Hello Cracked People, a little help?

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: Hello Cracked People, a little help?

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:09 am

I plan to do the whole teaching abroad thing. I'm transferring to CSUS next semester.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:46 am

Revolving Royal wrote:The theme for all my English Classes were "people are terrible" I think the least painful thing to study was Dante's Inferno because it was pretty straightforward.

one word: Shakespeare

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby CultofZoidberg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:16 am

williamthallis wrote:It's the same, WilliamThallis, as I used here.

I had completely forgotten that Bakudai, who handles the abusive comments section, had given me his email in PM. I emailed and got in touch with him, so he's looking into this and it may get sorted out.

It looks like I was banned on the 2nd for no reason with no notes along with some other people who were obvious trolls. Working on getting it sorted out.

Thanks for everyone's responses, though, I really appreciate it.

Well we're pleased to have you here.

CultofZoidberg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Hand of the King

Postby williamthallis » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:21 am

Eric, France? France. Yes, France.

FieldMarshalFry... they made you wear tights? I'm wondering how your all boys boarding schools performed Antony and Cleopatra...
phpBB [video]

“Ever since you’ve joined this PC thing, you just bully people, and wait for people to say anything improper so you can just jump down their throats for whatever words he or she used.”
“‘He or she’ is an agender phobic microagression, Sharon. You are a bigot.”
williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Divinitatis Doctor

Postby AboveGL » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:45 am

WilliamThallis, I loved your comments. It's great to have you here.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Delta Jim » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:14 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:We would talk about literary devices, but for the most part we focused on symbolism and metaphors. And even then, the literary devices taught were rarely anything new. This is foreshadowing. This is an unreliable narrator.

I mean, I didn't know what bathos was until I stumbled upon Narm in TVTropes.

I didn't know what bathos was until I stumbled upon the Bathos page on TVTropes. I mean, I knew what it was, just not what it was called.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Revolving Royal » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:25 am

williamthallis wrote:
Revolving Royal, isn't that the most annoying thing? Part of teaching at a university means you have all these other obligations, so you end up relying on a student to provide information in class. If you haven't read the entire Divine Comedy yet, I'd highly recommend it. My two favorite translations are John Ciardi's and Mark Musa's. The former tries to keep it more poetic, and although terza rima doesn't work in English, he at least tries the outer of the 3 lines, but Musa is a little more free with it so it's on the literal side a bit. Both good, and Penguin has an edition of Dante's full comedy with La Vita Nuova, but it leaves out much of the supplementary material (maps, illustrations) in order to fit it into one volume, so it's probably better to get the individual books.

The sad thing was that this teacher was my 10th grade English teacher. The copy I was reading was part of a set, I'm not sure who translated it, but it was very poetic with black and white illustrations.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby williamthallis » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:44 pm

AboveGL, thank you. I'm glad to be here.

RevolvingRoyal

Ouch. Just ouch. I read the Inferno for the first time during my 10th grade English class too (back in the stone ages). It was part of the curriculum of Ancient Literature. We started with Homer, then traced the Greco-Roman lineage to Dante, so when reading Dante we had just read the Aeneid shortly before, so the allusions and references stuck out. It was a far harder course than any college class I've ever taken by a long shot.

“Ever since you’ve joined this PC thing, you just bully people, and wait for people to say anything improper so you can just jump down their throats for whatever words he or she used.”
“‘He or she’ is an agender phobic microagression, Sharon. You are a bigot.”
williamthallis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Divinitatis Doctor

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Sorry to bring an old topic up again but something William said about walking out of school and learning more by playing with older/more experienced musicians makes me think of my experience like it. Even with my writing style in forums, believe it or not, I am a very good writer (based on grades/professor's comments). However, I learned more about creative writing, finances, and all the other stuff colleges are supposed to teach you from riding in cars with people who are not generally looked at as being very intelligent- Professional Wrestlers.

I was never a "name" or star, I just did local independent shows in the South and Southwest US. Really, I was part of the last generation who did it the "Old School" way. Going from show to show from town to town and state to state, two or three guys with our gear stuffed in my 1982 Mercury Capri or another guy's Ford Taurus. During those few short years, I drove tens of thousands of miles, usually with one or two former 70's and 80's stars of WWF, NWA/WCW, AWA and other organizations. One of the reasons William's comment hit so close to home with me is one of the true HUGE names I drove with and picked his brain was Nick Bockwinkle, who sadly passed away earlier this week.

The education I got from those legends (legends to wrestling fans, sadly unknown to most non fans) is something you can't buy. Each person had a different way to do things but each separate method could be fused with another method, taking a bit here and a bit there, they were teachers on those car rides. With Mr. Bockwinkle I learned the more you rant, rave and scream at the top of your lungs, the more the people expect the next time. If you start out just explaining your points, talking in a natural speaking voice, you can then build up the passion and hatred/ranting as the story progresses to hook the audience. (Of which you, as in your character, have to believe "yourself" or the fans can see through it. Even as a heel, you have to believe that by cheating, your actions are justified in the bigger picture.) The same thing in writing. You don't want to start off with the most exciting part of the story and then write the rest of the story with the protagonist doing nothing but filing reports on the incident. It sounds simple but so many teachers in every level of education are guilty of not explaining that to their students.

I learned more about budgeting and finances in general from 300 lb. guys covered in scars explaining how they made a $25 payout last a week by sharing a room with five other guys and buying a 5 lb. bologna and two loaves of bread. I know it sounds stupid, but before that, I and the other guys I normally rode with thought we needed to always get take out and stay MAYBE two to a room (or stay the night with a rat but that was just a bonus lol). We actually started to make some money instead of feeling like we were literally paying our dues by spending more for our road trips than we made doing the shows. Sure I had learned about budgets but I had never been taught how to "budget my budget" (For the life of me I can't remember who it was that used that phrase but I have always remembered it because while it sounds stupid, it makes a lot of sense in the context it was used.) so I actually had money left at the end of the trip.

What it comes down to is these are some of the reasons I hate when people just spout off what they have learned in high school or college. Sure, you need to learn things in school but you REALLY need to learn to apply them in the real world. That is one thing that is sadly missing from all of our systems of education, which also goes back to another comment on either this or another thread I read about needing experience to get a job but only being able to get experience by having said job. It seems our entire educational system is built to form a giant Catch-22 where we are burdened with huge college loans that we can't pay for because we can't get a job because they want real world experience and not just college textbook experience. (sorry, I've been up with my back killing me, keeping me from sleeping, for almost 2 days straight and have spent the last 7 or 8 hours checking out threads here so they are running together lol)

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Previous