John Cheese just got #metoo'd

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: John Cheese just got #metoo'd

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 pm

AMg wrote:@Kivutar I appreciate the correction. I exposed my cultural backwardness by making it clear I don't know anything about art haha!

@NathanLoiselle Nope! Just a broke ass grad student who enjoyed someone finally writing articles about life as a member of the poor/working class. Again, not excusing what he did, nor do I have any reason to believe his victim is lying. Just wish more people could appreciate creative output despite it occasionally coming from unpleasant people.

Good man, I agree with you. And welcome to our forum mate.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 pm

So, is Talia Jane a pseudonym, or are we talking about this person?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kate » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Crimson847 wrote:So, is Talia Jane a pseudonym, or are we talking about this person?

That's the one.

Okay so I know I tend to be not of the "believe women no matter what!" Mindset anyway, but she herself said that she responded to him by...logging off Twitter and asking of his wife knew? It's an abuse of power but it's not clear that he consciously and knowingly abused his power. She can say "I didn't want to burn bridges and he knew that and took advantage" but did he know that and take advantage? We'll never know unless he says he did, and what he said was that he never thought about it like that until her recent post. It doesn't take away from the fact that this was wrong and he should have known this was sexual harassment and abuse of his power. It doesn't change get that he's a sleazeball. But I am very uncomfortable making a judgment of his intent and then tying retributive punishment to that.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 am

Aren't we all broke ass grad students when it comes down to it? Aren't we all??

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby mmf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Kate wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:So, is Talia Jane a pseudonym, or are we talking about this person?

That's the one.

Okay so I know I tend to be not of the "believe women no matter what!" Mindset anyway, but she herself said that she responded to him by...logging off Twitter and asking of his wife knew? It's an abuse of power but it's not clear that he consciously and knowingly abused his power. She can say "I didn't want to burn bridges and he knew that and took advantage" but did he know that and take advantage? We'll never know unless he says he did, and what he said was that he never thought about it like that until her recent post. It doesn't take away from the fact that this was wrong and he should have known this was sexual harassment and abuse of his power. It doesn't change get that he's a sleazeball. But I am very uncomfortable making a judgment of his intent and then tying retributive punishment to that.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't she say that was her first reaction? That his behavior escalated and she took it to HR?

mmf
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep
Title: Red Whine

Postby Windy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:22 am

I think Cracked needs to go one step further and not only erase Cheese from the website, but erase Cheese from existence.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:32 am

You mean summon the dark arts Windy? That would be ... dark.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:18 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Kate » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 am

mmf wrote:
Kate wrote:

That's the one.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't she say that was her first reaction? That his behavior escalated and she took it to HR?

She did, but never says that she asked him directly to stop. Maybe she did and just didn't say it, but logging off of Twitter isn't a signal at all and "does your wife know?" can easily come across as flirtatious in text. That's why I'm questioning the extent to which he understood his advances were unwanted before losing his column, or whether he realizes he was in a position of power that compromised her ability to consent in the first place even after that (his claims seem to indicate that part is a recent revelation to him). I think this stuff should be obvious to people who are self-aware and aware of enthusiastic consent, but I don't think John Cheese is very self aware. So to say he purposely used his position to take advantage is understandable but I'm not sure if it's accurate. It doesn't really change a lot.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby 52xMax » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:20 am

Windy wrote:I think Cracked needs to go one step further and not only erase Cheese from the website, but erase Cheese from existence.

That's rather lactose intolerant of you.

I still think this thread needs more puns

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Marcuse » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Why stop with just cheese? Erase yoghurt as well or you're all a bunch of hypocrites. End the dairy fascism.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:56 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:
Windy wrote:I think Cracked needs to go one step further and not only erase Cheese from the website, but erase Cheese from existence.

Given the amount of crap I got for ironically calling for the punching of Sargent, I'm pretty sure you deserve a little crap for calling for a murder.

Please use the report button if you have an issue with a post.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:31 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:I don't have a problem with the post. I have a problem with how I was treated before in this context.

If you don't have an issue with the post, you have no reason to wish for the poster to get crap for it.

If you have a problem with the soft moderation you got in the past you know what to do and it's not posting in this thread about it. You can go to the ask a mod forum or just message the staff about it.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext