New Game - Pendragon play-by-post Interest Thread.

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: New Game - Pendragon play-by-post Interest Thread.

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:19 am

So far that's:

Kleinerkiller
Sunglasses
52xmax

I'd like to have at least one more player, any takers?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:48 am

I... might be interested. I'd have to see the core rules and all that, because I've never played Pendragon (though I have done D&D, Rolemaster, and Palladium Fantasy, so I can at least kind of groove with the whole chain mail and swords motif).

Couple of questions though - would I have to play an actual knight? Or could I be knight-adjacent, like a squire or a field doctor or something like that?

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:34 pm

DashaBlade wrote:I... might be interested. I'd have to see the core rules and all that, because I've never played Pendragon (though I have done D&D, Rolemaster, and Palladium Fantasy, so I can at least kind of groove with the whole chain mail and swords motif).

Couple of questions though - would I have to play an actual knight? Or could I be knight-adjacent, like a squire or a field doctor or something like that?

It's certainly possible to play as a squire, in fact in the campaign all the players are supposed to be squires for the first adventure, after which they are all knighted.

There are also alternate rules for playing a Lady, if that's the groove you'd like to rock.

I mean the system will support practically anything you'd like to play. I had one (in-person) game, where one player was a Danish spy, posing as a foot-soldier.

Knights are optimal for player characters because they

A) Have extensive training, nearly their entire lives.
B) Have access to the best weapons, the best armor, the best horses, the best food
C) Are at a level in society where they can hobnob with the great political players, but are not directly involved in politics on the grand scale
D) Have the welfare of their progeny ensured. It's a generational game, you play the first character, their son, and eventually their grandson. If he has land, he'll never have to worry about providing for his family
E) Are exactly the sort of people who would be sent out on quests. If a lord has a problem, he doesn't send some guys down to the tavern to fish out a whacky band of mercenaries, that's what his knights are for.

The issue with playing a character who is not a knight, is that you won't have the same level of agency as the players who do play knights. If you're a squire you'll be adventuring with whoever your mentor/employer is, but you won't have their knightly equipment (warhorse, lances, shields, swords, chainmail), and you'll have to be at their beck and call to handle their spare horses, polish their armor, cook their meals etc. If you're a surgeon you'll only ever be where your employer wants you to be, usually with their household or by their side while traveling. Other than keeping everyone in good health you won't have a tremendous amount to do. The secretly danish footsoldier I mentioned died in battle without children (being on the ground in cloth armor in a battle with thundering horses and pouring arrows isn't very conducive to one's health) and made his next character as a knight.

There's a maxim that was coined by Noah Antwiler (of the Counter Monkey series) about DM'ing star wars games: "Either everyone plays a jedi, or no one plays a jedi."

I'm a bit more flexible than that, but if you choose to play a non-knightly character there is going to be a disconnect.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:52 pm

I'll be PMing a link to the core rule book to everyone interested. A few of the systems have been retconned by later supplements, and in particular there's been an overhaul of the political situation. As a rule of thumb, I'd just ignore everything that has to do with money and the stats of NPCs.

it's quite a long book, so if you're short on time the chapter dealing with character creation begins on page 25.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm involved in two RPGs already. This sounds really interesting but I'm not sure whether I'll have the time. How often will we be playing/how much effort are you expecting (are we talking daily posts, or being online as much as possible? Some of our forum RPG games have been known to get quite intense)? How long is the campaign likely to last?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:20 am

CarrieVS wrote:I'm involved in two RPGs already. This sounds really interesting but I'm not sure whether I'll have the time. How often will we be playing/how much effort are you expecting (are we talking daily posts, or being online as much as possible? Some of our forum RPG games have been known to get quite intense)? How long is the campaign likely to last?

A post from everyone at least every 2 days wouldbe ideal. I'll be much more available than that, so if the players are going at a decent pace I don't think I'll be the limiting factor. I'm not expecting a paragraph long reply, if a sentence will get the point across or it's all you have time for, a sentence long post will do fine as long as it keeps things moving.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:53 am

Cpt._Funkotron wrote:It's certainly possible to play as a squire, in fact in the campaign all the players are supposed to be squires for the first adventure, after which they are all knighted.

There are also alternate rules for playing a Lady, if that's the groove you'd like to rock.

I mean the system will support practically anything you'd like to play. I had one (in-person) game, where one player was a Danish spy, posing as a foot-soldier.

Knights are optimal for player characters because they

A) Have extensive training, nearly their entire lives.
B) Have access to the best weapons, the best armor, the best horses, the best food
C) Are at a level in society where they can hobnob with the great political players, but are not directly involved in politics on the grand scale
D) Have the welfare of their progeny ensured. It's a generational game, you play the first character, their son, and eventually their grandson. If he has land, he'll never have to worry about providing for his family
E) Are exactly the sort of people who would be sent out on quests. If a lord has a problem, he doesn't send some guys down to the tavern to fish out a whacky band of mercenaries, that's what his knights are for.

The issue with playing a character who is not a knight, is that you won't have the same level of agency as the players who do play knights. If you're a squire you'll be adventuring with whoever your mentor/employer is, but you won't have their knightly equipment (warhorse, lances, shields, swords, chainmail), and you'll have to be at their beck and call to handle their spare horses, polish their armor, cook their meals etc. If you're a surgeon you'll only ever be where your employer wants you to be, usually with their household or by their side while traveling. Other than keeping everyone in good health you won't have a tremendous amount to do. The secretly danish footsoldier I mentioned died in battle without children (being on the ground in cloth armor in a battle with thundering horses and pouring arrows isn't very conducive to one's health) and made his next character as a knight.

There's a maxim that was coined by Noah Antwiler (of the Counter Monkey series) about DM'ing star wars games: "Either everyone plays a jedi, or no one plays a jedi."

I'm a bit more flexible than that, but if you choose to play a non-knightly character there is going to be a disconnect.

Cool. I guess no druids or crazy pagan barbarians then. Unless there was some kind of wrangling going on where there was some kind of alliance with the Britons, which would make things more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm fine with playing a knight, especially if there's a learning curve. Hell, in D&D I always make brand new green players make their first character a dull ol' human fighter, because it's so much easier to learn when you're not going to bleed out by being scratched by your own familiar (wizard) or die due to a single punch from the guy whose pocket you tried to pick (thief).

Plus, hey, ya never know. Maybe one of my grandkids will be a druid or a crazy barbarian or a dirt farmer or something, depending on what kind of marriage arrangements get made down the line. ;P

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Cpt._Funkotron wrote:A post from everyone at least every 2 days wouldbe ideal. I'll be much more available than that, so if the players are going at a decent pace I don't think I'll be the limiting factor. I'm not expecting a paragraph long reply, if a sentence will get the point across or it's all you have time for, a sentence long post will do fine as long as it keeps things moving.

It's not the length of the posts, it's the being there to make them, and decide what to do. I could manage a post every day or two but I wouldn't like to be the one holding everyone up if it's moving faster than that, so I think I'll have to cry off this one.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:50 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
Cpt._Funkotron wrote:A post from everyone at least every 2 days wouldbe ideal. I'll be much more available than that, so if the players are going at a decent pace I don't think I'll be the limiting factor. I'm not expecting a paragraph long reply, if a sentence will get the point across or it's all you have time for, a sentence long post will do fine as long as it keeps things moving.

It's not the length of the posts, it's the being there to make them, and decide what to do. I could manage a post every day or two but I wouldn't like to be the one holding everyone up if it's moving faster than that, so I think I'll have to cry off this one.

Okay, feel free to drop on in if your availability changes. New squires are hypothetically being knighted every game-year or so, incorporating players after the start is a piece of cake in this game.

If you'd still like to play in some capacity on your own time, I'm fine running a separate solo thread so that you can develop your character and earn glory without fear of slowing anyone else down. Not every knight would be sent on the same missions all the time, you'd still be able to rp with the other characters via message like "just got back from slaying a demon bear, what'd he have you do? Hunt down a saxon warband? That's rough. Hey, there's a feast over at Sir Gerald's next saturday if you want to drop by".

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby ArthurHood » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I would love to join this game if the invitation still valid?

ArthurHood
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Lord

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Welcome aboard, Arthur. It'll be good to have an experienced member of the party.

I've asked Arthur to play, he's a friend of mine and he's played the game before.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

If this is still open, I'd like to join as well.

But before that: Someone else mentioned how this seemed to be very complex and I agree, especially because I have very little experience with tabletop RPGs. I don't want to get in over my head and bring down the game for everyone else. So, what I'm saying is, if the game is reasonably easy to get into, I'm in. Otherwise, I'm not.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Piter Lauchy wrote:If this is still open, I'd like to join as well.

But before that: Someone else mentioned how this seemed to be very complex and I agree, especially because I have very little experience with tabletop RPGs. I don't want to get in over my head and bring down the game for everyone else. So, what I'm saying is, if the game is reasonably easy to get into, I'm in. Otherwise, I'm not.

O hai there, sorry this took me an embarrassingly long time to see. Yes, we are open, but not for the current adventure-year. I'll PM you the book though, so you can have a character all filled out for year 486.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 am

Bumptety-bump-bump-bumping this thread back up, because with the conclusion of Year 485, Sign-ups are open for Year 486 - "Blood and Water". There are two slots open for new people, and they'll be filled on a first come first serve basis, so hurry on up and drop me a line if you're interested.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Novum-Semita » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Hello, I'd be interested in playing this time around. Is the slot still open? Could I have a link to the core rule book please?

If it speaks, it knows too much already.
Novum-Semita
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext