote:I agree that cultural appropriation is a huge problem. Therefore, I made this list of ways to stop it! I got all the stuff on it from Tumblr. (Sure, I could have read an actual book, but reading books is, like, such a pain, you know? Like, who's got the time for that? Books are, like, hard and stuff.)

1. Don't wear foreign culture's everyday clothes, like a sari, as your everyday clothes. It's very disrespectful to treat everyday clothes as if they were everyday clothes!

2. Don't, like, eat foreign food; that's cultural appropriation. So for instance, sushi restaurants and pizza parlours shouldn't have any black customers.

3. Don't use traditional Chinese medicine unless you are ethnically Chinese. Otherwise you're stealing Chinese culture. So obviously, black people who need such medicine to cure an illness should just lay down and die, and traditional Chinese doctors shouldn't cure blacks. That's cultural appropriation.

4. The idea that it's wrong to draw pictures of the prophet Mohammed is, like, a Muslim tradition. If you follow it without being a Muslim, you're stealing the lovely traditions of Islam. So all you non-Muslims: Make sure to respect the heritage of Muslims by drawing the prophet Mohammed, so that the Muslims get to keep their tradition of not drawing him!

5. If you're white or black and decide to become a Buddhist, you're, like, appropriating Eastern culture!!!! So don't do that!!! I know the Buddha never said only Asians should reach enlightenment but I'm sure he meant to!

VI. Don't appropriate the rich cultural heritage of the Arab world by using Arabic numerals. Stick to the Roman ones that are a part of your heritage. Obviously, people of African descent shouldn't use either Roman or Arabic numerals. So all my black friends mustn't use the number keys on their keyboards!

VII. The Sumerians invented writing, so nobody but their descendants should write. Writing is cultural appropriatio- Oh dang.]

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Also, Asian men are not allowed to wear suits, because that's appropriating Western culture.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby subotai » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:20 pm

The Irish one was interesting. It's quite true that it's one of the last 'acceptable' stereotypes.

I did point something out to a commenter who talked about their Irish-Catholic neighbourhood, and how it fit the stereotype. That's not Irish, that's Irish American We're related, but after several centuries of being settled in an area, you aren't really Irish anymore. I can see why people wouldn't like that, IA's have been calling hemselves Irish since arriving, and they, in turn have suffered for it.

Still, Ireland has diverged quite a bit from what a nth-Gen IA would recognise.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby EvilerDictator » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:21 am

Yes the Irish one did remind me of the whole 'Irish-American' thing. They really love the Irish over there don't they? Its been so long, I'd think they'd be happy being just American by now.

Plus it makes me sad that nobody in America wants to be Welsh-American.

We're cool too, guys, we have dragons :(

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross