[Mobsters RP] Week of February 1st, 1925

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

[Mobsters RP] Week of February 1st, 1925

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:51 am

Sunday, February 1st, 1925
Slightly Overcast. Fifty-Five Degrees Fahrenheit.

Newspaper Headlines:

Alaskan Diphtheria Epidemic Continues
Alaskan interior experiencing Diphtheria outbreak; no medicine available. Harbor is frozen, roads are untenable, no rail exists, and the wind conditions make air-transport impossible. The People of Nome have dispatched a dog-sled team to run the Iditerod trail to retrieve the vital antitoxin.

Ireland Needs Food
President WT Cosgrave has appealed to the United States to send food aid to help with yet another famine befalling the potato crop, brought on by heavy rainfall.

Advertisement:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the mouth of the Mississippi river, in the southeast corner of New Orleans, is a bustling harbor block, and behind it, a neighborhood called the Riverbend, named for the crook in the river beside it. It is a seedy counterpart of the French Quarter, which is just over on the western side of Esplenade Avenue. Storefronts and small apartment buildings line the major east-west thoroughfares of St. Claude and Royal, much of it either old colonial or brick Victorian structures, but the side streets and alleyways are lined with slums.

Sailors, dock hands, and rail workers mingle with the locals in the busy sidewalks on their ways to or from work. Cafes are going through their morning rushes. People stand in line for streetcars. Some houses of ill repute are only just evicting their patrons into the chilly morning air, throwing hats and coats after them. Over everything hangs the shroud of organized crime; hardly seen, but always felt. It's simply understood, even by simple law-abiding citizens (what few there are) that not every crate that comes into the harbor should be looked at too closely, not every store has a back entrance you should hang around too long, and not everyone you pass in the street makes an honest living. The name Mandiz is only bravely whispered.

This morning, the Riverbend has just been introduced to the Callaghan-Beauchamp gang.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Beauchamp Grill, known as the Beauhamp Bar and Grill before Prohibition, is worse for wear when the Callaghan-Beauchamp Gang all meet up there at about 9 o'clock in the morning. It's a small two-story restaurant on the corner of Elysian avenue and Clathering street, by a small drainage canal. Windows are smashed in, and the back half of the building is burnt out, including the kitchen and store rooms, the stair case, and most of the second floor balcony. Only the front seating area and the street-facing office survived the fire, although with the stairs out, the office is only accessible by ladder. Buckshot and Evie were told in the probate court proceedings that the fire marshal found the remains of an illegal still in the dry storage closet, and concludes that the fire must have been caused by an alchohol-related accident. He didn't have any explanation for the broken windows or empty kerosene cans strewn about the place, nor the bullet holes in the walls of the office.

Floor Plan:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 1 Intentions: Everyone
Buckshot, Gin Witch, and Bayou Belle's parents were killed by men working on the orders of Jacques "Madcap" Mandiz, the boss of the Mandiz outfit. According to the police, no one saw a thing, but it's no mystery. Momma and Poppa Beauchamp were deep in debt, and so they started bootlegging to supplement their income. The Mandiz outfit found out, and demanded extra 'protection' money to leave them in peace. They refused, and so a crew of Mandiz thugs went around to burn the place to the ground. The old couple got in the way.

Now, the gang is left with a half-burnt restaurant that is $5,000 dollars in debt to the internal revenue service, and have until 5:00 PM on the 1st of March to pay it off. That, and a vendetta against the Mandiz outfit. However, they know enough to know that Mandiz is much too powerful to attack openly and live to tell of it.

At the same time as the Beauchamp half of the family have all that to deal with, the former Callaghan gang had their own reasons as well for coming south; relocating their criminal activities.

So, what do each of you do today? Bear in mind that you may team up to do things, or go do things seperately. The World is your oyster. Include at least the following,

Plan for the Day (could be a day-long undertaking, or just the first of many things your character plans to do):
Gear on Person (Including your specific wardrobe today, any weapons or ammo that you are carrying around with you):
Cash on Person:

If anyone doesn't respond within 36 hours, their characters are just assumed to not be doing anything of consequence to the group as a whole.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Re: [Mobsters RP] Week of February 1st, 1925

Postby sunglasses » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 am

Livvie, the Gin Witch herself, did not have the means with her to even start brewing some bath tub gin. She did have some spirits should could probably sell by the shot in an alley near the grill...but it would be better in the long run to look for a new still.

Gear on person:Dress, trenchcoat, watch, booze

Money on person: $390, safely hidden and distributed between her brasserie, her pockets, shoes, and various undergarments.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Jimmy walks into the restaurant. He sees a moderately attractive woman whom he hasn't met wearing a dress and trench coat taking inventory.

"Well hello there, Sweetheart. I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of meeting you. I think I'd remember seeing such a beautiful face in this shell of a restaurant."

He gives her a charming smile.

"Is Evie around? I have some photographs that she would be greatly interested in."

Gear: Wearing suit and hat, carrying camera (loaded with film), has six developed photographs and a flask filled with booze in breast pocket. Has cash hidden away in a secret compartment of his trumpet case, which he carries with him.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby sunglasses » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 pm

"Hello there, sugar. I'm sure my sister is around here somewhere and if not she'll surely show up soon.

Now, do you happen to know where little old me can find a new still? It appears that the fire marshal took the burnt shell of the one here.

I can tell you're a man who can appreciate some distilled spirits and may want to help this girl out."

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:18 pm

"Sisters, huh? I guess Evie would probably mind if I asked you out, then. Don't want to get in trouble with the boss.

"Funny you should ask about the still. I have information that might be useful to you. I think I found where the Mandiz gang is stashing their booze." Jimmy pats his breast pocket. "I'm sure Evie would love to see these pictures I took ... for the right price."

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:59 pm

"Oh I'm she sure would. We should wait for her to get here, sugar. I daresn't speak for her. Are you sure you can't give me a little peek of those pictures?" Livvie pouted.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Felice does not exactly cut an inconspicuous figure.

He had made the suggestion that someone should go out and get the lie of the land, since a lot of the gang don't really know New Orleans, and immediately volunteered for that task, before any of his cousins had the opportunity to "volunteer" him scrub soot off walls or anything equally boring. Now, he is riding his bike around the city, taking in landmarks and generally keeping his eyes open, but also just plain enjoying himself. And taking the corners a little faster than his mother would be happy with: but now that he's in a different city, what she won't find out won't trouble her.

Still, he should head back, if only so he doesn't use up too much gas. He doesn't have much cash to fill the tank. In a few more minutes, anyway.

Wearing: jeans, shirt, leather jacket.
Carrying: two revolvers in hip holsters (loaded, plus 12 extra rounds in a pocket, i.e. 1 full reload), concealed knife.
Cash: 60c
Riding motorbike

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 am

"Now, you seem like an enterprising young lass. I'm sure if you were the one to bring the pictures to Evie, she would be mighty appreciative. I get the feeling you might be the type eager to prove yourself useful to the family. What are the pictures worth to you?"

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:12 am

Mike comes in from the back.

"Evie 'n jack will be right in," he says jerking a thumb out to where they can see the rear end of his 1921 Birmingham 4-door.

He takes a look at his sister-in-law and the snitch looking a bit cozy. His lip twitches but he doesn't say anything about it.

"You got something useful from that boat-ride, Jimmy? Or are those for ya mother?" He gives a wave at the photos.

Plan: Set tasks for the crew. If you come up with something better, do that.
Otherwise Smokestack wants Evie and Dolly to work on the tax problem. Get records, look for breaks and if possible, sweet talk the taxman. Maybe take Jimmy if they have a lot of dames in the office.
-Felice is already out scouting.
-Mordecai and Casey are gonna be on ninja duty once they have a target.
-Mari is the most streetsmart so she needs to get out and start making contacts and working the social info angle while Felice does the physical tour.
-Livvie needs a still.
-That leaves Mike and Deacon to start cleaning up and watch the kids.
-Did I miss anyone?
Gear: Jeans and his leather pilot jacket. 9mm pistol in his inner jacket pocket.
Cash: 6 nickels, 4 dimes 5 pennies, 3 quarters, a half-dollar, a silver dollar and a $2 bill

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:22 am

"Oh, my darling brother in law, sugar here is being so coy about these pictures! He says Evie might be interested in them, for a price, of course.

I doubt he'd like my offer of not kneeing him in the family jewels," Livvie laughs.

She stands to leave, "I've need to find a still and his information is tied to his debt I cannot touch. I shall be off."

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:40 am

"Ooh, I like 'em feisty!" Jimmy smiles at her as she leaves the restaurant. "I never did properly introduce myself. I'm Jimmy Sanders, but those who know their music call me the 'Horn Boss'."

Jimmy turns to Smokestack.

"Now, I know we discussed me making a payment when I got back in town. I ran into a little bad luck on the boat and don't have any cash for you. But I have something better. When I got off the boat, I saw some dodgy-looking Cajuns unloading some crates. Not only did I follow them to their warehouse, but I scouted out the entrances and got a peek inside.

"These six pictures should be enough for you to get a plan in motion. You can hit the Mandiz outfit hard, before they know what's comin'. If ... the price is right."

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:09 am

Walking into the restaurant leading their son by the hand, Evie moves with the confidence of someone who knows all eyes will be on her. Taking a moment to make sure Jacques has somewhere safe to sit and play, or someone to keep an eye on her, she wrinkles her nose as she looks around, pausing to kiss her husband on the cheek. "Well, this looks cozy..."

She grins at the assembled, giving Livvie a little wave. "If you can, make a list of anything you find we might be able to salvage. That'll be less work for us."

That being said, she turns to face Mike and Jimmy. "Was there something you needed me for?"

Gear: Overcoat, classy dress, pocketbook with makeup, derringer strapped to right thigh
Cash: $10 ($5 in pocketbook, $5 in left shoe)

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:11 am

Jimmy explains about the photographs he's taken.

"I'd be willing to hand these over if you knock off some of that debt I owe you. Say, fifty bucks?"

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:29 am

Evie listens to Jimmy's spiel with one eyebrow raised, certainly interested in the photographs but skeptical they'd be worth reducing his debt by that amount.

"You sure those pictures 're worth that kinda money?" She glances at Mike to see what he thinks. "Those kinds of things are up to the boss, not me."

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:41 am

Mike laughs, "Yeah. Fifty bucks but if these ain't any good I'd start running now."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Next