The Downvotes....

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: The Downvotes....

Postby ShuaiGuy » Thu May 28, 2015 3:03 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Australia » Thu May 28, 2015 4:12 pm

I remember years ago, a commenter replying to one of my posts saying "This was funny but I downvoted because [insert user's name] deserves top comment." There is a third option, you know. Or does clicking neither thumb make you a comm-unist?

No wonder I keep getting poisoned. Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu May 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Is that why I used to get downvoted all the time? Because not voting at all makes you a communist?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby axiomaticwind » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Long time Cracked.com user / contributer, first time poster here:

I'm posting because I noticed the issue you were talking about.

If you sign on during a certain time of day, a certain user will issue each top-voted comment about two or three downvotes. Said commenter will issue themselves a similar number of upvotes. This is achieved with multiple accounts.

I know who it is, but I'd rather not get into the politicking of it all. Guy's otherwise a cool dude. I went to bat for him (and a few others) in a correspondence with Wong once, weirdly enough.

It's weird behavior, but I've always expected that it doesn't amount to much in the long run. And frankly the person is funny enough to get top spot without multiaccounting votes on all his comments and nuking everyone else's.

axiomaticwind
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:15 pm

axiomaticwind wrote:Long time Cracked.com user / contributer, first time poster here:

If you sign on during a certain time of day, a certain user will issue each top-voted comment about two or three downvotes. Said commenter will issue themselves a similar number of upvotes. This is achieved with multiple accounts.

I know who it is, but I'd rather not get into the politicking of it all. Guy's otherwise a cool dude. I went to bat for him (and a few others) in a correspondence with Wong once, weirdly enough.

It's weird behavior, but I've always expected that it doesn't amount to much in the long run. And frankly the person is funny enough to get top spot without multiaccounting votes on all his comments and nuking everyone else's.

I don't know who specifically this is, but I've long suspected there are people who do this.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby axiomaticwind » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:04 pm

I don't wanna tip my hand, but Cracked played around with the idea of using chat moderators once. So...

A perspicacious but misguided few, who are on at the same time, are downvoting this guy (these guys?) right back. It's not really a substitute for just asking him to stop, but it's also the more political (read: passive-aggressive) solution. The whole situation would be pipe-smokingly conspiratorial, if it weren't happening in a section for goddamn comments on a comedy website, and if it didn't already happen at least two or three times a year. Hopefully my anonymous arrival lends an even more sinister air to all this, because otherwise it's pretty boring.

The website goes through phases like this one. They shy new people away from the comments section, but maybe that's not an entirely bad thing? I've mentioned some pretty simple tech solutions to Wong; he's still convinced that the comments section is but the "scrawling of teenagers on a bathroom stall".

Just know that someone actually does care about the comments section, as remiss as Wong remains.

axiomaticwind
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:09 pm

I remember at one point that any comment which approached ScaryMike's in the top comments would suddenly get several downvotes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't ScaryMike himself doing it, since it later stopped, but ScaryMike kept commenting. My conclusion is that it was the one guy ScaryMike let live after seeing his face. Little did the poor sucker know that he was merely being toyed with.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:11 am

axiomaticwind wrote:Long time Cracked.com user / contributer, first time poster here:

Who?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby rowdyrodimus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:10 pm

I got downvotes today on the article "6 Shockingly Dumb Reasons People Invented Famous Characters" when I posted this:
"Started reading later than usual, so how many comments have been made about the stupid mistake in the Snake Eyes entry saying the comic came first and then the figures? The comics did inspire the animated series due to the commercials for them but the figures came before all of that. I guess you could stretch it and say that the characterizations were based on Larry Hama's idea for "Fury Force" which was basically GI Joe being led by Nick Fury's son (decades before they introduced Nick Fury's son in the 616) before the GI Joe comic came out. He did change a few things to make it fit Hasbro's designs for GI Joe and COBRA but that's as close as the GI Joe comic coming out before the figures."

I posted that due to this in the article: "G.I. Joe started as a comic, but it wasn't long before toy company Hasbro's profit senses started tingling, and they began to belch out action figures in a stream of screaming plastic vomit."

So apparently, fixing mistakes in articles will get you downvotes due to either A:The author being too thin skinned, B: The audience no wanting anyone to say anything contrary to what appears in the articles or C: Just for the hell of it.

Oh well, it's not like they mean anything. It's just funny how if you make a spelling error in a comment someone will bitch about it but if a writer gets facts completely wrong it's ok.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Um, since that author is a personal friend and member here, I want to express my irritation at 'A.'

Also, you have no idea the stuff that gets changed about during editting.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby rowdyrodimus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Wasn't saying this about Mr. or Ms. Doran in particular, just saying that if an author is thin skinned (WONGly or rightly) that they have used downvotes on comments before. I guess I should have stated it less as "this author" and more of "if a writer" to make it more general. I in particular favor option B. It seems a lot of people in the comments seem to accept anything written in an article as gospel no matter evidence to the contrary.

Also, shouldn't stuff that is edited be factually correct? Or do the editors of Cracked feel that facts are what they can get the majority to believe (AKA, the New American Public School Guide to Historical Facts lol)

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:57 pm

Seeing as how many authors don't actually read the comments, yeah no. I'm not an editor so I'm not going to talk about what their editorial process is or isn't. I think they have the process outlined somewhere on PWOT. They do strive for things to be correct. The reason people downvote "but really this is incorrect" comments before even reading is because it's probably already been said 200 times in said comments or it's what you think is correct et al.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby rowdyrodimus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:08 pm

I understand that and that's why I try not to just mimic everyone else and only post a correction or something if I can add something to it. In this case I tried to make a connection to where what was said in the article could be correct with the right wording (in this case the mention of the unused "Fury Force" idea that the GI Joe writer came up with that he based GI Joe on). I know, I'm spending a lot of time on something that is really insignificant, but I think if a comment adds to the discussion it helps out, but a comment that just says something like "Number Six. Ummm, no." adds nothing to the discussion. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:11 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote:I posted that due to this in the article: "G.I. Joe started as a comic, but it wasn't long before toy company Hasbro's profit senses started tingling, and they began to belch out action figures in a stream of screaming plastic vomit."

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, this is about me, I wrote this :) People are discussing me! NOW WHO'SE NOT IMPORTANT MOM? Aaaaanyway, as to Rowdy's post, G.I. Joe was created for a comic by Dave Breger in 1942. Basically he was a soldier who was good at art and the army noticed him doodling one day and decided to make use of his talents and have him do a comic strip about the army- hence G.I. Joe.

Eventually this led to Hasbro's toy line, with the first toy coming out in 1964. To be be fair, there were many incarnations of the Joes, and their ownership changed hands over the years, but at the end of the day, the first comic came out before, Way Before the first toy.

Now to be fair, I did notice people in the comment section saying this, that the toy supposedly came out before the comic and I could have said something, but I gotta be honest, the way I see it, the information is there, linked to in the article, why would I correct? KNOWLEDGE IS POWER PEOPLE! The more people that have it, the less valuable it becomes! If I had my way I'd be the only person who ever knew anything, and quite frankly I already have a few plans in motion .....

Oh and no, I didn't downvote you Rowd-ster, nor would I. You and me bro, together through thick and thin, brothers in arms, boys in the hood, from here to eternity! And so forth.

*This was awesome. I used to have discussions about the authors with other commenters back when I first started reading Cracked, and now I am one of them! Sun rise, sunset*

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby DashaBlade » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:02 am

D-LOGAN wrote: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER PEOPLE!

half.jpg
half.jpg (18.11 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

PreviousNext