Thumbs

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Thumbs

Postby rowdyrodimus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:12 pm

I was just looking at some of my old comments on Cracked articles and noticed, no matter what I say or how many thumbs up I get, there are always at least one thumbs down. I just wish the system there was like the rec system here where you can see who gives you what. I mean, I'd love to know who my enemy is on Cracked. Plus if it just happens to be one person giving people down votes, you can just write them off as someone who wants to screw with people. However, if it's different people you can see what they might disagree with and learn why they feel differently. I don't know, just seems like it would make them more constructive than the present system.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Re: Thumbs

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:32 pm

If you could see who gave thumbs, you'd be able to see that I thumbed all my own posts! :shock: :? :oops:

But seriously, I know there's one person who accused me of being a sexist who sees women as "walking dick wetters" after I said something completely innocuous which had nothing whatsoever to do with sex. This was when Cracked had recently taken its turn for Great Social Justice, and until Tess pointed out--as a woman--that I'd said nothing remotely similar, my comment was in the red and her comment was in the green.

I held a grudge against her (the idiot asshole, not Tess) for that, and on the maybe half dozen occasions subsequently that I saw her posts, I made sure to thumb them down. Fortunately, they were usually stupid posts anyways, as you might expect from someone like that, just not usually the sort of stupid I'd waste a downvote on. So it's entirely possible that you pissed someone off somehow. Especially because you're a conservative, which on modern Cracked is doubleplusungood.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby rowdyrodimus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:04 pm

You can thumb your own posts? Why wasn't I told this before?

The Conservative part is kind of funny, though. When gay marriage was first being talked about before they made it legal nationwide, I was asked by a local news anchor while at the mall what my thoughts were on it (after they got political info such as if you are left or right leaning, etc.) and I answered by asking her, "Are you married?" She said yes, and I then said "So how would two men or two women that live down the street from you affect your marriage? It wouldn't, so if two people fall in love, no matter their gender and want to get married, then good on them for finding what many of us are looking for." That didn't run but they sure as hell ran Cowboy Billy Bob spouting off (incorrect) Bible passages on why it's wrong and how gay people are sick and twisted. I think that's the reason people have a bad view of Conservatives, they only get the opinions of the whacked out idiots and not the ones who are more rational in their views.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 pm

I get the sense that's why conservatives are so mad at liberals as well. Both sides are less likely to report being friends with someone of the opposing side than ever before, and have increasingly segregated themselves from each other geographically, which means they're more likely to be getting their views of what their political opponents are like from watching self-satisfied pundits and smarmy politicians in the media.

The central problem with this is that most pundits and politicians are awful to their political opponents regardless of their political affiliation, and the awful ones get the most attention by far, because ranting and mudslinging attracts more viewers than a serious debate. So people see popular media fixtures who support the other side, watch these people delight in insulting them and everyone who thinks like them, and strangely they walk away thinking people on the other side are a bunch of assholes. Without liberal and conservative friends in a person's life to provide concrete, undeniable evidence that the dickheads in the media don't represent everyone on the opposing side, that view is much more likely to stick.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:14 pm

cmsellers wrote:, I know there's one person who accused me of being a sexist who sees women as "walking dick wetters"

That's some bankable terminology there, sellers. I quite like "beardless midgets" but that one could become a new favourite.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:26 am

Anglerphobe wrote:That's some bankable terminology there, sellers. I quite like "beardless midgets" but that one could become a new favourite.

It is, and I'm sure that's why she initially got so many thumbs. I'm also sure she was eager to employ it from the moment she thought of it. But I'm still not clear what made her decide that I was the target she should employ it against.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:52 am

Hey. I'm a "walking bed wetter"!
Wait, did I just say that? Ignore it. I didn't say that I wet beds. I said I ... something something something.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 am

Anglerphobe wrote:
cmsellers wrote:, I know there's one person who accused me of being a sexist who sees women as "walking dick wetters"

That's some bankable terminology there, sellers. I quite like "beardless midgets" but that one could become a new favourite.

I've always been fond of "cum bucket" myself.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby rowdyrodimus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:38 am

DashaBlade wrote:
Anglerphobe wrote:

I've always been fond of "cum bucket" myself.

See, that's the kind of thing you only use during role playing sessions or your birthday or something like that. My personal favorite for that is
Spoiler: show
Cum guzzling gutter slut
. But like I said, those aren't normal things, just for those times you both just want to be dirty. I'm sure someone somewhere would be offended that I would call a female that even though we had both previously discussed things like that and agreed on what can and can't be said. What was weird was one girl I was with liked me using the part I have in spoilers, but not if the second and third word were left out for some reason.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:39 am

rowdyrodimus wrote:
Cum guzzling gutter slut.

I swear that's a song I've heard before...

Blackmarket Bodyparts - Cum Guzzling Gutter Slut (Song is NSFW, lotta graphic lines)

I didn't say it was a good song.

In other news, I just googled "black market body parts" and joined a new watchlist, as all the results were not about the band. I'm pretty sure my extreme music obsession has landed me on a myriad of watchlists.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby rowdyrodimus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:
rowdyrodimus wrote:
Cum guzzling gutter slut.

I swear that's a song I've heard before...

Blackmarket Bodyparts - Cum Guzzling Gutter Slut (Song is NSFW, lotta graphic lines)

I didn't say it was a good song.

In other news, I just googled "black market body parts" and joined a new watchlist, as all the results were not about the band. I'm pretty sure my extreme music obsession has landed me on a myriad of watchlists.

Yeah, it's a pretty common phrase but rolls off the tongue so well, plus "Bottom Feeding Trash Bag Ho" made me crack up because I thought about Chris Jericho saying it to Stephanie McMahon and it made me crack up, so I just went with the common phrase. But people should be proud of me for this, I used to "date" the daughter of our Football coach in High School, she wanted me to call her every name you can think of that is offensive to black people but I had to decline that stuff while I used her like a slave. Now, I know it was role play and maybe she just wanted to prove to me that she was so into me and cared so much she would demean herself for me, but it still was against my morals or whatever. She wasn't mad, in fact she thought it was super sweet of me. She then asked me if I had ever used the N word and I said yes and told her the person I called a stupid, worthless n word to and she said "Oh that doesn't count, blank IS a stupid worthless N word. Why do you think he's already serving 30 years in prison at age 18?" (He then got out early and killed his girlfriend's Mom, would've killed his girlfriend and baby but the cops got there in time. Now on death row.)

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:31 pm

What's wrong with calling people 'normals'?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:40 am

I think the thing with thumbs on Cracked is that the high ups have always stated that they're not in a position to implement any kind of technical changes to the comment section. Whether that's refusal or actually technical challenges I don't know, though I suspect the latter are rendered insurmountable by the former. Given how openly hostile most of the management are to comments, they're not going to do anything at all to improve the experience of commenting, because that might make more people want to do it.

...and because we're sharing songy songs... (pretty NSFW)

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:22 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:What's wrong with calling people 'normals'?

I don't know, but I read about a guy that went into Harlem saying the "N" word and left in a body bag, I guess they didn't like being called normal's. Maybe they preferred "Harlemites", you know how obsessed people in New York get about their areas.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:26 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote:I don't know, but I read about a guy that went into Harlem saying the "N" word and left in a body bag, I guess they didn't like being called normal's. Maybe they preferred "Harlemites", you know how obsessed people in New York get about their areas.

And here I thought that the "n-word" in NYC was "New Jerseyite."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Next