State of Cracked

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: State of Cracked

Postby TwoSheds » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:43 pm

I think what gorillathehun said is a big part of it. I'm sure at least some of you guys (gentlefolk? forumaniacs? I'm new to forums) are familiar with the YouTube channel WatchMojo. For the uninitiated, their thing is Top 10 lists of pretty much anything you can imagine. For a while, these lists were pretty typical: top 10 video games, top 10 horror films, top 10 rappers, etc. Lately, they've had to come up with some rather esoteric lists to avoid repeating themselves, which of course has a lot of people complaining.

I think Cracked is having the same problem. They've just been in the game so long, they're finding it hard to stay fresh. This happens everywhere, be it in companies, community groups or continent-spanning empires. They found a comfortable niche, occupied it and are now facing the difficult problem of having to find ways of branching out to reach people outside their demographic without (hopefully) alienating those that are already reading. When your readership is in the hundreds of thousands or millions, every change is going to make somebody angry, and every large move - focusing on social issues, for instance - is going to make a lot of somebodies angry.

I'm admittedly not too happy with Cracked these days, but I do understand it must be a bit of a precarious situation to be in, which may also explain some of the perceived hostility coming from Wong and the Gang.

Fire up the tulley toggle.
TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Maestro

Postby skooma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:27 am

One answer that defies such limitations would be going back to being funny though; Brockway, Bucholz, and Felix are still there, they could focus on comedy. Godsdamn why don't they do comedy?

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:30 am

The life advice articles did super well for them, they tend to get millions of views. The clickbait articles tend to get a lot of views. The comedy articles tend to not do as well actually. Pick any Bulcholz article, then look at the views. You'll notice that it won't have very many. It's a goddamn shame, but those articles just don't do as well.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby ShuaiGuy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:00 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:10 pm

ShuaiGuy wrote:I take offense to all this mud-slinging at current commenters! Fry is wrong about a lot of things (like that hat), but you TRAITORS!

I've been reading Cracked for probably 4-5 years and I think the comments are the same quality now they were then. It's just new commenters, new personas, new jokes that might not ring correctly for you. Groups change and adapt, and if you're not there for them, it might seem like a totally new (and inferior) thing.

Frankly, the only commenter I know I miss is the guy who was there for like a week or two and had a great set of emoticons to go along with every comment he made.

I know a lot of people miss Big Larry and spaz out whenever he shows up, but his humor honestly isn't my style. Same for Scary Mi

....Just kidding. I mean there are things the comments do that I hate, like when those freaking Chuck Norris jokes were big, and then with the Skyrim jokes, and now with the awful butterdish jokes. The memes don't fit the comment section well, but that's been true for years.

Little known factoid, if you go back to really really old articles (Swaim's first ones) there was apparently a sketchy commenter that would write on every article he wrote, and you can see the progression of Wong getting madder at him until he was permabanned. I don't think it's a very long progression, but it's kind of entertaining.

Fuck you, buy a butter dish.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:17 pm

skooma wrote:One answer that defies such limitations would be going back to being funny though; Brockway, Bucholz, and Felix are still there, they could focus on comedy. Godsdamn why don't they do comedy?

Felix Clay has lost some of his touch, in my opinion. Remember the video he wrote about how Macklemore was a homophobe for being straight and supporting gay rights (which is super hypocritical)? And he DEFENDED it in the comments! Hell, one of Swaim's DED Talks videos making fun of Walt Disney was just fucking insulting to the man! And Stoll and Johnston have already pissed a few people off by joining the Marvel hate bandwagon. At least Bowie had a valid reason for quiting Doctor Who (the retcons ARE frustrating, to say the least).

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby archaeologydalek » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:04 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:38 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:I think Cracked is pretty neat.

And now I'm in the process of commenting on all of your articles a couple of your articles with that very quote. Well, not quite. I've added to it a wee bit but I think you'll be amused. Enjoy.

Also, sorry, but I need something to distract me from this work rage I'm having right now.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby archaeologydalek » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:14 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:52 am

Damn it, now I wanna write for Cracked so I can get stalked.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:09 am

I've been lurking in the bushes outside your house for MONTHS. Why don't you notice meeeeee?

*sobs*

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:11 am

Because that isn't my house...that's my Grandmother's

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:17 am

Well the least she could do is bring me out some cookies once in a while.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:17 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I've been lurking in the bushes outside your house for MONTHS. Why don't you notice meeeeee?

I could imagine that.

11_(1)_FULL.jpg
11_(1)_FULL.jpg (971.95 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
Because sometimes bushes can be boring.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Australia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:44 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:Well the least she could do is bring me out some cookies once in a while.

No-one knows what it's like...
To be the bad gal...
To be the sad gal...
Behind Orange Eyebrows...

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

PreviousNext