Are you boycotting Cracked?

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Are you boycotting Cracked?

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:07 am

Are we boycotting Cracked? What are the collective opinions concerning what is going on with their site and their recent decisions? Is there a different thread for this? :|

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: Say hello

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:24 am

LunarTeaHouse wrote:Are we boycotting Cracked? What are the collective opinions concerning what is going on with their site and their recent decisions? Is there a different thread for this? :|

I haven't been to Cracked in quite a while, but in any case, the sub-forum for all that is here. I was planning on going back some day to binge-watch a bunch of videos, but they're not there anymore, so...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Perhaps we should change the title of this thread to something, oh I don't know, more descriptive? Like "Show Everyone How You're A Crappy Singer" or "Hey, Ever Wanted To Freak Out People With Your Voice?"

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 pm

LunarTeaHouse wrote:Are we boycotting Cracked? What are the collective opinions concerning what is going on with their site and their recent decisions? Is there a different thread for this? :|

I can answer that by saying that TCS is not a hivemind, nor do we pressure any of our members to do things they don't want to do. This is not PWOT either, so as long as you respect our community guidelines, you won't get banned or censored for expressing your opinions.

However, you might still get disinvited from the orgies if you don't exercise proper hygiene.

(Mods, feel free to move this to a more suitable thread)

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Re: Are you boycotting Cracked?

Postby Marcuse » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:57 am

Are we boycotting Cracked?

Not by any sort of design. There are people here who still read it every day, and people who've not been there for years. TCS doesn't have any statement either way on that, and any opinion expressed by any member, even staff, really just represents their own view.

What are the collective opinions concerning what is going on with their site and their recent decisions?

Ask ten people, get ten different answers. Personally I think Cracked has been making poor business decisions for a long time, and it's caught up to them. I'm angry that that has been bounced back onto their most well regarded creators and I think that, again, this will harm Cracked in the long term. I don't see things getting better any time soon, though I think it's a shame because there was some genuinely awesome comedy coming from the site.

Is there a different thread for this?

There is now. (It's this one)

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:25 pm

I still read it every day out of habit...but with about half the articles getting published that used to, no videos, and some of the articles being single section re-posts from older articles, and few to no comments to read afterwards, it doesn't take very long out of my day.

One thing that I have noticed, and this may be me being cynical, or some problem on my end...on the photoplasties/pictofacts, I swear, there is always one entry that won't load. Just one. And you have to reload the page to get it to work. Suspicious.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I think it was early 2014 (2015? my memory is shite) when I quit my cracked habit. January or February. It was due to the message they put when they shut down the comments on an article that wasn't humorous in the least as it was about men being raped by women. I don't recall my exact comment but it was basically "This is supposed to be a humor site, where's the funny part of this article?".

And the message they put was basically "If you commented on this you're part of the problem". Not, "If you said X,Y or Z, you're part of the problem", no just you're a bad person for commenting at all. Since I was part of the problem, I figured they don't need my page views anymore. I wanted to be entertained, they wanted to preach. I had no problem with the article other than it was posted on a comedy site.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby AboveGL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:43 pm

I follow the Facebook page because they will periodically link an old article well worth reading again. I avoid anything I suspect is recently written and possibly politically charged (unless the title and subject matter interest me) and photoplasties/pictofacts.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm

I feel really bad for Cracked and the people who work(ed) there. I would still read it if there was any worthwhile content. Last time I went there I saw they were heavily pushing a guide you can buy to being a Bitcoin billionaire, which makes me want to die.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

There's a funny psychological phenomena where if you give people an amazing gift, they'll like it better than if you give them the same gift and a gift that they still like. I don't know if this applies to good gifts with bad gifts, but I suspect that it does. I stopped reading Cracked as the articles I enjoyed reading got buried in articles I didn't like. That was back sometime around 2015, I think.

Funny thing is that even by that point there was still usually at least one article a day I enjoyed reading. Yet there are websites like PopeHat and Tetrapod Zoology which publish less often than that, but I still visit them. The thing I think I had an issue with at Cracked is that I'm a compulsive reader. Once I clicked on an article I'm going to read at least the page I'm on and probably the whole thing. And Title Guy was very good at his job of generating misleading, clickbaity titles.

I'm not boycotting Cracked; I've just given up on it. Before all the writers were fired I would have repeated the cliche about "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed, but after seeing the writers all get fired while Wong kept his job I am at least a little mad.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm

I don't avoid the site if I see an article that grabs my interest linked elsewhere. But I don't visit Cracked to see what they've published lately, and I haven't for a couple of years.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:32 pm

52xMax wrote:I can answer that by saying that TCS is not a hivemind

I think I speak for each and every member of this site when I voice my absolute, unreserved agreement.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby JamishT » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 pm

I can usually find at least one interesting article to read during my morning reign on the porcelain throne, and if I run out of stuff to read/do on my desktop I'll check out the "pictofacts" that I otherwise ignore.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks everyone for replying, especially @Marcuse for making this thread. I'm not the most technologically inclined.

I'm not really boycotting Cracked on purpose, but I haven't checked in a couple of weeks now. The past few months the site's articles have mostly revolved around super heroes, movies, super hero movies, Trump and politics, and fund raising. It can't even be saved by the comment section, which is mostly just people asking what happened to the site and saying how much better it used to be.

I used to read it every day, every article religiously, even the ones I wasn't sure I'd enjoy because I'd always inevitably learn something. Remember the science articles, or the history articles? I'm not much of a history person, but I remember one called "Biggest Pacifists of WW2" or something. I learned about how Richard Antrim, an American POW in a Japanese internment camp was sentenced to dig trenches as a punishment. He decided to dig them into the shapes of a giant "U" and "S" which was subsequently seen from the air and saved hundreds of lives.

Those were the days, man. :|

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Next