PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 am

Esneux Village

Its not far as the crow flies, but it is half a day as the horse trots due to the narrow, winding paths. It is not lost on them that a wolf would make much better time.

After a few hours their guide, the false pilgrim whose name is Fons, leads them into a heavy thicket that seems foolish to cross but a man can pass easily and with some effort the squires clear it enough for horses. Once through they emerge into easy, rolling hills in the mountain valley.

Ahead, about another hour away across the valley floor the see Eingarhall Castle looming above the pass. It looks as if it is built into the mountain itself and its central tower soars 50 feet (15m) above the curtain wall.

The village sits below with several small buildings climbing up the sides of the mountain but the main portion is nestled in the slope up to Eingarhall on one side, the road east/northwest on another and the river on the third.

Their path takes them around through the fields and vales to the road and then to the river ford. The river is low and slow from the blockage upstream but the banks are steep and form a natural moat so the ford is the only meaningful crossing.

And it is fortified and guarded by a dozen men at arms armed with spears, shields and the old-fashioned francisca axe for which the Franks are named. They are clad in maille byrnies with coifs and leather caps. Their equipment is testament to Sir Eingar's wealth and their presence at the ford speaks to his power.

Their captain steps forward as they approach and calls out, "Hail, Sirs. This crossing is held by Sir Eingar of Eingarshall in the name of the king. Crossing for gentles is two denier per rider."

Just down stream of the ford is a mill whose wheel is still for the lack of water to turn it.
  • 2

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby roobeastie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 am

Dagobert, Leufroy, Adele, Rashad, Shadi

While everyone has their fill, Lady Giselle goes back to strumming her harp, playing a simple tune that helps to set a more genial and pleasant mood. Polite chatter turns to slightly more invasive questions, never crossing the line into impropriety. Eventually, the sun starts waning, signaling that time has been passing while the knights and ladies relaxed.

The lower the sun drifts, the more tired everyone realizes they're getting. Except poor Leufroy, who already succumbed to the itis.

To everyone other than Leufroy, roll Energetic if you'd like to stay awake. If you fail Energetic roll Lazy.
  • 2

Last edited by roobeastie on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:11 am

Ops, forgot to add that if you fail Energetic roll Lazy as is normal with trait tests. When Roo is back she can edit that in and I can delete this post.
  • 0

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Baeraad » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 am

Ragnar sighs and digs through his pouch. Does he look like he's made of money?

"Be it far from us to deny a man his due," he says as he hands over a coin. "We are on a quest, and we may need to speak to your master. Is he receiving visitors at present?"
  • 2

Baeraad
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby panda1594 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:28 am

Adele shifts in her seat as to get a little less comfortable. Trying not to fall asleep she decides to stand up and stretch.

Rolled 6 for energetic, against 12
  • 1

Last edited by panda1594 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
panda1594
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 1:48 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:10 am

Rashad finds he has to stifle a yawn. He shakes his head to clear it and takes a long draught of water - he'd be in worse case if he'd been drinking wine. That helps, and he masters himself, and shifts position so that he is not sitting quite so comfortably. Something is afoot, he is nearly sure of it, and he determines not to succumb to sleep until it has revealed itself.

Energetic 11, rolled 6 - success
  • 1

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Chaomancer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 am

Shadi tries to keep her head up but... perhaps it's the cold, perhaps the pleasant music. Perhaps she's just that tired. Whatever the cause, she can't keep her eyes open and yawns mightily.

Energetic: 20. Good start! Not sure if a Lazy roll is still needed, but... 18, so fail.
  • 2

Chaomancer
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:54 pm
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby WaitingCynicism » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Coenwulf seems skeptical about the motivations of these men - even if Eingar was a good and powerful man. He doesn't say anything for now, but he is mentally preparing for a fight if need be.
  • 1

WaitingCynicism
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:45 am

Esneux

With the toll paid the soldiers step aside to allow the party across the ford and through the guard blocks. Once through the soldiers return to their duties while the captain says, "Follow the road through the village, Sirs. You can't miss the turn to the castle."

No guards follow them, though by the time they reach the village square they come upon a knight in full armor standing at the foot of the church steps when a richly dressed, dark haired, young nobleman in riding leathers storms out of the church.

He looks up at the party and his rage retreats behind a mask of civility, "What have we here? Visitors from Bastogne, I should think by your arms. Are you passing through or do you have business with my father?" he asks as he mounts his courser.

The Glade

The light fades from the sky and the fires cast long shadows against the surrounding forest. The sounds of daylit wood gives over to nocturnal noises ever accompanied by the lady's harp. Their squires have set camp, and though Lady Giselle offered a place inside to Lady Ermaline the proud maid demurred as she much prefers to stay close to Sir Dagobert. The elder lady smiles and cautions her to be alert, young knights can be quite forward away from the bright lights of the court.

Ermaline laughs warmly at the advice. No one would ever accuse her of not being bold herself when she wants something. Or someone.

The parties' own pavilions cover the rest of the glade and one by one they begin to nod off. Leufroy is first to surrender to his drowsiness followed by Shadi. Rashad and Adele by contrast have no trouble keeping alert while Dagobert finds his fatigue compounded by Ermaline's closeness and attention.

Eventually the heiress gives in and falls asleep, though, almost scandalously she does so while leaning against the young knight of her interest.

Lady Giselle must have gone to bed at a similar time as the music from her pavilion fades.

All is calm from then until midnight when the howl of wolves cuts across the valley from the south while much closer bray of a wounded deer pierces the night.

Adele and Rashad roll Awareness. Dagobert roll at -5. Shadi and Leufroy sleep blissfully through the sounds.
  • 3

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Though he doesn't fall asleep, Rashad's mind begins to wander during the long silent waiting, alone in his pavilion except for the sleeping form of his squire Henri.

He starts to his feet, jerked out of his reverie as the quiet is shattered, his hand going to the hilt of the sword he has not unbelted from his waist. Wolves.

Perhaps only wolves - perhaps not, in the circumstances. But they do not sound close; he spares a thought for their cousins, hunting the devil beast perhaps not so far from here. Then, as he is sitting down again, wrapping his cloak about him against the chill of the night, a second cry breaks the deeper than normal silence that follows the dying echoes.

Something else is nearby; again it is most likely nothing, just one of the ordinary beasts of the night or an equally ordinary poacher. Still, there is no point in keeping vigil if he is to take no notice of anything. He gets up and quietly unfastens and slips past the flap of the tent to stand close in front of it. He'll just watch for a while, if nothing happens.

Awareness 10: rolled 6 - success
  • 2

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:45 pm

"Nice Heraldry skill, dude, er I mean Indeed sir, we have been sent by the Marshall. I think Sir Eingar may be able to shed some light on a recent troubling matter," says Renier. "Are you going there as well?"
  • 2

Image
User avatar
Ladki96
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: India
Show rep
Title: =)

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:14 am

The Glade

Other than the sound that had awoken them, that may have been it but for the sharp ears of Dagobert and Adele. Its a minor thing, hardly worth noting under normal circumstances and even when alert almost too faint to make any meaning of. Indeed, if it had been another ten minutes its likely it would not register at all.

But register it does, the faint sound of something being carefully dragged so as to make little noise to the northeast.

And it is getting closer.


Esneux

"I shall conduct you to him, though be forewarned. My father is not one for idle company nor conversation."

Its only ten minutes to the keep, but even in that short time its obvious that the villagers do their best to avoid their lord's men, and by extension the party from Bastonge as well."

Once inside the stone bailey they wait while Eingar's son goes inside. It is not so long before he returns to invite them in and leads them to the great hall. As such things go it is a modest space with room for no more than 50 people of which the lord's household takes half when squires are counted.

There are no ladies or other noble women present though that is not so odd when outside of meals or events. Nor are there minstrels nor finery of any kind. The only sounds are that of the fire and of the servants quietly cleaning and fetching things.

True to his description he looks the group over and says, "And who has the Marshal sent me now?"
  • 2

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:41 am

"Sir Renier, Sir Ragnar and Sir Coenwulf at your service. Sir Egier sent us to deal with the supernatural wolf plaguing these parts. I'm sure we will have your full cooperation in our investigation, my lord?" :)
  • 2

Image
User avatar
Ladki96
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: India
Show rep
Title: =)

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Jellicle » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 am

Constant watchfulness took its toll on Dagobert and, Lady Ermeline’s head on his shoulder, he almost falls asleep. But quickly roused from his half-slumber he draws his sword, and looks towards the edge of the clearing, in the direction of the sounds. Roughly he wakes Lady Ermeline.

“When we first came here, I mentioned your name to Lady Giselle. She recognized it. Now answer me: do you know this woman? If you do, then, by God, you must tell me – it might mean your life!”
  • 3

Jellicle
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby roobeastie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Coming to with a start at the rather brusque way she's awoken, Lady Ermeline rubs at her eyes and blinks as she listens to Sir Dagobert. The question seemed strange in light of them being on lands owned by her family, but she brushed that fact off due to it being early in the morning.

"I feel quite certain that most everyone we encounter will know my name, if not my face. That being said, I have never seen this woman before in my life." A frisson of fear slid down her spine as she gazed up at the knight. "Do you believe we could be in danger, sir?"
  • 0

User avatar
roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 am
Show rep

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest