Redacted

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: So, Cracked is crowdfunding

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 am

Crimson847 wrote:
cmsellers wrote:They also feel that they're entitled to date on all the people who visit the site;

???

Typo, should read "data." Even static ads use Javascript (I think to serve you cookies), and disabling Javascript will make the ads disappear.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SandTea » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:36 am

I may have poorly phrased that sentence. I wasn't saying I agree with everything just that I had little to say on the subject. In order to fix the current internet revenue model we'd have to change everything about everything basically.

cmsellers wrote:It's only on the internet that advertisers have decided that because users can click through, if they don't click through they shouldn't have to pay.

This, I admit, I had no idea was a thing. It is horrible and I agree.

Out of curiosity-

These are an idiotic attitude

I know there are some different rules in some English speaking places. Just wondering if this is one of those moments. I would normally say "these are idiotic attitudes" or "this is an idiotic attitude".

Edit for minor typo, see below, also another typo I noticed wright after.

*Giggle* nice one

And to dalek, hearts back atcha. Do another conspiracy article!

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby archaeologydalek » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:35 pm

SandTea wrote:Out of curiosity-

These are an idiotic attitude

I know there are some different rules in some English speaking places. Just wondering if this is one of those moments. I would normally say "these are idiotic attitudes" or "this is an idiotic attitude".

No, that sort of thing happens a lot because I re-write my posts and don't always catch all the agreement issues I need to change. In this case, I realized that advertisers demand two things they wouldn't get on other media: consumer data and clickthroughs and yet still pay less than they do merely for exposure on TV or billboards, and these demands are distinct issues. So I changed "this" to "these" but forgot to change the rest.

That said: I should note that if I say "these people are an embarrassment to the human race" it sounds perfectly fine, and grammatically it's the exact same thing. I think that the difference is that "embarrassment" is rarely pluralized and so functions almost like a mass noun despite taking the indefinite article, while "attitude" is clearly a count noun which is often pluralized.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous