State of Cracked

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: State of Cracked

Postby thatindianguy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:19 am

Ouch dude.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Matt the Czar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:19 am

Jeckel wrote:Great, there goes another comment section to the abyss of people that can't simply ignore article titles. It was an interesting article, but the discussion isn't going to go anywhere because everyone has to make their own "witty" comment about the title guy, as if any point they are going to make hasn't been made a million times in a hundred different articles.

And that is my main problem with Cracked comment sections: they have become so repetitive because people don't bother to read others' comments, but still think that whatever they have to say is so important that it has to be posted so others will read it. I will never understand the narcissism it takes to post comments on the internet without reading the comments of others, if only to avoid looking like an idiot for reposing something that has already been said more times than can possibly be necessary.

This has been going on since the regulars jumped ship and they were replaced by the influx of youtube and facebook people that wouldn't know a decent conversation if it sat on their face. If anything will finally push me completely away from cracked, it will be these people with nothing to say filling the comments with crap everyday.

:(

I... abandoned Cracked too. My enthusiasm for checking at 0730 each day has dissapeared, and my visits to TCS are in full confidence. Am I... part of the problem. Should we have soldiered on, instead of jumping ship?

May- ya know what? Fuck no.

We have a pretty good thing going on Tess' domain, and we took all that we loved; all our injokes, names, personas, and preferences, and let them flourish here. And it has furfilled the site's mission pretty well. If we are to continue the Cracked spirit, we shouldn't keep sadly gazing on its skeletal, floudering remains. We are The Comments Section. And we ROCK!

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Jeckel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:29 am

Just to be completely clear, at no point was it my intention to put any shade on those that have left Cracked. I totally understand the various reasons everyone has fled and I consider it a bit of masochism on my part that I still am a relative regular to that site.

Consider it a rant against the new elements that are now calling the comment sections home and not the old souls that have understandably taken up home here. :)

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:54 am

@Matt the Czar: I don't think anyone should feel bad for jumping ship from Cracked. It makes me sad to not read Cracked anymore, and that's because of how much I loved the site when I did read it. I wish it would go back to that, though I doubt it will. There's really no reason anyone should keep reading Cracked, save for that they enjoy it. And if you do enjoy it, then more power to ya, keep reading it.

@Jeckel: I didn't take you as to be harping on anyone for leaving Cracked. I have similar feelings about the Cracked comments section, in that shortly after TCS launched, a lot of my favourite commentors jumped ship for here. And it had a very notable negative impact on the Cracked comments section, and I don't think it's been worth reading the comments over there for a long time. I skim the comments (sorting by top rated) on the occasional article I read, and they're just not the same either. My favourite commentors aren't there. The comments aren't as smart, or funny, and I usually get bored and move on pretty quickly. I have only so much time to waste, I intend to waste it on things I enjoy. On the bright side, since most of my favourite commentors are now here on TCS, I get to talk to them here (along with a lot of other cool people I didn't recognize from Cracked), which is something I never did on Cracked since I didn't make an account there (didn't care for their TOS). So there's positives at least. I mean, TCS is a pretty big positive for me.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby AboveGL » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:20 am

Jeckel, I understand where you're coming from and I agree wholeheartedly.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Nullbert » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:01 am

I still check Cracked on a semi-regular basis, but mostly for those "5 Things I Learnt Working As (Insert Strange/Dubious Profession)" interview articles, and the comments can still be quite witty. I definitely think the articles have gotten a lot more serious over the past few months or so, but maybe that's just because I prefer the serious articles now anyway. Eh, I'm rambling. I miss Agents of Cracked.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby gorillathehun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:
I also find it interesting, how two years after I (and many of the old-timers on this site) had this experience with Cracked, many of the newcomers have much the same, even those who started reading Cracked after I/many of us stopped. It gives me a strange feeling of deja vu. I don't have any actual point there, it's just something mildly intriguing that I noticed.

I think that's because Cracked's niche is "infotainment novelty generator" where their standard format of "X things you didn't know about blank" is bound to lose its punch over time. Suppose they ran an article tomorrow "6 Real Archeologists Who Were Way More Badass Than Indiana Jones." It may be a perfectly fine article but it's bound to remind you of an article you loved 5 years ago whereas new readers get to experience the novelty.

Add to that how incredibly rigid their format is for feature articles (vaguely interesting factoids dressed up in hyperbolic split infinitives) and it becomes very meh fairly quickly.

One thing that could always be counted on though was the commenters. For at least the last couple of years I've found the comments more informative and funnier than the articles and that was the main reason I kept going back as long as I did.

Edit: I meant for the last couple of years that I was a daily reader which I think ended sometime last spring or early summer, the comment section seems to have gone to shit in the last 6 months or so.

Last edited by gorillathehun on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle." - Corbin Dallas
gorillathehun
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:47 am

Jeckel wrote:And that is my main problem with Cracked comment sections: they have become so repetitive because people don't bother to read others' comments, but still think that whatever they have to say is so important that it has to be posted so others will read it. I will never understand the narcissism it takes to post comments on the internet without reading the comments of others, if only to avoid looking like an idiot for reposing something that has already been said more times than can possibly be necessary.

You know, that actually happens a fair amount on the forum too. Don't everybody pitchfork me all at once... I'm just saying, I've noticed more than once that somebody a couple posts down from me will say almost exactly what I JUST said, and it will somehow be worth more thumbs. That's the only time I ever care about reputation points; was what I said so easy to skip over, or am I so poorly regarded that people just don't even notice what I have to say anymore? It doesn't happen OFTEN, but a fair amount.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby gorillathehun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 am

Jeckel wrote:
And that is my main problem with Cracked comment sections: they have become so repetitive because people don't bother to read others' comments, but still think that whatever they have to say is so important that it has to be posted so others will read it. I will never understand the narcissism it takes to post comments on the internet without reading the comments of others, if only to avoid looking like an idiot for reposing something that has already been said more times than can possibly be necessary.

You know, I hate to say it but I've noticed the same thing here. And what really gets me is when the second commenter gets more reputation poi...

Sorry Notch, I'm lazy and low-hanging fruit is delicious.

gorillathehun
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:58 am

You know what Gorilla, if you get more thumbs than me I'll be happy. That's a quality effing post, right there. :)

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:17 pm

I still go to Cracked every day.... BLOODY TRAITORS!

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby gorillathehun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Oh come now Mr. Fry. Traitor is such an ugly word. I prefer the term absconder.

gorillathehun
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:20 pm

I still go on Cracked. Zac Frey and Daniel Dockery are now my favorite writers, and hell, I'm starting to love ATB now that he isn't trolling us anymore. But it isn't as great as it once was...

Also, I'm with Fry on this one: TRAITORS!

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Marcuse » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:25 pm

You can't betray something that betrayed you first.

Wow that sounds really serious and stuff. I just don't care for the content any more...

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Jeckel wrote:Consider it a rant against the new elements that are now calling the comment sections home and not the old souls that have understandably taken up home here. :)

So, what you're saying is you want those damn kids to get off your lawn.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

PreviousNext