PALADIN 769: The River and the Wizard-Knight

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: PALADIN 769: The River and the Wizard-Knight

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:10 am

Renier glares as the arrogant teenager finishes her little speech. Disrespect? Someone needs a reality check. (Honest 16 ftw!)

"If Sir Egier knew what you were doing, I doubt that's the first thing he'd be concerned about. You could have as easily appointed one of your men as the leader, but I suppose you fancy a thrilling adventure. Dreams of saving your beloved and being back in time for the party and all that.

"My cousins tell me you pulled the same trick last year," he continues before the girl can get a word in. "Did you think before running out of camp and into a dark forest filled with God knows what? Did you wonder what would have happened if you met the ogress first, instead of Sir Adele? With all due respect, you're alive because of Roobeastie Providence, my lady! You may disregard your life, but did your handmaid also sign up for the dangers you lead her into?

"I'll not have a wandering nuisance. If the mighty heir of Lorcé-chèssion wishes to come with us, she will work with us. If she is ordered to stay put, she'll stay put. Hecate can teach you if you get confused." Renier calls for the group to move forward.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:16 am

Ermeline, deflated, gives in and joins Sir Renier's mission with a worthless promise to obey. While she sulks her knights thank Renier for his firm hand,

"We apologize, Sir. Ever since her father has returned she has become ever more strong willed and defiant. Lord Lorcé is too weak from his travails to reign her in and we are but servants, thankful to our liege for our employ. "

The speaker is Sir Francois, brother to Ermeline's mother. He is an old man well past his prime whose armor hangs from his withered form like a sheet on a drying line. He is a skilled lancer but his days of couching one are long past and his true value would be as a jousting master showing young squires the proper forms. That he has donned his ill-fitting armor and ridden out with his reckless lady says much for his integrity.

"She would only sneak away, Sir Renier, so what could I do?" he pleads.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:44 pm

"There is no need to apologise for your niece's actions, Sir." Renier feels uncomfortable at the sight of a senior knight humbling himself. "Experience will make her a better person, though a few proper words now and then won't go amiss, of course," he smiles. "As for your part, you're going beyond your duty," and the girl probably doesn't even recognise it, he grumpily finishes in his mind.

The group travels onwards, asking around in villages, following hoofprints, and trying to piece together where the bandit knights have gone.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm

With the extra baggage they travel north another two days until they come across a merchant who is clearly in distress. The most obvious sign is that his cart is overturned and his mule is nowhere to be seen.

He waves frantically at them calling out, "Sirs, sirs, please help."

Assuming they stop to investigate they can see that the merchant is well dressed except for the fact that he isn't wearing a cloak, a fact that is linked to his lack of a mule it seems. One of his two assistants, the older of two boys, has a fresh bandage on his head.

"We were accosted by a band of robber knights just yesterday. They took nearly everything, even my cloak."

He goes on to explain that he was carting incense, candles and wine from the Prince-Bishop of Liege to the cathedral in Bastogne. He had a package with a few other things meant as gifts as well, but now all he has is a dozen candles out of a thousand, an empty cart and an injured son.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby bydawine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:34 am

Sorry, I'm late to posting. Slight miscommunication on move to new message board. "Do not fret my son. We will find these bandits are return God's property."

bydawine
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Hecate picks up a curious scent that can only be Bayard, "like the wind," she says before she detects other horses, including a mule. Her nose carries them down a rough, forest trail with many turns, dips and low hanging boughs.

Everyone but Leufroy roll Horsemanship. His sure footed, non-warhorse can handle this and he is at the back anyhow.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:48 am

There is a particularly narrow section that runs beside a stream for several yards with tangled roots and trees pressed up against the other. If the enemy though they were being followed this is likely where the ambush would be.

Fortunately all it does is cost them an hour to get the party across and they are on their way once more. A few hours later and it begins to get too dark to continue even though its barely mid-afternoon. The thick forest strangles the spring sun long before nightfall to make an eerie dusk.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:18 am

Night deepens into total darkness. Outside of the fire light the woods are black as the darkest soot. The knights keep watch but there is precious little to see, even their own fires seem cowed by the ominous night.

That is until a few hours past true night when the blackness erupts with the dancing lights of fireflies in their hundreds. They seem to be everywhere, blinking in and out in brilliant flashes against the bleak night.

Sir Rashad, on the first watch, is as delighted as the squires but he notices that all the horses and hounds, even Hecate, are mesmerized, almost spellbound by the lights.

He tells this to Sir Rosamund when he wakes her to relieve him.

It takes but a moment for the fae-knight to determine what has happened, "Will-o-the-wisps, some say they are the souls of unbaptized children who wander this world."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 am

Whether bold or foolish, the group leaves their horses behind and sets out into the deep, dark wood after the faerie lights.

The paths they follow are narrow and winding with many bulbous roots and tangling thorns. It seems as if they follow for hours, but is impossible to tell without being able to see the sky.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 am

In a bit of wood like all the rest they have passed the ground suddenly gives way to steep embankments. Earth and stones tumble down the newfound hills in all directions as to the adventurers.

Sir Rosamund and Rev. Leufroy take hold of a stout branch or trunk just in time to arrest their descent before the hillside breaks up into spurs of sharp, exposed flint. They look around and in the dark think they can spy the shapes of one of their companions.

Sir Rashad grasps a rather springy branch and while it prevents a fall it does also gets him turned around so that he loses all track of his environs.

Sir Renier likewise grabs a branch but it is not stout enough to entirely hold his giant frame. It does manage to slow his fall and keep him away from the spurs though. He can dimly see the way back up toward where the others were though he would need to brave the flints to get there.

Sirs Adele and Coenwulf do not manage to find a branch, nor to avoid the spurs. Out of reflex they reach out to slow themselves and receive deep cuts to their hands as they slide down away from each other and the rest of the group into the tangled undergrowth at the base of the slope. Lost and alone with no sign of the others they quickly realize that their hands are nigh useless as well.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Sir Renier finds Sir Adele Image
Sir Rosamund finds Sir Coenwulf Image
Reverend Leufroy finds Sir Rashad Image

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 am

The knights stumble and grope in the murk until they find themselves in pairs. Sir Rosamund finds a way safely down through the spurs to reach Sir Coenwulf while Sir Renier moves around an giant tree to find Sir Adele. Rev Leufroy finds Sir Rashad easily enough and the pair of them become the last two still at the top of the rise.

Regardless of where they are they each have the have the same encounter though they see no sign of the others: the darkness a bit and in the light of several will-o-the-wisps they see a knight's pavilion with a shield hanging by a rack of dark, wood lances painted with silver stripes. The arms are unfamiliar being Sable, three Lances in bend sinister argent.

A small creature, perhaps a dwarf or goblin, though the night is too dark to tell, spies them and darts inside the tent whereupon a tall knight in charcoal dark armor emerges. His flesh is pale as moonlight, his tabard is trimmed with silver and his squire lurks behind him holding a helm embossed with silver inlays. The pommel of his sword is a black stone held in a silver claw.

"All those who follow the lanterns of the damned shall stay evermore in this wood unless one of your pair face me in a contest of knightly skill. Three passes ahorse with the lance, three afoot with the sword and three more with the mace. Each contest is forfeit if one is struck to the ground. For each of your victories I shall grant you a boon with the first being the knowledge of how to escape this cursed place."

"What say you, Knight of Ardennes? Will you accept, or cower in the dark until you die."

Rosamund and Renier may roll First Aid

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 am

"If you're done, I would see to my sister," Renier refrains from rolling his eyes. He bends down and bandages Adele's hand as best as he can, although it barely lessens the pain. Frick. He should have stopped this foolish adventure. He will just have to hope to best this strange knight, find the rest of the cousins and get the hell out of this cursed wood.

He rises. "How shall I address you, Sir?"

"I am the Black Lance of the Dark Wood," the knight replies. Of course that's his name.

Renier frowns. He has to get Adele out of here. Who knows how the others are doing? Probably worse? :( He shakes his head.

"I accept your first challenge!"

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Rashad glances briefly at Leufroy and takes a cautious step forward,

"I accept, Sir Knight."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Scarik » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:24 am

The Black Lance of the Dark Wood is a formidable foe. Tall and broad at the shoulders, his arms are like cord wood in their tension and his feet are as agile as a goat's. He is also handsome and vigorous beyond what mortals expect.

Since the knights are afoot the dark elf summons two stallions who seem more shadow than flesh and allows his opponent first choice of steed and lance. The three challengers mount to face him though each seems to be alone there is a strange feeling as if they are watching from afar for both Rashad and Rosamund.

The valet sounds a horn and the joust is on.

The first pass sees the dark elf shatter his lance in a mighty strike in the center of the knights' shields where it draws a deep cut across the displayed arms and jars them to the base with its impact. But they withstand the blow and wheel to charge once more with fresh lances. This time it is the challenger who strikes true and the dark elf who reels in his saddle. He salutes his opponent and prepares for the final joust.

The Black Lance of the Dark Wood prevails and salutes, "Well fought, Sir Renier," The Black Lance of the Dark Wood exclaims. It has been long years since anyone has landed a point on my shield and longer still since one has stayed in the saddle against mine."

Next is the contest of the sword. The knight's square off afoot with their own blades and the stature of the dark elf becomes easily apparent. He is taller than Sir Renier though not nearly as broad across. The first exchange goes to the challenger but without enough force to rock the towering elf. Then with force that he fails to display in other contests the Black Knight drives forward and spills his adversary to the wet earth.

"That is a marvelous sword you possess, Sir Rosamund," The Black Lance of the Dark Wood says, "I expect it will be a great help in the trials to come."

Last is the mace, the newest of the knightly weapons but that which King Carolus demands his warriors master. The first exchange results in a fearsome strike that hurls the challenger backward yet not down. The dark elf nods and they continue this time with a mighty hit to the Black Knight that drives him backward but again not down. The third meeting sees the superior skill of the faerie knight spill his opponent head over heels across the field.

The Black Lance of the Dark Wood salutes and hands his dented shield to his valet, "Well struck, Sir Rashad, I admire your courage in facing me with a weapon that you have yet to master."

After the contest, though the foeknight is victorious in all bouts, he invites the challenger and companion into his pavilion and has his valet see to their injuries. He offers them meat, cheese and mead and over a light supper engages them in conversation about a great many subjects about which he seems incredibly learned and yet still curious of other interpretations.

Most surprising is his command of Scripture in Latin, Greek and Hebrew, as well as Suras in perfect Arabic.

After they rest he sighs, "Alas, I have prevailed and so my father forbids that I give you the knowledge of how to escape this place, but you have proven your quality and so my honor demands that I aid you with some assistance in payment for the sport you have provided."

There are many dangers still ahead, and the Black Lance of the Dark Wood is glad to answer 3 boons. Knowledge of what is to come, steeds to carry them, guidance on the least (or most!) dangerous paths, or anything else that he can provide.

****By some strange magic the contests are concurrent and the dark elf faces each of the 3 knights and calls the name of the best one each clash.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext