Iannone's an attention desperate putz

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Iannone's an attention desperate putz

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-you-learn-when-accused-plotting-mass-murder/
He's saying that the police totally should have paid more attention to him because he ,like, wore black clothes and wrote poetry and stuff. And like, rotting in jail would be totes awesome!
Spoiler: show

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Iannone's an attention desperate putz

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Yeah, despite what he went through, he thinks the person who reported him for writing a poem about blood or something did the right thing. I strongly disagree. There's no significant connection between unhappy poetry and mass murder. There are behaviors that should be genuine cause for concern, but emo whining is not one of them. It's really stupid to assume the police or other authorities will be reasonable people, so please leave the crying emos alone.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-you-learn-when-accused-plotting-mass-murder/
He's saying that the police totally should have paid more attention to him because he ,like, wore black clothes and wrote poetry and stuff. And like, rotting in jail would be totes awesome!
Spoiler: show

I honestly didn't think he meant any of that. I do think he meant that the response of the cops and the school was pretty lax.

When I was accused of a gun threat (right after Columbine) I had the principal screaming at me outside next to the buses and accusing me of lying and the cops at my house accusing me of lying. Not once did they even listen to my side of the story. I had to have the one girl I ride the bus to school with exonerate me. She collaborated that I was asleep on the bus, and didn't talk to anyone despite ONE report that I planned the whole thing in detail and told this chick everything that morning. They didn't give me any room to talk. Once their mind is made up, it's made up. That true whether they think you're innocent or guilty.

I don't think he's attention desperate.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Bert » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 pm

I agree with Sunny here.

He said his classmate did the right thing because they voiced their concern. In this case there wasn't anything to it. But as the article he linked says school shooters hint at their plan beforehand. In fact, disturbing poetry was mentioned specifically as one of the behaviors the Virginia Tech shooter displayed that resulted in reports to the authorities, who proceeded to do nothing.

Much like the authorities in the author's case. At the very least they should have sent him to the school psychologist. Even if he wasn't a risk to others and it was just "emo whining" he could have needed help for his own sake.

"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Bert wrote:I agree with Sunny here.

He said his classmate did the right thing because they voiced their concern. In this case there wasn't anything to it. But as the article he linked says school shooters hint at their plan beforehand. In fact, disturbing poetry was mentioned specifically as one of the behaviors the Virginia Tech shooter displayed that resulted in reports to the authorities, who proceeded to do nothing.

Much like the authorities in the author's case. At the very least they should have sent him to the school psychologist. Even if he wasn't a risk to others and it was just "emo whining" he could have needed help for his own sake.

Seung-Hui Cho's poetry was different. If I remember correctly he wrote sexual poetry about his classmates and also stalked them. There were a lot of reasons to be concerned about his behavior that go way beyond typical expressions of emotions other than happiness. Nothing Iannone said about him self sounds concerning at all.

So how did black clothing and shitty poetry end up freaking people out? For one, I read this dreck aloud at school instead of keeping it a secret between myself and the paper shredder. This dreck had titles like "American Nightmare" and lines like "We see society running scared / because we are our American nightmares" (I think the "nightmares" were people who spoke the truth or some other equally meaningless bullshit).

It looks like I merely imagined the part about blood. Maybe because he mentions "red" in the next paragraph but I'm not clear on if that's his poetry, or song lyrics, or what.

Oh, and I wrote this dreck in 1999, mere months after Columbine. That's the kind of pinpoint timing that triggers anonymous kids to call the cops on the dour kid in black bleating out "I look down and I see red / My life has flashed, I want it back."

In high school I was deliberately emotionally repressed because I was terrified of receiving "help." I think it would be better if people applied the same standards of caution to teenagers as they do to adults, instead of overreacting to every fucking thing they do. Fostering an environment of fear is detrimental to actually helping people who need it.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Having been one of those "scary" weirdos myself, I'm with Tess. I have wept many tears of grief and shame for what was done to the West Memphis Three. Anything that could cause such a sickening perversion of justice to happen again will get none of my support. When people give in to their bigotry and sic the police and FBI on everyone that gives them the creeps, it does more damage than just ruining an innocent person's life. If the authorities are busy hassling all the "obvious" targets, they're much less likely to catch any of the warning signs that are quietly radiating from one of the "normal" kids. I don't get the idea that Iannone is a bad person, but screw the notion that the cops did "nothing" and it wasn't enough. They talked to him and determined (correctly) that he wasn't a threat to society. Case closed.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:52 pm

#1 seems to me to pretty accurate. In that my first hunch that this guy/girl/mysoginist drumstick is simply upset that they got no attention and wishes they did when they were young. And here's a place where they can write an article that will get them attention! Of course, the cops rightly ignored this little waste of space (at least I think he is for saying that the cops should have spent resources stereotyping him).

I'd like to point out that when Columbine happened I wore a black trenchcoat (I was the first in my school to do so and refused to stop because of some shits who shot their school up.), had long hair, and wrote morose poetry. I liked listening to NIN, Marilyn Manson, and various heavy metal bands. I watched horror films and reveled in ones that were particularly violent. I was not, never have been, and never will be some mass murderer who shoots up a high school.

The guy is frankly a shit for even suggesting that a bunch of things he did, that many, many kids do, mean he's some killer in disguise. And frankly, the fact that he never killed anyone (otherwise I'm worried about Cracked's filters for hiring authors even on a per-basis basis) is proof that he's fucking full of it.

Hope I didn't insult anyone. If so...well...sorry?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 am

Actually, Nate, you sound quite like the sort of fella I liked to date when I was young. Even as a youngster, I intuited that those creepy guys who liked to play with weapons and didn't quite have the hang of eye contact were the ones to stay on the good side of. They were (for the most part) more fun to hang around and less likely to be shitty to me for my own idiosyncratic grab bag of crazy.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:09 am

I would like to add that being forced to see a therapist because you're a "threat to yourself or others" can end up on your permanent record, even if the therapist agrees it's all complete bullshit made up by some high school brat.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 am

Tesseracts wrote:I would like to add that being forced to see a therapist because you're a "threat to yourself or others" can end up on your permanent record, even if the therapist agrees it's all complete bullshit made up by some high school brat.

...and God help you if you happen to be assigned an incompetent jerk who makes up their mind based on prejudice and pop psychology bullshit. Many a teenager has actually died from being subjected to wildly expensive game of Pharmaceutical Roulette, thanks to some concern trolling and a mental health system that seemingly fucking hates teenagers.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 am

*decides he should look at his permanent record sometime*

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 am

Thanks to a bit of [insert objectionable behavior here] your permanent record now consists of a few dozen butt Xeroxes and a dick picture (not yours... I hope) with your name written on it. You're welcome!

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 am

Man, when I was in highschool, I used to write the most cheerful little poems about things like prostitution, redbull, and oh yeah, also specific people who were my friends dying.

...I was a weird kid. But they were utterly ridiculous and my friends enjoyed them. It's all about feeling the room I guess. And, Anna does rhyme with Savannah and so she'll probably get mauled by lions there, I'm just saying.

Regardless, I get that he's upset that they didn't take it more seriously, but I tend to agree with people who say that it's overkill to ask for more. If there were warning signs beyond wearing black and writing bad poetry, that would be something to maybe send him to the school psychologist about. I think he's underestimating the experience of both the police officers involved (who were probably assessing his behavior and reactions the entire ride to work without him realizing it) and his principal. They probably took it more seriously than he realized.

In the end, he was a weird kid who had no violent intentions, and the police and school correctly identified that he was a weird kid who had no violent intentions.

That being said, I think he's right that if you are genuinely concerned because another student is saying things that are violent or disturbing in other ways, even if it is as simple as them reading their crappy poetry out loud, you should maybe tell the school counselor. But only *because* the response to that should be a reasonable, objective assessment, like what happened in this article, as opposed to an interrogation or an immediate trip to mandatory therapy or expulsion or something (like the shit that sunglasses had to deal with? Not a reasonable or desirable response). If it turns into a witch hunt, we're doing it wrong.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Andropov4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:24 am

I got hit with mandatory therapy when I was younger. I made a joke that probably was in poor taste (about suicide), and compounded the problem by writing it on a Post-It note on my desk. I had a semester of twice-weekly two hour long sessions with a therapist after that, despite the therapist telling the school he didn't think anything was wrong with me after session number one. I played a lot of chess with that guy that semester.

So yes, schools and teachers and administrators will overreact to minor stuff, sometimes going directly against the advice of experts. And that's probably the biggest problem- seeing something like that will make kids way less likely to self-report or report their friends, since the school is just gonna be over the top and ridiculous about it regardless of whether or not anything is happening.

And of course, a couple years later, I probably really could've used that therapy. Bad timing, gents.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Cordslash » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:40 pm

Ah shitty teenage poetry, we meet again old friend. When I was 15 I accidentally left a little book of some poems I wrote behind in a class. It was duly handed in to a teacher by a "concerned classmate" and so of course I got called in to see the guidance counsellor, aka adult school bully. He immediately accused me of being a Satanist because of some inferences he made about this one poem (this was back in the early 90's when everything was quite possibly Satanic).
Despite my denials he was adamant that my poems reflected my Satanic cult secrets and that I was probably trying to recruit others into our devil coven. The school arranged for me to see a therapist who, like with Andro, said there was nothing wrong with me after just one session. The "guidance counsellor" really didn't like that though and kept hounding me for years. All this happened during my "black phase", where all clothing and everything in the bedroom etc. just had to be black. So yeah.

The worst thing about this for me today is that I used the word "azure" to describe the sky in the poem, and did so completely unironically. Yes, to my shame there was a poem out there with my name on it that contained the phrase "azure skies".

*cringes*

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Next