Redacted

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Redacted

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Re: So, Cracked is crowdfunding

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:35 am

Hopefully they fail to meet their crowdfunding target due to years of using clickbait to pander to a casual visitor base that isn't as likely to shell out cash as the dedicated, quality-focused readership they've consistently demeaned and driven away. That would just tickle me pink.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:29 am

Oh wow. Crowdfunding?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Marcuse » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:30 am

So now the site whose leadership has spent years shitting on the dedicated commenter base is now asking people for money to "keep the site free". I predict this will result in paywalls on Cracked within a couple of years. It's a shame because a lot of the actual writers are blameless in that, but still, why would anyone want to pay for being spoken down to by a site that ceased to be about actual comedy and became a vehicle for the writers' political opinions a long time ago.

Make us laugh again Cracked, then people might consider thinking about paying out of their pocket for your internet jokes.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:12 pm

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:14 pm

With this I'd like to announce that I too will soon be crowdfunding my new car. It's a 2003 Ford Thunderbird. It's cool, it rocks and you all want me to have it. Don't you?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:55 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:With this I'd like to announce that I too will soon be crowdfunding my new car. It's a 2003 Ford Thunderbird. It's cool, it rocks and you all want me to have it. Don't you?

You'll have fun fun fun until Daddy takes it away.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 pm

I'll probably toss 'em a few bucks when I'm employed again. Maybe buy some stuff from the Cracked store as well if they have anything nifty. The personal experience articles alone make it worthwhile to me.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 am

I suggested cracked adopted some kind of tip jar model years ago, during one of the several reader exodus* in order to stay afloat since more people were using things such as AdBlock. Unfortunately as many have pointed out, and we should know given that most of us used to be avid readers of that site, rather than fostering a community and encouraging people to remain invested, they did the exact opposite while also pushing their clickbait strategy even more aggressively than before, resulting in their current predicament.

I say you reap what you sow. Many of the columnists I used to follow have left cracked for clearer skies long ago because they saw this coming, and even people who were onboard at the beginning such as Jack O'Brien have jumped ship because they finally realized that ostracizing your fanbase to further social agendas is not exactly profitable.

My guess is that, just like Leaf group, Scripps is going to dump cracked sooner rather than later, and they're going to be shifted around between media companies for a while like a game of musical chairs or one of those juice blenders that keeps being regifted in secret Santas for years, until everyone forgets about the site. And that's the optimist take.

* Exoduses?, exodi?, Exodia the Forbidden one?

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 am

Leaf group? wasn't it Demand?

Also I enjoyed the comment section on that one. It's filled with people explaining that cracked is definitely using the social justice articles to rage bait and that that's definitely increasing, not decreasing their revenue.

You know.

Under an article begging for money.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby SandTea » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 am

There's a new wong article addressing this. I don't have much more to say on the topic. I saw one comment saying it would be nice to directly pay the fraction of a cent my clicks are worth to the site rather than having a middle man and I'm sure as F not turning off adblock. I'd be happy to donate a few cents and even happier if I could directly fund the authors I like for more of the same (looking at you Dalek) edit: who is probably not here anymore.

The only other thing is I have only once felt that cracked was purposely insulting it's audience. That was with their troll article by nick pell, I think. Other than that even when they are "insulting" to ideas, I have never taken that personally and find it odd, perhaps understandable but odd. When they say X is blank-ist, I've never thought "but I like X and I'm not blank-ist". That sentiment just confuses me.

Last edited by SandTea on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby archaeologydalek » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:00 am

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 am

SandTea wrote:There's a new wong article addressing this. I don't have much more to say on the topic.

I do, because this is Wong's penultimate full paragraph:
Jason 'Pargin Our Appearance' wrote:And make no mistake, this will be a crisis for some. Starting next year, Chrome will start blocking ads by default, and all other browsers will soon follow. Sure, they say they will only block the "intrusive" ads, but those are the only ones that advertisers will pay for; if the ad isn't "intruding," then it's being ignored, and if it's being ignored, the advertiser is wasting their money.

Thing is, advertisers for years paid for ads on the assumption that they raised brand awareness. They still pay for ads like that on TV and billboards, and pay big money for it. It's only on the internet that advertisers have decided that because users can click through, if they don't click through they shouldn't have to pay. They also feel that they're entitled to data on all the people who visit the site; hence the reason that blocking JavaScript blocks even non-intrusive ads most of the time. These are an idiotic attitude which somehow the market isn't correcting. Either TV ads are overpriced or internet ads are severely underpriced, which is it?

And people do see non-intrusive ads. Back before Cracked went down that road, I remember all the Snorg Tees ads, and all the jokes people made about them (and other ads), in the comments. I never bought a Snorg Tee because I didn't find them clever, but I certainly noticed them and if I found them clever I would have. The fact that people are deliberately opting to allow non-intrusive ads should give you a hint, but the advertisers and ad networks aren't taking it and Wong certainly isn't.

And he completely ignores the fact that allowing intrusive ads doesn't just eat data, make pages slow to load, and hijack you where you don't want to go; it makes your browsing experience unsafe. Or rather he acknowledges it as a complaint and then doesn't address it, which is worse.

Edit for minor typo, see below, also another typo I noticed wright after.

Last edited by cmsellers on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:06 am

cmsellers wrote:They also feel that they're entitled to date on all the people who visit the site;

???

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next