Favorite Comments

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: Favorite Comments

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:49 pm

I'm reading those comments and the same article has the following comment:

Niente wrote:I'm very found of Three Ways to be a samurai on wikihow. Tips include: paper mache mask making, joining the National guard to learn how to use guns, and staying away from frat parties with racist costume themes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Qinglong » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:42 pm

In 14 Ways The Future Will Look Down Upon Today's Society, this mighty exchange took place:

Thunderous wrote:#9 (Reality TV) Please, I doubt that Donald's hair will wind up in a museum; it's too crafty by half, it'll be halfway down the sewers before people even know it's finally finished consuming his life force.
Kalashnicough wrote:And then there will be... Hell toupee!

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby Knicholas » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Wandered around Cracked reading some of Seanbaby's old articles. The top-rated comments for 6 Things No One Tells You About Living on a Farm were excellent.

A long string of personal experience from other farm kids.

Last edited by JamishT on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed url tag
Knicholas
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:51 am

"Living on a farm completely changes the way you look at the food you eat. I think every vegetarian should visit a farm so they can understand why animals deserve to be killed and be eaten." - ScaryMike

Actual LOL. Must have woken a few people up.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:58 am

Found this on a video about "How to Pick a Lock With Hairpins".

XavierQc wrote:Instructions not clear, got penis stuck in blender.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri May 13, 2016 1:54 am

I think the thing is, I don't know if I have a favorite comment of all time, because I tend to view the comments as, like... comments? I don't know, they don't count somehow. They're better for meeting people and having interesting discussions than for garnering fame and renown, in my opinion. You want renown, maybe just write an article yourself, no?* But anyway, looking through some older articles, here's a comment that I wrote that no one is ever going to see again, because it's a reply to a comment that is in downvote hell.

But who's the burning hairball that downvoted that.png
But who's the burning hairball that downvoted that.png (39.46 KiB) Viewed 10700 times

*EDIT: Had a good conversation off the record about this post. I want to "quickly" clarify something... apologies to anyone who already thumbed.

Spoiled for quickness
"Maybe just write an article yourself" is lifted almost verbatim from a rant DOB had spun against the comment section when this forum was first starting. It was literally in response to me, since he also mentioned my music specifically in the rant (which was sort of awesome). I don't want anyone to think I meant that seriously. I love the comments, heck I still do even if they're not the same as when I was in them a lot more. Whenever I actually stop and read Cracked in spite of myself (and honestly, there's been a string of good articles the last few days! It's been pretty great) I stop and read the comments out loud to my wife. They are still a great piece of the puzzle.

The thing that I object to sincerely is commenter celebrity culture. Like, take Butts for instance. When we were in the comments section together, I considered him a fellow, another dude like me, who was trying to be funny (he succeeded far more than I did) and had ehhhhhhh maybe a little too much time on his hands XD but I didn't consider him a "legend" or anything. I didn't make comments talking about Butts like everyone should know him, unless it was in response to a comment he'd made himself. Because yeah, we're just commenters.

I have to go a little further and show my age here, but I remember a certain commenter who was popular with a lot of the others in that day, and there would sometimes be whole threads where they all had conversations and said good night to each other and everything, right there in the comments underneath an article. That's the same guy who went doofy and unhinged when Cheese ran that one article, and started a Cracked parody website and, more or less, demonstrated that he DEFINITELY had a little too much time on his hands. In my opinion, that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been made a psuedo-celebrity by other commenters at the time.

It definitely concerned me when the comments were threatened with annihilation, or else I wouldn't have risked karma and banning on PWoT fighting for their survival. But it concerned me because it was my house, not because my burgeoning public was going to miss me. I never thought of myself as "comment section royalty" because that didn't exist. There were definitely guys like JamesT and Mick and Butts and Scary-Mike and my dear dear Carp who I admired because God Lord they were funny. There's just a difference.

I guess what I mean is, if somebody did his or her due diligence and wrote an article and got it edited and had to rewrite it seven times and then was subjected to people being anything from mean to indifferent to propping their own celebrity on the writer's coattails, I could understand that somebody being irritated. So I did my best not to do that, and I don't think most of the people I admired during that time did either. Sure, we went for top comment sometimes, but that's different than, I don't know, your whole life and sense of worth being tied into whether or not you got it.

And that's all I mean: the comments are really neat and really special and worth keeping around. I like them because they were always a good source of comedy (and, admittedly, sometimes a good place to recheck the facts presented in the article) and because there were people there I enjoyed talking to. Of course it's a billion times better when you see and hear and get to know those people over here, and you see where that comedy comes from and it's a lot more special and real.

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Sat May 14, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri May 13, 2016 7:58 am

Matthew Notch wrote:here's a comment that I wrote that no one is ever going to see again, because it's a reply to a comment that is in downvote hell.
[ Image ]
But who's the burning hairball that downvoted that.png

Last edited by DoglovingJim on Fri May 13, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kate » Fri May 13, 2016 12:36 pm

[redacted]

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Delta Jim » Fri May 27, 2016 11:36 pm

From 6 Classic Movie Moments Made Possible By Dumb Mistakes

JJvagnar wrote:The entire 'Wickerman movie' was also the result of such fortuitous circumstances.

it started out as an attempt to shoot a documentary on a woman run bee keeping business, until to their surprise Nicholas Cage assaulted one of the workers while wearing a bear costume and chased her daughter off into the horizon.

They secretly filmed his antics around the island for a few days, before the islanders finally managed to capture him and exorcise him from the island using a Nicholas Cage is only known weakness, setting a giant straw man on fire with him within.

They followed the smoke from the flames back to his Hollywood mansion and waited a few hours as it resumed his corporeal form and told him they had secretly been taping him and asked him to letthem use the footage. Still weak from his recent wickermanification and death, he eagerly agreed so that he could regain his strentgh more swiftly with the attention and confusion of the movies viewers.

They edited the footage, did some voice overs, removed the parts where Cage was too weird or over the top, and the rest is history!

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat May 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Is it wrong that I liked Wickerman?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun May 29, 2016 9:49 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Is it wrong that I liked Wickerman?

What's wrong with liking Wickerman?

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun May 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun May 29, 2016 1:46 pm

The answer is nothing, nothing is wrong with liking Wickerman.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Spoiler: show
Screenshot_20160622-143521.png
Screenshot_20160622-143521.png (447.87 KiB) Viewed 10421 times

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experie ... crets.html

Maybe more people will start coming to gyms.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol