JF Sargent

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

JF Sargent

Postby Somenews » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Like most people, I figured JF Sargent was fired from Cracked due to budget cuts.

But, apparently, "Sarge" was involved in some sort of "abusive behavior" involving people he dated, and apparently trying to intimidate them into silence via third parties. There is a lot of stuff on Twitter about it (from other Cracked authors, like Tom Reiman and Robert Evans, among others). Still, it's all kind of vague. Sargent apparently fled the internet as a result.

Does anyone know what Sargent actually did? I always knew he was a huge piece of shit, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Somenews
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Re: JF Sargent

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:52 pm

I haven't heard anything but just caution from this mod: let's be cautious during our discussion and be sure not to go into harassing territory.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Somenews » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 am

I guess no one knows anymore than me.

I can find the tweets, etc if anyone cares.

Interesting, but not surprising, that one of Cracked's biggest SJW scolds turned out to be a total fraud.

Somenews
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm curious about the tweets.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:07 pm

After seeing this thread I did a search and found some from Tom Reiman saying they had to physically drag him away from someone he was abusing, at work.

I'd link them, but I'm at work and Twitter is blocked.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I am also curious about said tweets

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Here's the shallow dive.
https://twitter.com/startthemachine/status/993233844147924992

Hey just a heads up, JF Sargent is privately sending people to harass my friend into silence about the abuse he inflicted on her. I can’t tag him because he’s blocked me because he is a coward, and he’s doing this in private because he is a coward.

A dozen coworkers of ours witnessed me have to physically remove Josh from the room when he cornered a woman he swore he never abused and refused to stop screaming into her face. She was frozen up the whole time.

edit- slightly deeper dive.
https://twitter.com/search?q=jf%20sargent&src=typd&lang=en

Yikes. I mean really yikes.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Krashlia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm

#CrackedMeToo

there, I made it before everyone else did.

All Hail The Comments Section. Blessed be unto Tesseracts.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 pm

SandTea: The hero we needed.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:35 am

Out of all the regular Cracked contributors who were around while I was reading Cracked, Sargent being the one who turns out to be a hypocritical, abusive douchebag is probably the least surprising. Still horrible, though.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm going to go on record as being really wary of this. Not that I can't believe that Sargent hasn't been a colossal douche at some point, but that I'm really wary of calling someone an abuser based on tweets from people who seem to have no closer than a third hand perspective on the situation. Something seems to have gone on, and I don't know if those things are good or not, but on its own this amounts to little more than speculation.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Marcuse wrote:...but on its own this amounts to little more than speculation.

Unless someone posits that David Bell was fabricating text messages to frame or shame or whatever someone...
https://twitter.com/MovieHooligan/status/993603169832779777
Allegedly sent text by jf wrote:I did the shit she said and I don't know what this means or who I am anymore. I never dreamed I was capable of it. I'm appalled at myself. I have no idea how to move forward and keep facing the world

...that would be an admission of guilt some sorta shitty behavior. That's more than third person. That's even more than we normally get with first person accounts from victims.

The specifics are unknown but the implication is apparent. The implication being that whoever, never thought of themselves as a person who would do "something" that would make them appalled at themselves upon reflection of that "something", to a partner they had been dating "for months".

Sure, the "something" should be considered as a point on a spectrum but I am not willing to bet that the "something" lies within the 'good' end.

Last edited by SandTea on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Well it looks like we aren't going to get the full verified story here any time soon, but he's something else I found.

I did some searching and I could not find a single accusation against him that wasn't extremely vague. The only solid accusation is he yelled at a girl and had to be removed from the premises, but this was after the alleged abuse so the nature of the relationship isn't spelled out anywhere.

SandTea, I read the text exchange you just linked to. Notice how it's still not clear what he did. "Abuse" is a serious allegation. We still don't know what he is apologizing for or what he's appalled by. Screaming at the girl? Something else? Who knows. I don't think there is enough information to take sides.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 pm

I tried to made it a point to say I had no idea what the severity of the possible circumstance was. That was the "point on a spectrum" part. Sorry if that didn't get across. From lying to murder I was not trying to suggest anything other than a person allegedly feeling bad about doing "something" does not reasonably imply it was a thing they would think anyone should do and therefor a thing that they themselves think to be in the wrong.

I don't think I said or even privately assumed abuse. Was it the "victim" line? I'm asking so I can try to be more clear in the future. That was just a comparison to the 3rd vs 1st hand accounts not me trying to drag this into metoo debates, if that was the worry.

If the text is to be believed then there aren't really sides to take, is what I was trying to say. Both parties to the alleged "whatever happened" would be in agreement that it would have been better if "whatever happened", didn't. That's all.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 am

SandTea wrote:I tried to made it a point to say I had no idea what the severity of the possible circumstance was. That was the "point on a spectrum" part. Sorry if that didn't get across. From lying to murder I was not trying to suggest anything other than a person allegedly feeling bad about doing "something" does not reasonably imply it was a thing they would think anyone should do and therefor a thing that they themselves think to be in the wrong.

I don't think I said or even privately assumed abuse. Was it the "victim" line? I'm asking so I can try to be more clear in the future. That was just a comparison to the 3rd vs 1st hand accounts not me trying to drag this into metoo debates, if that was the worry.

If the text is to be believed then there aren't really sides to take, is what I was trying to say. Both parties to the alleged "whatever happened" would be in agreement that it would have been better if "whatever happened", didn't. That's all.

A bunch of people on Twitter seem convinced Sargent is an abuser. I assumed you were taking their side so that's what I was responding to, sorry if I was misinterpreting.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Next