[Game-Adjacent] Mobsters OOC and Info Thread

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

[Game-Adjacent] Mobsters OOC and Info Thread

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 am

How this game will work

This ought to all be pretty straightforward for those who have played tabletop rpg's before, but some of our players either haven't or might need a refresher, so here is more or less how things go:

Turn Procedure

1. Intention
I, the GM, ask you, the player, what you want to do. Usually I'll preface this by providing you some background information or presenting you with one or more problems.

You tell me what you want to do. You can layer this with as much or as little roleplay as you like. It would be helpful if you could tell me which skills you'd like to use, but in case you don't, it'll be covered in step 2. If you can't think of anything for your character to do, all you need to do is say so.

ex.
Player: Johnny walks into the corner shop to get some bubblegum.

2. Complication
I, the GM, may or may not present you, the player, with one or more obstacles that need to be overcome for you to accomplish your Intention(s) for this turn. This will usually come in the form of a skill or attribute roll, but sometimes not. Usually there will be several different ways of solving a particular problem. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

You tell me how your character tries to solve this problem.

Sometimes, your Intention doesn't face any obstacles. If this is the case, this step is skipped and we proceed from 1 to 3.

Sometimes, one complication will lead to another complication. This step can be several posts long, and generally will be if you are trying to accomplish something complicated in a relatively short amount of time.

ex.
GM: The storekeeper informs you that a pack of gum from this store costs $0.10. Johnny has left his wallet at home.
Player: Johnny pulls his gun on the shopkeeper and demands the pack of bubblegum.

3. Conclusion
I, the GM, tell you what happens; whether or not your character achieved what they intended, why or why not.

ex.
GM: The man gives Johnny the bubblegum.

Time Scales
Depending on the context, a turn can represent almost any length of time within the narrative.

Combat Time: The player characters is engaged in combat. Each Turn represents somewhere around 10 seconds. Ex: Johnny shoots the mafioso.

Encounter Time: The player character is doing some specific thing in a specific time and place that is dangerous or of questionable prospects, which needs to be roleplayed in some detail. Each Turn represents a few minutes. Ex: Johnny sneaks into the kingpin's hideout.

Crunch Time: The player character is in some form of trouble or conflict that requires day to day tactical considerations. Each turn represents a day. Ex: Johnny stakes out one of the kingpin's clubs so he can follow his goons to their hideout

Down Time: The player character is more or less running the business as usual, with any problems for the most part being of a big-picture, strategic nature, most of which can be delegated to subordinates. Each turn represents a week. Ex: Johnny runs his speakeasy. There's word going around that somebody has started muscling in on his suppliers, and he suspects the local kingpin, but just to be sure he tells his crew to look into it.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Re: [Game-Adjacent] Mobsters OOC and Info Thread

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm

People will have 36 hours to respond to a prompt before they are skipped.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:56 am

The Five Families of New Orleans

The Old Family: According to them, they are simply the "New Orleans" family; it's their town. Their boss, 'The Capo', likes to think of himself as a second mayor. He's got half as many policemen on his payroll as the real thing, and his turf surrounds the city hall by dozens of blocks. They weren't the first syndicate in New Orleans, but they're the oldest still around in 1925, and the most powerful. They're pure blooded Sicilian, and they don't trust people who aren't. They've got a lot of old-fashioned ideas. Many of them still speak Italian among themselves. They've only recently gotten into the drug trade, and even then it's only in opium. They're currently undergoing some difficulties in the transition of power between Capo's; many of the other gangs are taking the opportunity to seduce the Old Family's lieutenants into switching sides, and carving up the extremities of their territory. But word on the street is that the new Capo, Sylvestro "Silver Dollar" Carolla, isn't a man to be trifled with.

The Cormore: Also an old Italian family, but of mixed extraction; Spanish and French creole in part. The Spanish and French roots go deep, several centuries at least; but their participation in the world of organized crime is relatively recent. As such, they are deeply embedded in the city's social life, and southern Aristocracy in general. In some ways, at the same time as being part of the emerging italian mafia, they also represent the last dying breath of the old plantation owning class, and their influence in New Orleans. The current boss, Don Bernardo Cormore, is an old aristocratic gentlemen with impeccable manners and very few vices. His friendship with socialites, politicians, bankers, and newspaper tycoons make him a powerful crime lord, if somewhat second fiddle to his rivals, The Old Family.

The Silva: Yet more Italians, but no older in this town than the 20th century. Their founding Don was murdered by an unknown gunman a year ago, and ever since they've been helmed by his hot-headed son John "Stiletto" Silva. The young Don keeps a very public and infamous profile; one never knows when he is going to show up in person to take care of something personally. The Silva keep their turf in the newer, poorer neighborhoods of the city west of center. Unlike the Old Family, the Silva have no compunctions in dealing with outsiders and incorporating them into their operations.

The McGall Gang: Irishmen, for a change of pace. Also a very new family, the McGall gang has hardly progressed out of the realm of street thugs. Their leader, "Tall Sam" McGall, is an enigmatic figure, who has been able to take control of the entire shoreline area of Lake Pontchartrain in the north of the city in recent years.

The Mandiz: Possibly not even a family, only an upstart cajun crime boss and his network of cut-throats and smugglers from the Missisippi delta that anyone knows about. No one knows much about Jacques "Madcap" Mandiz. His territory in the city is small, a neighborhood called "The Riverbend" in the southeast corner of the city, but his outfit knows the bayou like no one else.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Announcement

Hey sorry guys, I've been preoccupied for a hot minute and the time kind of got away from me, and I don't think that's going to change in the forseeable future. I'm a full time student and my classes are ramping up toward finals, I'm working 30 hours a week now, I'm trying to do the november novel writing challenge, I've started seeing someone, and I might take up learning the guitar over the winter. Go figure. Anyway, sorry for the abruptness , I might have time to pick this back up some time down the line, but I just can't keep an extra commitment like this right now. Consider the game on pause for the time being.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 am

Cpt._Funkotron wrote:Announcement

Hey sorry guys, I've been preoccupied for a hot minute and the time kind of got away from me, and I don't think that's going to change in the forseeable future. I'm a full time student and my classes are ramping up toward finals, I'm working 30 hours a week now, I'm trying to do the november novel writing challenge, I've started seeing someone, and I might take up learning the guitar over the winter. Go figure. Anyway, sorry for the abruptness , I might have time to pick this back up some time down the line, but I just can't keep an extra commitment like this right now. Consider the game on pause for the time being.

Announcement

We're back, baby.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep