PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:02 am

The Robber Knight

The locals don't know anything helpful. They have heard the story but it didn't happen nearby so they can't do more than point the party easy where word first came from.

So they move on and pass a few more outposts before turning northeast along a wooded track before they camp in a clearing as there are no settlements within a half-dozen miles by then.

The Wolf

Rosamund falls behind to act as bait with only Hecate and her sword to protect her. For it to work she is well out of earshot and further until Hecate no longer smells iron and oil.

Like that they travel on until nightfall where the forward party spends the night in the hunting lodge that functions as the manorial seat of the surrounding hamlets. The Duke's steward is an elderly, retired knight called Sir Wulfram who lives there with his niece and her husband, the local bailiff.

He invites them in and they enjoy a supper of hot stew as well as pork and venison that is kept on hand for travelers on the Duke's business.

Meanwhile Rosamund and Hecate enjoy the spring night about a mile short of the hamlet just off the path in what they assume is a foresters camp.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:07 am

Rosamund builds a small fire, and lays out her bedroll. She unclasps the cloak from around her shoulders and uses it as a blanket. She frees her sword from it's scabard, and lays it down on the bedroll, under the blanket, within quick reach. She sits down near the fire so as to be sure to be illuminated by it, but facing half away from it, being sure to keep her eyes pointed into the darkness so as not to blind herself. She munches on some bread and salted meat for her supper.

"I'll feed you in the morning if nothing happens, but if trouble comes calling we'll want you on an empty stomach." she winks and smiles at Hecate.

She continues to sit upright, on her knees, mostly in the open air, to maximize her visibility to anything or anyone that may be looking in from the dark woods, the cloak only covering her legs and concealing the sword and her side. At one point she fills a bowl from her water skin and unlaces the dress down to her waist in order to wash up. She takes a good long time to do it, as long as she can justify, periodically swiveling her head as she washes to scan the treeline for movement. To an observer, she hopes, this would appear to be a young maiden at her most vulnerable. What she knows, and what she hopes her quarry doesn't know, is that she is not half-wearing an ordinary dress. The bottom of the dress is secured firmly to her hips, belted tightly around her waist by a small but strong cord of velvet, the half-worn garment is in no danger of hindering her movement if she needs to fight, and unlike most maidens, neither is her modesty. To prolong the picture she is trying to create, after washing, she also unbraids, washes, and rebraids her hair without covering up first, again taking as long as possible to do so. Since she is so near the fire, the cold night air which would ordinarily make this performance uncomfortable, does not bother her much. She sings during this entire process, projecting with her diaphragm to be well heard but not exactly belting for the cheap seats, to the effect of making her laboriously slow ministrations seem more natural, make her appear more like a lady than a knight, and to draw even more attention to her location if she was not already being watched.

When she cannot possibly spend any more time washing her face and torso or tending to her brown curls, she takes her hand mirror, and while she sings, pretends to be enamored with her own reflection like Narcissus, while actually using it to keep an eye on the woods behind her.

She gives this entire display altogether a little over two hours. If nothing comes of it, she will cover herself back up, crawl under the blanket, and pretend to sleep for a few more hours still, keeping her ears open if not her eyes, before eventually drifting off for real.

Should I roll Singing? And/Or Appearance?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 am

Rosamund

Its midnight by the time Hecate stirs and nudges Rosa that something is amiss. The fire is only coals by then but nothing escapes Hecate's nose and she points to the north.

Rosa looks and with her meager nightvision makes out a small, humanlike, form in the dark. It moves forward slowly until it is at the very edge of the camp and the3n takes off its hat to step forwad.

"Pardon me, lady, but I heard your song," he says with his eyes locked on the giant dog, "And if I may, I would ask a favor."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 am

Rosamund slowly sits up, her off-hand finding and gripping the sword beneath her cloak. She tries her best to let her eyes adjust to the low light, although she is fairly confident she knows this creature for a Nuton.

"Who are you, and what would you ask of me?"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:41 am

With a step a tiny man, no more than half the height of a sword, moves into the clearing.

"I am called Anskar, milady, and I am a smith," the Nuton man says. "My family lives but a bowshot from this glade and we are friends of the woodsmen here. I sharpen their axes for the perishables they provide but lately they have stopped coming and I fear my wee boy will not make it through the winter even if me and the wife go hungry."

Seeing her waiting gaze for a real answer he goes on.

"They have been sacred off methinks, by the troupe of kobolds up river who steal their rations and menace lone folks. Please, can you spare a hock of ham, or a butt of beef so that my boy can grow to a man?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:56 am

She relaxes her grip slightly, and holds her head up higher.

"Gentle Anskar, all of my victuals here with me are yours to take. Moreover, I shall treat with the kobolds or else see them off, if you will grant me a boon in return."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:59 am

"Thank you, Sir Wulfram, you are most hospitable." Renier listens to him talk about this and that for a while, before interjecting where possible, "So, this wolf. Must be bad business for you, no? We're going to hunt for him tomorrow. ^^ Anything you could tell us would be appreciated."

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:00 am

Rosamund
"Of course," Anskar replies, "How can I serve?"

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 am

She smiles, although she doesn't know how well he can see her. "My name is Rosamund of Savoy, I seek the infamous blue-eyed wolf and their pack, which has savaged the flocks of men for many a league hence. I ask knowledge of not only their whereabouts, but also their nature. If you cannot satisfy these queries, I ask you deliver me to one who can."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:13 am

Hecate continues to watch, ears twitching, at the ready.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby roobeastie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:33 am

Rosamund
A flicker of concern crosses Anskar's face at the mention of the information the knight seeks, though he quickly masks it with a nod. "That kind of information would not be mine to give, at least not in a reliable fashion. There is one within my village who could answer any questions you might have. I would, of course, need to entreat with him, and show proof that you and yours mean us no ill will..."

His words come out softly, the need for the food she offered fierce, but not enough for him to risk that she won't carry out her end of the bargain. "I can tell you that the one you seek isn't far, that we suspect there is a connection between the wolf and the recent increase in kobold shenanigans, if that helps."

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 am

She casts her cloak off and rises to her feet, throwing it around her shoulders. She keeps her sword by her side, non-threateningly, and walks over to her horse. She takes all the food in the saddlebag, some bread, cheese, salted meat, and nuts, and goes to Anskar, kneeling closer to his level and handing it to him. "Lead the way."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:02 am

Rosa and the Nuton

Anskar nods and hops easily up into a tree then leaps from branch to branch, stopping only to make sure he is being followed, until he reaches the largest of the outcrops.

"Wait here and I will announce you," he says before dashing into a crack in the stone.

Its nearly half an hour before Anskar returns and all the while Rosa can feel eyes on her. Presumably from nutons curious as to why she has come. They don't reveal themselves even if called to.

Eventually Anskar returns and invites Rosa inside through a small door hidden in the recess of the rock. Its large by nuton standards which means she can fit through so long as she crawls. Renier would never fit nor will Hecate.

Luckily the passage is only a few feet long before it opens into a large (again, for nutons) chamber that resembles a lord's hall if you squint at it. It has seats and a hearth and a raised area where the elder, his wife and several advisers and guards are seated.

They all wear rough, well-made clothes with sturdy belts and appropriately sized knives. Those with actual weapons carry cudgels and there are plenty of loose stones about which Rosa knows nutons are quite skilled at hurling with their tremendous strength.

Once Rosamund is inside and can sit up the elder stands up to greet her. He looks no older than Anskar or others but his beard is a bit longer.

"Welcome, lady, it's been an age since we've had a visitor of your stature.I'd normally offer you a bit of meat and cheese but as you know I'd just be handing you back what you've brought. Times are lean here without the foresters' help."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:21 am

Rosamund sits upright on her knees in an effort to conserve lateral space, her hands folded on her lap.

"I am honored by your hospitality as it is sire-" she bows her head and absentmindedly bumps her head on the rock ceiling on the way back up, wincing and grunting. "-And I am glad to be an any help that I can. I understand that you are troubled by a pack of kobolds, and I am inclined to help you, but I also understand that you have knowledge of that which I seek; the blue-eyed wolf. I think we may be able to help each other."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:33 am

Renier
It doesn't surprise the elderly knight to hear that Sir Renier and his contingent intend on hunting the wolf, considering how widespread the damage from the creature had been. He thinks for a few moments before answering, beckoning his daughter over and asking her to bring him a map. Once the map is unfurled before him, he points to a small hamlet northwest of Esneux. "That is where the most recent of attacks took place, at least according to the latest reports. I would make your way there and ask the villagers what they remember."

He nods slightly, a smile curling his lips. "After a good nights rest, of course."

Rosamund
While Anskar had explained the situation to the elder, he felt it was nice of Sir Rosamund to state her intentions as well. "Yes, yes, the blue-eyed wolf... he is a menace indeed. He and his have been making things difficult for our friends in the villages, affecting the hunters and woodsmen so they come less frequently to trade with us. It's sad, it is, as we rely on their goods to help keep us fed, and they rely on our craftsmanship to help keep their axes sharp."

He pauses, taking a moment to size her up. "You say you can help with the kobold situation? Nasty creatures, always stealing our tools and bothering our friends. If you can recover some of our tools from the kobolds, and help get them to go elsewhere for their mischief, then I will tell you everything I know of the wolf."

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext