State of Cracked

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: State of Cracked

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Australia wrote:
OrangeEyebrows wrote:Well the least she could do is bring me out some cookies once in a while.

No-one knows what it's like...
To be the bad gal...
To be the sad gal...
Behind Orange Eyebrows...

Fuck you, buy a butter dish

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:12 am

Changing gears to another topic: Cracked's extreme hatred towards certain movies (Pacific Rim, The Dark Knight Rises, and Godzilla 2014 come to minds) is pissing me off, and with their bandwagon of hating the MCU, I think Avengers: Age of Ultron will be joining that list. It already has a Rotten Tomatoes score in the 70% range (currently it is 78%), like the other afformentioned movies, and judging from reviews it is GOOD, but a bit repetitive of the first film (kind of hard to top the original, though). I'm expecting it to join the heap of films Cracked hates. And I want to get out of the way that I love EVERY film in the MCU (even Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and 3, plus The Incredible Hulk). They have flaws, yes, but so do other movies, and they have enough positives to not only outweigh the negatives, but to make them consistently entertaining. But again, Cracked acts like a whiny little bitch when the MCU gets brought up, and they will no doubt use this film to bash it more.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:20 am

There are also films that Cracked lurves (Luuuuurves...casts wistful glances at them and pulls their pigtails and stands outside their window with a boombox). So it could go either way.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:30 am

Nah. It's MCU, they'll hate it.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Jeckel » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:45 am

I don't get why it is always such a big deal cracked dislikes certain movies. People can go to a million different places on the internet to echo praise to each other over how great Nolan and the MCU are, so what is so wrong with Cracked not joining that hype train?

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:09 am

It would honestly be bad marketing if they didn't have movies Cracked as an entity "likes" and "dislikes" as part of a consistent editorial voice. It's part of building a brand.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Jeckel wrote:I don't get why it is always such a big deal cracked dislikes certain movies. People can go to a million different places on the internet to echo praise to each other over how great Nolan and the MCU are, so what is so wrong with Cracked not joining that hype train?

Because they bitch about it even when it isn't relevant to the article's topic (one article, out of the blue, said The Dark Knight Rises was so bad it made The Dark Knight retroactively shittier).They also are going out of there way to publish several articles detailing why the MCU sucks, most of them written by David Christopher Bell, who is a very stuck up person judging by his comments defending his writing. One of those MCU hate articles even said that Odin turns evil in Thor: The Dark World (Loki disguised himself in reality), which shows that they aren't even bothering to pay attention.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:53 pm

That's more a running gag than anything, in my opinion.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Fair point, but the MCU hate is frustrating. And like I said, they act like they haven't even seen the movies.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 pm

It's just hipster bait, probably. What better way to attract the 6140 independent film crowd than to endlessly complain about adaptations sequels and remakes, despite that being the case throughout the entire history of film? Discouraging the MCU in favor of movies that you'd expect to be reviewed by OanCitizen is a great way to bait the Tumblr crowd.

The problem with this is that people like adaptations. People want to see their favorite novel or comic series on the big or small screen. Cracked seems to demand 100% originality, which, while not a bad thing, is technically impossible.

One thing I've noticed about Cracked recently is that they seem to encourage cultural progress and innovation, yet seem to discourage technological innovation.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:06 pm

They must have forgotten how Oancitizen liked Tromeo and Juliet.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:39 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:
Australia wrote:
OrangeEyebrows wrote:Well the least she could do is bring me out some cookies once in a while.

No-one knows what it's like...
To be the bad gal...
To be the sad gal...
Behind Orange Eyebrows...

Fuck you, buy a butter dish

I can take a hint. You want the whole song, don't you? Well, I'm not one to disappoint. Shut up.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby sunglasses » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm waving a lighter back and forth while listening to Aussie.

Fuck, I set off the sprinkler system.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Australia » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Just goes to show. I'm always finding new ways of getting women wet.

...Not exactly the James Bond of charmers, am I?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Jeckel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:48 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:
Jeckel wrote:I don't get why it is always such a big deal cracked dislikes certain movies. People can go to a million different places on the internet to echo praise to each other over how great Nolan and the MCU are, so what is so wrong with Cracked not joining that hype train?

Because they bitch about it even when it isn't relevant to the article's topic (one article, out of the blue, said The Dark Knight Rises was so bad it made The Dark Knight retroactively shittier).They also are going out of there way to publish several articles detailing why the MCU sucks, most of them written by David Christopher Bell, who is a very stuck up person judging by his comments defending his writing. One of those MCU hate articles even said that Odin turns evil in Thor: The Dark World (Loki disguised himself in reality), which shows that they aren't even bothering to pay attention.

I'm all for pointing out errors, such as the Loki disguised as Odin issue, but I'm not sure how "going out of there way to publish several articles detailing why the MCU sucks" pertains. DCB doesn't like the MCU and as a result that is what he writes his articles about, there is no going out of the way about it. Are DCB, or other writers, not allowed to write articles about the MCU unless they are praising it? I'm sure some of the articles were just normal cracked clickbaiting and other instances are just lame running jokes, both of which are open to criticism, but it mostly sounds like you, and others in the comment sections, are simply mad that they are writing articles that are negative against a franchise you happen to like. Personally, I'm looking forward to a DCB article on why Age of Ultron wasn't so great, though to be fair I'm always looking forward to any article written by Mr. Bell.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext