Google Trends for Cracked.com

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Google Trends for Cracked.com

Postby MrNumbers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:02 am

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0dln7mg

Apparently the site's Google interest has been going down at a 45 degree angle since February 2014. Right now it's back to the interest of where it was in 2007.

I think this is really interesting to look at.

MrNumbers
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: Google Trends for Cracked.com

Postby Windy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:49 am

It'll go back up as soon as Cracked releases the article "10 harsh realities of being a cuck".

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:09 am

Windy wrote:It'll go back up as soon as Cracked releases the article "10 harsh realities of being a cuck".

Goddamn it, Windy!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Bromo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Don't people normally type "cracked.com" into the address bar? Maybe it's trending so low because it's so renowned now.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby rowdyrodimus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:52 am

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that even if you just type the address in it gets counted on things like Google for numbers of visitors. But what have the Alexia (is that what it's called?) numbers been like? But that right there made me realize how, as much as they bitch about the people in the comments and want to get rid of them, they would lose a lot of views counted since every time someone refreshes the page to see new comments, it's looked at as another view.

Face it tiger, they can't make it with out the comments.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:18 am

I'm not sure about Google Trends or Alexa, but Cracked has mentioned a few times that it gets paid by it's advertisers based on unique page hits, so refreshing doesn't help there. I suspect that Google Trends and Alexa also go by unique page views.

As much as I loved the Cracked comments section circa 2011-2013, I highly doubt that the comments section plays a significant role in their unique page hits. There's probably a small handful of people they'd lose over nuking it, and have lost given the comment section's decline over there, but I'd be honestly shocked if it was a significant amount.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby blehblah » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:I'm not sure about Google Trends or Alexa, but Cracked has mentioned a few times that it gets paid by it's advertisers based on unique page hits, so refreshing doesn't help there. I suspect that Google Trends and Alexa also go by unique page views.

As much as I loved the Cracked comments section circa 2011-2013, I highly doubt that the comments section plays a significant role in their unique page hits. There's probably a small handful of people they'd lose over nuking it, and have lost given the comment section's decline over there, but I'd be honestly shocked if it was a significant amount.

The trend on Alexa reflects Google Trends: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cracked.com.

Yes, advertisers - or more importantly, the companies which place advertisements, which is Google - measure on unique views, click-throughs, and so-on. To learn more, run Ghostery and watch what comes-up (Cracked has 10, according to Ghostery). TCS has two.

Another popular site, The Chive, has 14 trackers, and ranks like so: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thechive.com

Note that Alexa is owned by Amazon (the logo is on the homepage, so they aren't being shy about it).

In any case, the most meaningful numbers which correspond to revenue for a site primarily earning from adds are between Google - who ain't saying shit - and the owners of the site. Site owners work with trackers because they need to know the content that 'hits' versus 'misses'. Maybe that's appealing to people who don't run AdBlock, maybe it's appealing to the masses, maybe it's something in between.

For example, I have noticed more sites detect and overlay/mask content if the browser is running and AdBlock-esque plug-in (Ghostery qualifies). Yet, that's an 'ask' of a relatively small percentage of viewers, and a small percentage who aren't likely to be moved - or move - revenue one way or the other.

If you want to have a laugh at the expense of , have a look at this:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/drudgereport.com

Or this: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/breitbart.com

Online media is a very fickle beast.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel