[Pendragon RP] 485 Adventure - "Bête Noire"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 485 Adventure - "Bête Noire"

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 am

Terrwyn nods, not trusting herself to speak. She turns away, grabs Diane by the arm, and speed walks out of the hall, beckoning to Bryce to follow.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:50 pm

The ladies all giggle at Bleddyn's unnecessary introduction. Eliver puts on his usual cheerful grin, though his eyes betray a slight discomfort. His friend is happily talking to Llewella. It's not supposed to be he who needs Bleddyn's help in speaking to people. Come on now, they're only girls.

"It is delightful to meet you, my ladies." He makes the best polite conversation he can for a little while, and then suggests a game of backgammon to Gwiona, one of Lady Ellen's handmaidens and, if he's to think about such things which he must sooner or later, an heiress of some wealth.

From the bits he overhears of Bleddyn's conversation, he's telling Llewella that very funny story about his sister Tegan. Now there's a woman with a fine sense of humour.

The following morning, Eliver wakes in time to watch Persidius' duel in the freezing courtyard. He of course is glad of his friend's victory, but can't but be saddened that Sir Bregan is grievously hurt and not expected to live: the knight put on a fine display of courage, fighting on even though he seemed badly hurt after the first blow he suffered.

Soon after, it seems there's to be another duel, but this time only for love - and for marriage! Terrwyn has challenged Sir Jaradan, of all people, to fight her, and he must marry her if she beats him! He's probably the best swordsman in Salisbury, though; but if she should defeat him, he's handsome, famous, and landed. If El was female he would certainly hope to catch the eye of such a potential suitor. He cannot possibly miss this show.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Having mooned over Llewella the night before, Bleddyn didn't realize the discomfort he caused Eliver. He was too busy thinking about how the light shined just right and how her smile was just perfect and...ahem.

He saw the duel with Persidius and must grudgingly give respect to his talents and the honor with which he handled himself.

He also saw the declaration of a duel from Terrwyn. Now, that will be a show. He must see this. He must try to get all the ladies in waiting to watch this event as well, as that will surely bring Llewella. His lady cousins always enjoyed a good bit of drama and show, no doubt they will as well.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Scarik » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Sparring like squires for the amusement of the court seems novel to Persi though the stakes seem awfully lopsided. Is Sir Jaradan really that much better that he can risk it, or is he a fool? It rankles his sense of decorum to even have a wager based on knightly practice, but when among the Cymric, do as they do.

How will we know the victor, he wonders. A judge perhaps? Some count of knockdowns or disarmaments?

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm

What follows is one of the closest and most exciting duels in living memory. The entire castle has gathered to Watch Sirs Terwynn and Jaradan clang swords in the snow-covered courtyard for love and marriage, including the Earl and the Countess to the lowliest scullion. The rules of engagement specify the victor to be the first to knock their opponent to the ground twice. Many betters assume that Jaradan's victory is a foregone conclusion, but come to watch the dance of shining blades anxiously.

What Terwynn lacks in strength and raw mass, being rather petite in comparison to her opponent or her better-known comrade Arcadia, she more than makes up for in agility, balance, and grace. She opens very well, planting a series of solid strikes that send her prospective husband maneuvering backwards, but not downwards. Jaradan of course, being the best swordsman in all Salisbury, finds his footing, ripostses, and wins the first point, bringing his bated blade hard down on Terwynn's shield at an opportune moment, forcing her to follow it to the ground. He steps back to let her return to her feet. Once she has done so, he himself takes the offensive, and this is where the real excitement begins.

He slashes and hacks and bashes and thrusts, onto, over, under her guard, sideways, backways, frontways, but Terwynn resists him, and after a full four minutes, executes her own riposte, holding her shield high, swinging low to the side and buckling his knee from behind. He keels over like a great stone and crashes to the ground, to the shock and uproarious cheers of the audience. He climbs to his feet and faces Terwynn. He is smiling devilishly. He can't remember the last time he faced a true challenge to his skill. The pair square off for the final round. Even in the dead of winter, after the five minute battle, beads of sweat roll down their brows. Their swords meet again, and after another bout of ryrhmic scraping, Jaradan disarms her. Instead of rushing in to his victory, he chooses sportsmanship, or perhaps showmanship, backs off and lets her reclaim her weapon.

The last minute of battle is the most anxious of them all, with the continuing pattern of Jaradan's expert barrage thwarted by Terwynn's preposterous dexterity, until at last, he gains the advantage. She swings again at his legs, but he's ready for her. He meets her blade with his shield and reaches over her own to thrust downward at her mailed chest, not hard enough to cause more than rather painful bruise, but hard enough and high enough to tip her backwards onto the snowy ground. Jaradan is the victor. Cheering and clapping ripple through the crowd. "Ruddy good show!" booms Sir Amig, to popular consensus. "Kiss her!" someone shouts.

Jaradan is of course more than happy to oblige. he casts aside his sword and shield, helps her to her feet, takes hold of her head, and siezes his prize, a long deep kiss. If the crowd wasn't in a collective fit of hysteria, they are now. He breaks it off only when breathing can be ignored no longer.

"If it's all the same to you, I think I'll have you to wife after all"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Despite his misgivings Persidius finds himself glad of his status as a vassal since it let's him take a better spot to view the spectacle. He cheers each solid blow and each deft counter and he feels his chest leap when Terrwyn spills to the ground.

The disarmament makes him as silent as the others to see what Jaradan does. He proves himself quite the sporting fighter and when Terrwyn returns his knockdown Persidius roars in approval! Jaradan's win doesn't break his mood at all and he bangs his feet and claps regardless.

Its not at all like a fight, but it appeals to something deep inside Persi's soul.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Arcadia's winter has been pleasant, but mostly dull to her after the intensity of the monster hunt, the Saxon slaughter, and the knighting in between. Terrwyn's impromptu visit to her manor was... quite interesting, but a deep-rooted part of her thirsts to swing a sword again and have it hit flesh and bone, not a sparrer's shield or a training dummy. She is getting just a bit restless.

So, having heard about Terrwyn's forthcoming duel, she is obviously there alongside everyone else to watch, as breathless with anticipation as she is with anxiety. She has glimpsed Terrwyn's skills on the field of battle, and knows intimately by now that her beauty belies a great deal of agility . That alone would make this worth watching, but despite her confidence in Terrwyn, the stakes of the duel hover at the forefront of her mind enough to slightly cloud her passion for violence. She does not know much more about Jaradan than the common knowledge of his incredible swordsmanship, but his attitude grates against her ever-growing hatred for arrogant and possessive men, and she feels a faint itch thinking about how she never got to personally kill Drusus. Nevertheless, she holds Terrwyn in high esteem and watches throughout the duel, cheering every time the battle swings out of Jaradan's favor and waiting for her to be victorious.

... Until Terrwyn is narrowly defeated, swept up in his arms, and kissed.

The moment is somewhat surreal for Arcadia, in spite of the signs pointing to Jaradan's victory toward the end of the engagement. She can only bring herself to faintly cheer along with the crowd so as not to draw attention, and her knuckles whiten as she clenches and unclenches her fists. Her immediate instinct is to satisfy the part of her that craves a real fight, but even in her haze, she knows how ungodly foolish that would be here and now.

Thus, she can only watch and wait to see Terrwyn's reaction.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Terrwyn hurts all over. She tries to get up, head buzzing, faintly hearing the roars of the audience and tries to calculate how much of the court will turn a bit cold, but then the big guy is there, helping her up, and - before Terrwyn can shake hands or even smile relievedly - kissing her. She has little energy left and thus submits, waiting for it to end. However, the man is not finished, it seems.

"If it's all the same to you, I think I'll have you to wife after all."

Terrwyn goes quiet. If she reacted negatively, she will look like a person without much sense. She cannot bring herself to react positively. So she goes quiet and looks over at the crowd, seeking, until she finds her. Arcadia.

Why does she look so pale today? Is it just the winter air?

Terrwyn thinks. She cannot remain silent any longer.

"You honour me by your offer sir, more than you know. But I... I am afraid I must ask for some time to consider it. I will not be needlessly cruel. You shall know on the morrow."

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Confusion ripples through the crowd. Did she take a knock to the head? Is she playing hard to get? Women are simply indecipherable. "What's she playing at?" someone says aloud.

