Favorite Comments

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: Favorite Comments

Postby SandTea » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 pm

I saw that one. I resisted the urge to reply because I couldn't be sure it wasn't supposed to be some kind of meta joke (and because I don't post there). It was the first one I've seen saying the opposite of the yawn worthy 'too many trump jokes' complaints so I guessed it was a swing and a miss. That person does seem to post somewhat honestly, or at least consistently most of the other times I've seen them so it could be genuine.

To answer the rhetorical question, because I'm one of those, I want conspiracy and mystery articles. But I'll still read how my finger length controls my life because my world revolves around fun little distractions and tidbits of info I can use to seem cool-er at bars.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Jeckel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 am

Hannasazi copy/pasted that exact same comment on all the articles today and has been posting basically the same thing on many articles the past few days. I've never been able to figure out if the user is a troll, an edge lord, or just a run of the mill arsehole (which would be fine, I'm an unapologetic arsehole after all), but regardless of how serious they are or aren't, they are definitely in the ridiculously small minority when it comes to wanting more of the biased political articles.

I think it has been plainly clear by the abundance of comments as well as the huge drop in views (depending on the source they have lost somewhere between 20% to 50% of their traffic over the past year) that viewers have long since grown tired of the politics/preaching shtick.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Jeckel wrote:I think it has been plainly clear by the abundance of comments as well as the huge drop in views... that viewers have long since grown tired of the politics/preaching shtick.

I do not think that is clear. It's also what I think to be a point of daleks post. That when asked, every single reader has a different view of what "should be" Cracked. I have no problem with Cracked pointing out racist/sexist/dumb shit trump does but I know some people do. It always been strange to me that people take it so personally. "Politics and preaching" are as relevant, if not more so, as the 5 ways video games troll pirates.

If ya don't want to read about whatever dumb thing trump said yesterday, I understand. It is a lot to deal with. It turns out a lot of people do enjoy a little schadenfreude though. Also, the articles exploring possible indignities within pop-culture being shat upon is exactly the reason why they should exist. I know they get comments so that is a financial reason but they (hopefully) also get thought about. Even if folk vehemently disagree.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm fine with political articles, as long as they're funny, not preachy. The Onion, incidentally, seems to have been moving in the same direction as Cracked, though not as drastically or as fast. Political articles on comedy sites need to be more your typical Reductress article and less like that ATB article saying Trump was literally Hitler.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:24 am

Fah, Trump isn't Hitler. Everyone in the know know's that. Trump is the anti-christ.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 am

Oh man! I have many, but the one I remember the most was on an article called something like, "I Was a Real Hitman: Shocking Things Blah Blah" something or other. Someone in the comments wondered something like, "Why do hitmen even go through with the hit? If I were a hitman, I would just take the money and run. Like what is your customer going to do, call the police?"

And someone replied, "well no, but they'll RUIN your yelp rating."

:lol:

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Jeckel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm

SandTea wrote:I do not think that is clear.

I don't want to drag the thread off-topic (I thought it was a different thread when I originally posted), so I will just say that Hannasazi's post being uncommon enough to warrant comment and the numbers themselves on Cracked's popularity drop over the past year are evidence enough for me that both commenters and casual viewers are sick of the biased political articles. If that isn't enough for you, then I don't know what evidence would be needed, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby archaeologydalek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby archaeologydalek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm

REDACTED

Attachments
Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 am

My two favourite comments from articles I wrote or co-wrote (I don't know how to do the whole 'make their avatar come on the screen too thing)-

Been hearing a lot of stuff about how Cracked isn't as cool as it used to be.
To my mind, these kinds of articles are exactly the sort that has formed the spine of the website over the years.
As brilliant and informative as any you'll find, these are the kinds of articles that got me hooked to Cracked.
More than anything else, this proves that Cracked is only as good as its contributing writers. If you wan't more awesome articles, come up with them yourself instead of grumbling.

Kudos to the writers!

And-

well this was s**t

The last one had me genuinely laughing out loud.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Qinglong » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:04 am

Regarding a boar-bristle shaving brush, someone posed the question, "Are the boars wild or farm raised?".
Hopmeister wrote:I have it from a very good source that the hairs are obtained from the finest wild boars in the German Black Forest in a completely humane (actually, swinerific) fashion. First, a family of boars is located by ninth-generation Italian bristle harvesters operating under the current European Union Interstate Compact treaty. A family of boars is only selected under carefully controlled criteria which includes that the family is certified Vegan (quite uncommon in the wild boar community as they are known omnivores), progressive in their piglet-rearing qualities, very liberal and therefore accepting of other undocumented foreign animals within their community, and most importantly, self-aware. Once a family has been selected, the harvesters assimilate with the wild boars and live with them after gaining their trust through only positive-reinforcement techniques like all-natural treats, belly rubs, piglet-sitting and forest ecology participation trophies. Only after fully assimilating with the family, which often takes three years or more, can harvesting of the bristles begin.
Daily grooming activities within the family are the norm for this ultra-progressive boar family. Their hygienic nature is unrivaled in the forest and they are the envy of most forest animals (except the badger; they are just arrogant and hedonistic jerks who openly mock shave brush owners using their hairs). As such, the harvesters gently cut away only the annoying and unwanted but ultra-soft premium-quality hairs from the bodies of the boar family members during daily spa sessions, then collect them for transport. Since the harvesters are now one with the community, this transport is done via Rock Pigeons, aka, Carrier Pigeons meticulously raised by both harvesters and boars alike. It is quite a symbiotic and sacrificial relationship, but the only method truly worthy of a proper shaving brush to be owned by a discriminating and altruistic person.

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:53 pm

TL;DR - Paragraphs are the devil.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep