Hello Cracked People, a little help?

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Hello Cracked People, a little help?

Postby williamthallis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:50 pm

I'm over here at the comments section because it seems there's been a mix-up at Cracked and my account has been banned. :(

I'm trying to sort it out, so I'm hoping someone checking this can help me out. My last forum post was about a technical issue, and my last comments were about a burgeoning appreciation for ballet and the difference between Greek goddesses, so I'm guessing there was some sort of technical error, since this morning, 9/15, my account is banned and I can no longer PM, access the forums or post comments.

Seeing as how this is likely accidental, that poses a slight problem - I can't PM a person who can likely help sort this out, nor post in the forums to clear up the issue!

Ericthebearjew referred me here a while back, and has told me that some Cracked contributors do check in. I plan on contributing to Cracked at some point, which is kind of difficult to do with a banned account.

Is there a known technical issue with accounts being banned randomly? Does anyone have any info they'd be generous enough to help with?

Thanks!

“Ever since you’ve joined this PC thing, you just bully people, and wait for people to say anything improper so you can just jump down their throats for whatever words he or she used.”
“‘He or she’ is an agender phobic microagression, Sharon. You are a bigot.”
williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Divinitatis Doctor

Re: Hello Cracked People, a little help?

Postby sunglasses » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm sorry, but even though some of our members have contributed none of us are actual staff of Cracked. So we can't help you in that regard. But maybe one or two of us can look over on PWoT to see if anything is going on. I can try to look over there after I get off work, but that won't be for a few hours.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby williamthallis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Thank you very much, I'd appreciate that!

“Ever since you’ve joined this PC thing, you just bully people, and wait for people to say anything improper so you can just jump down their throats for whatever words he or she used.”
williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:08 pm

and by few hours, I mean probably closer to 5 or 6. But yeah, I'll get back to you then.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby williamthallis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Sure, no rush. It's not urgent, just bewildering. Thanks for your help.

williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Taluun » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:13 pm

It may help if we knew your cracked.com username. Is it the same as your tcs name?

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Fate has spoken. Your forthcoming articles are meant for TCS not Cracked.

I'm guessing you were banned for some trivial reason and that admins there are calling you names behind your back. I base that off absolutely nothing other than wild speculation that I made up.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby williamthallis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:32 pm

It's the same, WilliamThallis, as I used here.

I had completely forgotten that Bakudai, who handles the abusive comments section, had given me his email in PM. I emailed and got in touch with him, so he's looking into this and it may get sorted out.

It looks like I was banned on the 2nd for no reason with no notes along with some other people who were obvious trolls. Working on getting it sorted out.

Thanks for everyone's responses, though, I really appreciate it.

williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby williamthallis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Uh, Eric...

Would it offend you if I told you I'm just not much of a drinker?

I do look stunning in heels and an evening dress, however.

williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:35 pm

Su noij, su noij. SCT rof etirw. SCT rof etirw, sey.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:16 am

williamthallis wrote:It's the same, WilliamThallis, as I used here.

I had completely forgotten that Bakudai, who handles the abusive comments section, had given me his email in PM. I emailed and got in touch with him, so he's looking into this and it may get sorted out.

It looks like I was banned on the 2nd for no reason with no notes along with some other people who were obvious trolls. Working on getting it sorted out.

Thanks for everyone's responses, though, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad it was resolved.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby williamthallis » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:25 am

Tesseracts, it may get sorted out. I'd rather not get too much into detail, but there was a little hiccup a while back that ended up with a lot of people getting banned, some of them trolls. It seems I got swept up in that despite not being one. I haven't exactly endeared myself to some people higher up, so, despite it being a big misunderstanding, I'm not holding my breath for the outcome. The main issue is my ip being banned in the forums, which means I can't write for Cracked.

NathanLoiselle

?yap ti soed hcum woH

williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:28 am

williamthallis wrote:Tesseracts, it may get sorted out. I'd rather not get too much into detail, but there was a little hiccup a while back that ended up with a lot of people getting banned, some of them trolls. It seems I got swept up in that despite not being one. I haven't exactly endeared myself to some people higher up, so, despite it being a big misunderstanding, I'm not holding my breath for the outcome. The main issue is my ip being banned in the forums, which means I can't write for Cracked.

NathanLoiselle

?yap ti soed hcum woH

That... is indeed an issue.

It seems a lot of people haven't endeared themselves to the higher ups on that website, including a few people who I know are unconfrontational.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby williamthallis » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:20 am

Tesseracts,

I've noticed the same. Even the most passive people get treated like they are screaming, and the text based nature of it doesn't help since it lacks social cues. I can empathize to a certain degree, since even getting to be a higher up there means you have to put up with a lot of crap. I didn't even know what the word 'doxxing' was until I saw what happened with John Cheese. After his last column I wrote him a PM telling him how much I enjoy his writing and that I don't get the negativity he seems to attract, especially since he gets so personal with information, which I have a lot of respect for and would probably not be willing to do myself. With that kind of scrutiny, even mild criticism can come across like an insult.

The difference is I have experience playing live music, where you have to deal with hecklers. You play in a bar, you're playing in front of people who have been drinking. It comes with the territory, and you can't just kick them out if they shout something rude. One thing I've noticed that is very different between musicians and writers is that writers don't develop that thick skin because they don't have people staring back at them while they do their thing.

Bucholz wrote a column that brought it up best - even the idiots are right sometimes. I played a gig where the PA kept feeding back, and someone yelled about it and they were right. Not my group's fault, but it was annoying. Not the best way to voice your opinion, but it wasn't baseless. The difference was I couldn't just ban the guy by clicking a button, or delete his voice shouting at me so I engaged him and made the crowd laugh. He shut up, we kept playing.

I can imagine that each time you see criticism, and you have the ability to make it go away with a click of a button, it gets easier to do, since we're human after all. At some point, though, it goes too far and it becomes interpreting any criticism as an attack. It's understandable, but not excusable since other people pay the price. One of the best things I ever figured out for writing was to treat it like a performance - imagine myself reading everything I just wrote to someone while looking them in the eyes, and then seeing how bad I'd cringe, like playing music live when I played a solo too long and I got *that look* from someone. Urgh Icky. It's a good way to catch my own BS.

I forget sometimes writers are sheltered so on my part it's probably my directness that was part of why it did not go well. I prefer to think of it as a miscommunication among people with the right intentions from different backgrounds, that way I don't have enemies, just potential future friends. I always try and look at how I look from their perspective while I'm saying what I'm saying, so I can anticipate any potential unnecessary animosity. It works. Unless I get banned that is... Then I suppose it's time to move on.

williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Next