John Cheese just got #metoo'd

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

Re: John Cheese just got #metoo'd

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Oh queso you gouda brie kidding, this is a serious topic.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Windy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 pm

So does anyone want to post the original and the other 5 women who are making claims or do I have to hunt for it myself?

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 pm

At the time I wrote my last post I had not looked at the accuser's Twitter account and all I know about her is she refused to accept his apology. After reading some of her Tweets demanding that John Cheese's career be deleted forever Jamish's post makes a little more sense to me in that context.

Many people on PWOT are also demanding he be deleted. I think that's dumb, removing his work won't erase his actions.

Cracked has done some articles featuring morally impure people, like their interview with a former terrorist.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Windy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 pm

If you want something done right...

http://archive.is/nxuBx
http://archive.is/aIPoR

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:00 am

I'm having trouble with the scrubbing Cheese from the internet. Was what he did wrong? Sure. Does that mean that he should be leveled to only that act? No. Cheese has many things about him that make him an asshole. Not all of them have to do with sex. Ultimately I don't agree with censorship because of wrong doing.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:33 am

I'm surprised Wong's doing anything given his resentment over not being able to flash people as a child.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Somenews » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:33 am

Wong is in self-preservation mode. Hoping to avoid people asking about the toxic pieces of shit he covered for at Cracked. You think Cheese and Sargent were the only 2? I kind of doubt it.

Somenews
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Marcuse » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:49 pm

From the very helpful links Windy provided, it seems like her intention is some kind of crude system of deterrent. She wants to make it clear that men who abuse their power will lose that power. I'm guessing that she's identified his writing as a target because it's how he's been enabling his behaviour. She complains that when she was involved with Cracked that she felt she couldn't burn bridges by ignoring him or calling him out; she wanted to progress her career so she didn't call out someone who was harassing her, and he knew that and used it to stop her from cutting him off.

In that context, I can see why she's asking for his content to be removed. It's how he's been leveraging against women in order to harass them. If he hadn't used his position to engage in that behaviour, my assumption is that she wouldn't be asking for it to be removed.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 pm

You know. If Cracked erases it's mistakes then it's doomed to repeat them in the future.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:59 am

Aquila89 wrote:This title scared the crap out of me, because I misread it as John Cleese.

I had the exact same reaction, even on discord when they mentioned him.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby AMg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:15 am

I liked his writing, sad to hear he was a guy who was disrespectful toward women and his coworkers. I made a profile here, though, to say that it is entirely counterproductive to scrub all trace of him from the web. It makes me resent the victim for being unable to separate art from the artist.

I mean, Picasso was a feeaking nutjob and a stalker, but we don't burn Starry Night. Cheese's advice columns helped me out of some tough places. Him harassing his coworkers doesn't change that.

So, I spent the last 90 min going through Google Cache saving his Cracked pieces. If anyone wants copies give me a holler.

AMg
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:01 pm

AMg wrote:I mean, Picasso was a feeaking nutjob and a stalker, but we don't burn Starry Night.

Starry Night was Van Gogh, not that he was the sanest either :P

hums to the Pink Panther tune Pedant, pedant...

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Are you sure you're not John Cleese, AMg? 'Cause that sounds like something a sane and stable man would say.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AMg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:03 pm

@Kivutar I appreciate the correction. I exposed my cultural backwardness by making it clear I don't know anything about art haha!

@NathanLoiselle Nope! Just a broke ass grad student who enjoyed someone finally writing articles about life as a member of the poor/working class. Again, not excusing what he did, nor do I have any reason to believe his victim is lying. Just wish more people could appreciate creative output despite it occasionally coming from unpleasant people.

AMg
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

PreviousNext