Sir Jaradan takes it in stride, and smiles. "As you wish, Sir. Tomorrow then." he says affably, before bowing.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Terrwyn nods and retires to take off her armour. She is conspicuously absent that night at dinner, along with another whose disappearance is perhaps noted most by Sir Amig. In the morning, Terrwyn appears at breakfast and asks to speak with Sir Jaradan privately afterwards. Probably if anyone cared to look too closely they might think her eyes seem a little red.

~~~

Terrwyn looks up happily. "I would be honoured to accept you as my lord and husband sir. I place all that I have before you." :) Just tell him whatever bullshit he wants to hear. You got what you wanted, didn't you? You have no right to complain. She braces herself for another kiss, and much more to come in the following days.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:45 am

Sir Jaradan of course indulges himself again, especially since Terwynn has elected to meet him in private for some reason. After he finally desists, he says "And I you". When they enter the great hall together, there is a palpable air of suspense. "We are to wed" proclaims her husband to be, to a round of cheers and applause. Sir Roderick grants his personal congratulations and blessing, and offers to host the wedding feast himself. Already the Bards and Minstrels have crumpled up their tragic renditions of the mythic duel, and redoubled their efforts to get their joyful singles out and performing before anyone else. Jaradan the Champion and Terwynn the Challenger to wed, what could be more poetic?

Elsewhere, Eliver has been spending his time courting Lady Gwiona, and his efforts appear to be paying off quite handsomely, since she has made pains to sit him down to a game of tabula every day since their introduction. If he were the sort to notice such things, he'd think she was enamored with him.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 am

Bleddyn, having heard of the rumors of enamoration (good god, is that a word?) via nods, winks, smiles, and plain old writing it down in Latin from Llewella has been frequently smiling and good naturedly elbowing Eliver in the ribs while chuckling when said Lady is about.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:15 am

Taken from a series of PM's by KleinerKiller's permission.

Shortly after the announcement of Jaradan and Terwynn's engagement, Sir Amig asks to speak with Arcadia privately.

"Of course." Still shaken but trying to hide it, she nods and walks with him.

They stroll through the snowy courtyard. "I saw your conduct on the field of battle at Meacred, and must take the opportunity to tell you how impressed I was of your...vigour" says the Lord. "It seems you're quite the rising star in this County." he remarks.

"You... erm, honor me with your attention," Arcadia says, straining to keep her voice even-toned. "I suppose I am."

"I hope you are not mourning the courtship of Sir Jaradan" says Lord Amig, taking notice of her emotional distance.

"Oh no, your lordship, nothing like that." Arcadia's unscarred cheek flushes slightly and she does her best to act natural. "I am simply processing a lot of personal things that have happened recently. Sir Jaradan's duel, and his fortuitous courtship, were merely a fine distraction from them."

His eyes study her, as they have done since her knighting last spring. He never smiles, he might not know how. He himself is not free of disfigurement, a few scars on his battleworn face, one running down his chin leaving a patch in his dark grey beard.
"I am glad for you on that count at least. You strike me as a tough woman if I can be bold, and such men are the misery of tough women. The flowers and smiles are all up front, and then what. I have the coarse mouth of a soldier my lady, an honest soldier if I may say so. I have neither the skill nor the patience for pleasant courtship. To be straight to the point. I find you comely, and I admire your ferocity. I have wed twice and have four sons to show for it, I have no need for another breeding sow, so think not of that business if you find my age an impediment, though I hope that it is not. What I am looking for is an ally. To that end, I should like to offer you a place at my side. I would like you to marry me."

Arcadia's stomach twists itself into knots at the suddenness of his proposal, though knowing she shan't have to spread her legs for an old man makes it slightly more palatable. She had a feeling this was coming, but the timing couldn't be worse. The thought of Terrwyn still hurts. A huge part of her soul screams to reject him outright, but still, a smaller part whispers in an icy clear voice.
Why not? She thinks in spite of herself. He is a man of great power and esteem, which is an easily understood boon to me. He is also a respectful and knowledgable man, unlike the ones who usually pursue me -- or try to claim me without caring for my say-so. And he is also not long for this world, by any reasonable estimate.
The logic is cold, cruel to him and to her, but it is sound all the same.
And besides...
She bitterly recalls Lady Catrin's flowery messages of a foolish dream, Terrwyn's passionate embrace so soon before her betrothal to an arrogant bastard of a man, dozens of other spurned lovers and promising relationships cut off too soon.
I am never going to find someone I truly care for. Not if I want them to stick around.
Swallowing her misgivings and daring to entertain thoughts of younger, fitter men and women, she smiles. "You are not normally the kind of man I set eyes on, Lord Amig, but I can think of no better man now to have me. I accept."

He clasps her forearm and they shake, from knight to knight.

Later, more discretely, Lord Amig breaks the news to Sir Roderick in his Solar, to his consent and blessing.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:28 am

By way of the Earl, who mentioned it to the Countess, who mentioned it to her handmaidens, who spread it to their confidantes (some by way of writing latin), who in turn spread it to the rest of the court, news of a second major engagement in the same day has become common knowledge by evening meal. Both weddings, as well as that of Lady Tatiana and Sir Pamigen, are to be held at at the Cathedral on the final day of Christmas, in a few days. Truly gossip is the quickest natural force of all.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:35 pm

The Lady Gwiona proves to be an agreeable companion and appears to be very fond of games. Bleddyn seems greatly amused by Eliver's showing some attention to a woman for once, even though he himself is so obviously smitten with his Llewella that it's not easy for his old friends to get any of his attention. Still, Eliver's pleased to see the painfully shy young man be so cheerful and confident.

Of course, El doesn't confine himself to spending time only with Gwiona. He means to make the most of the time at court and makes an effort to talk to as many people as possible. He speaks with Sir Elad, and gives him a good report of how his grandson is doing as a squire, and on one evening approaches the young troubadour Sir Padraig while he's not playing, and compliments him on his music.

Padraig responds by asking about his sister. Eliver hadn't been thinking of that, but if he should prove to like her - well, a maid of Alicia's age, with a brother and an elder sister to boot, could do worse. He may be a wandering musician but he's also a princeling, albeit of someplace over the sea in Ireland. El suggests that he come and be introduced to her.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext