PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Baeraad » Sun May 05, 2019 10:45 am

Ragnar's Axe: 1d20 = 6 vs 15.
Wolfknight's Bite: 1d20 = 12 vs 15.

Partial success for the wolfknight. Damage: 5d6 = 22.

Are we wearing armour, sneaking around in the woods? If so, the damage is 6 and I'm down to 21 HP. Otherwise, it's 16 and a major wound, and my HP is a far more dire 11. Aoch.

Checking for knockdown: 1d20 = 13 vs DEX 10. ... aaaand I fall over. Crap, I'm gonna get eaten by wolves. :shock:
  • 1

Baeraad
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 am

Baeraad wrote:Ragnar's Axe: 1d20 = 6 vs 15.
Wolfknight's Bite: 1d20 = 12 vs 15.

Partial success for the wolfknight. Damage: 5d6 = 22.

Are we wearing armour, sneaking around in the woods? If so, the damage is 6 and I'm down to 21 HP. Otherwise, it's 16 and a major wound, and my HP is a far more dire 11. Aoch.

Checking for knockdown: 1d20 = 13 vs DEX 10. ... aaaand I fall over. Crap, I'm gonna get eaten by wolves. :shock:


You have your gambesons I suppose which are worth 3 armor and you have shields. However my houserules change how you determine who wins. You always want to roll low in this version so we count greatest difference between roll and skill.

Which means you win that roll and since Ragnar's damage is also 5d6 I'll keep that roll. This gives the Wolfknight a major wound.

rolls he stays on his feet, resists passing out from the major wound and fails Valorous so he will be fleeing into the woods.
  • 2

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby WaitingCynicism » Tue May 07, 2019 2:10 am

"Let us follow him!" Coenwulf cries.
  • 1

WaitingCynicism
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Ladki96 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:02 am

"I think we have a more *ouch* pressing matter here coz!" Renier shouts as he faces off the big bad wolf.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: India
Show rep
Title: =)

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby roobeastie » Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Rosamund

"Why, to make my presence known to you, of course." The man smiles as he draws his hand back to his side, studying the knight before him. "Is has been far too long since I've had any visitors. Tell me, fair knight, how did you end up here?"
  • 3

User avatar
roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 am

Rosamund relaxes a little. As there doesn't seem to be an immediate physical threat, her most pressing concern seems to be alleviating her fathomless curiosity. To that end, she can't think of a reason not to deal with the mysterious man honestly. Still, she doesn't trust his eyes or his smile. She tries to keep a confident businesslike demeanor. "I am out on an errand for my lord, the Duke of Bastogne; there's been a spate of enchanted wolves causing trouble in the area. The Nutons promised me information in exchange for a favor, the fulfillment of which obliges me to drive a band of kobolds from the Nutons' woods and retrieve from them their stolen tools. As for how I ended up here, I must confess that I'm not entirely sure where that is. How far are we from Esneux?...and what was that you said about my mother?"
  • 2

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 am
Location: Virginia
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby CarrieVS » Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 am

Rashad rounds a bend just in time to see the monster swipe savagely at Adele with its claws. There is already blood on his cousin's clothing, but none on her sword, and her shield lies useless on the ground, but she stands undeterred against her gigantic foe. She raises her shield arm instinctively against the blow, and it rakes her forearm. A helpless woman cowers on the ground close by: Rashad scarcely notices that it is Ermeline and not Giselle.

It sees him, and for an instant he falters in his headlong dash as it roars a challenge. But he steels himself, and manages to raise his shield as he charges at the beast. It all but flings him clean off his feet, but somehow he manages to stay upright. It appears to think him dealt with, since it turns back to Adele, allowing him to land as fair a blow as he well may on its thick hide - yet it inflicts little more than a scratch. But it looks back towards him, and Adele finds an opening to draw blood as well.

Rashad sees that he has little chance of hurting it much, but he continues to do his best to distract it from his taller and stronger cousin, while trying and failing to dodge the wicked claws. The tactic does allow Adele to strike home again, but does him less good; at least his shield protects him this time, but it is badly dented and he casts it aside, calling for his squire Henri, who exchanges his own.

Hurried footsteps approach from the direction of the fight with the jewel knight, but there is no time to look around. The bloodied monster gouges Rashad again, not quite so badly as the first time but he is beginning to feel the effects of blood loss. But Adele's blade bites deep into its side.

It shrieks in agony and as a third knight arrives on the scene with drawn blade it turns to flee, but stumbles. Adele and Rashad both throw themselves upon it, and both strike true. Shadi doesn't even get a chance to join combat with the thing, as between her two cousins their foe is stretched upon the ground in its death throes by the time she reaches it.

"Is that... the Lady Giselle's dress?" she asks.

It is, or what's left of it, torn and stretched around the monster's frame, and her jewels too. Adele explains, "She found me, and I was bringing her - and Lady Ermeline, who was also abroad - to join you three again. I turned my back, and she was gone and ... that thing was there." It's not hard to connect the facts.

Adele goes to Ermeline and helps her to her feet. "We should take the ladies back to the camp, and tend our wounds. Where's Dagobert?" Remembering the sound of combat she had been following, she looks suddenly concerned.

"I couldn't get him to stop stating at that green gem," Shadi says. "We found the robber knight, by chance, and defeated him, but Dagobert picked up the jewel from his shield and now neither of them will move or answer anyone. Perhaps he'll listen to you, my lady," she says to Ermeline.
  • 4

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby roobeastie » Thu May 09, 2019 1:10 am

In the Comfort of Shadows

The man notices some of the tension fading from the knight. His smile widens as he listens patiently, wondering if she was unaware of her true location. "That is quite the story, young one. Were you able to succeed in fulfilling your end of the bargain with the Nutons?" He knew something of the enchanted wolves, although she hadn't asked him for any information so he had no plans on volunteering it. "You are not far from Esneux at all... although getting back there may not be easy. You've somehow stumbled into my realm, you see." He waited a beat to see if she understood. "As for your mother, she once made my acquaintance as well, and asked for a certain favor."
  • 3

User avatar
roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu May 09, 2019 5:41 am

Though mildly surprised, Rosamund doesn't skip a beat. If this is his realm, and she wants a better handle of the situation, she needs to get him talking about himself. "Not entirely, I drove the kobolds off and tracked the survivors back here. I've still yet to return, or even discover, the missing tools. But I think I'm getting ahead of myself. You say this is your realm" she makes a show of looking around the darkness. "I like what you've done with the place. But who exactly are you? I'm afraid it seems you have me at a disadvantage."
  • 2

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 am
Location: Virginia
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Wed May 15, 2019 1:03 am

The Clearing with the Jewel

Returning in force to the clearing they find the Jewel knight where they left him, but no sight of Sir Dagobert nor his squire.

None of this matters to the Jewel Knight. He remains where he was, injured and dismayed on the earth, but something is different about his appearance. When they fought he was a titan among men, fierce and swift, as any warrior in the prime of his life. But now,wearing his rent armor and clutching the shards of his shattered shield is a man whose hair is almost white, with deep wrinkles and a face narrowed by decades. He would hardly be recognizable to anyone anymore.

Slowly the party approaches. The knights remain alert with drawn swords between the enemy and Lady Ermeline, but the defeated knight pays them no heed.

This is when Ermeline notices that Sir Dagobert is missing and gasps, "Where is my champion," she says, casting her gaze about, "Where is Sir Dagobert?"

The answer seems obvious to the knights as there is but one path leading away from the clearing that would take them north by northeast into the deep woods. But there is no time to say that, nor console the girl. At the sound of her voice the Jewel Knight lifts his haggard head and rasps in a withered voice,

"Lina, my darling, is that you."

Unaccustomed to hearing her girlhood moniker spoken by a stranger Ermeline turns an irritated gaze at the man, "Mind your ton..." she snaps before something catches her voice in her throat.

Without further hesitation she rushes and kneels in the dirt beside the old man, clutching his hands, "Father, father... how? What... where have you been? I..." she trails off, unable to contain her shock.

Leufroy in the Cave

At first the brute seems to ignore the young cleric but soon it looks up and its eyes begin to widen at the implications of the tale. As it does Gisele's maid becomes more and more agitated. She whispers for Leufroy to stop, that he will only enrage the heathen beast, until, at last, her fear takes hold and she screams and flees for the entrance.

One would expect the ogre to stop her but by this point, he is spellbound by Leufroy and cannot pull himself away from the sermon, nor even seem to notice the terrified woman. And he remains calm until the very end when Leufroy reaches out his hand in an offer of Christian fellowship.

The ogre reaches back, and then, at the barest touch, his eyes alight with newfound understanding. The great brute shivers and trembles as the meaning of all the deeds of his primitive, wicked life floods him in a moment of providential truth. Shaking and tearing at his hair and fur clothes he lurches upright and strikes his head upon the ceiling.

Dazed, he stumbles for the entrance and unleashes a howl of agony and remorse before he too flees into the night.
  • 3

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby roobeastie » Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Rosamund

Amused at her answer, the man laughs, a near hissing sound in the darkness. "Lovely knight, I feel this has been a good conversation. We've made one anothers' acquaintance, exchanged pleasantries, but now I feel it's time you take your leave."

Faintly, from the entrance to the cave, Sir Rosamund can hear the sounds of a battle nearby. "Your companions have need of you more than I do. Be with them." And with that, he turns away from her, blending in with the shadows.
  • 3

User avatar
roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby panda1594 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:22 am

Noticing that Rashad has been injured, figuring that they may have a little while before going to look for Dagobert. Staying as alert as she can, Adele preforms first aid on her cousin.

Looking to Lady Ermeline, and her father. Adele offers to help the Lady in first aid with the Lady's father.

First aid (16) first wound 4. Heal for 1
Second wound 11. Heal for 2
  • 3

Last edited by panda1594 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panda1594
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 1:48 am
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri May 31, 2019 1:19 am

Her friends. That's what this whole excursion was about. As plagued as she is by her curiosity, the din of battle rouses her to set it aside for the time being. She curtly curtsies at the darkness, draws her sword and rushes out of the cave to take all comers.
  • 3

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 am
Location: Virginia
Show rep

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Ladki96 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 pm

The knights and their squires are on the wolves before half of them can react. Renier goes for the largest one, dark as hell with shining yellow eyes. The black dog. He strikes at a vital point and Ulfgar howls in rage. Ragnar deals as deep a blow to a wolfknight, sending him running into the forest. Coenwulf's foe is however much more alert and bites his leg, making him fall down. The squires do not fare much better, with only one successfully hitting a wolf-at-arms and another knocked unconscious.

The rest of the beasts join in a minute later and Renier loses sight of Ragnar and the poor squires as he is beset upon by two smaller wolves. He lays them out with ease but the distraction costs him. Ulfgar attacks from his blind side. Renier's arm starts bleeding freely but he grimly holds on. Coenwulf gets up with a renewed sense of purpose and attacks his enemies ferociously, his blows staggering them.

The giant and the mini-lord circle around each other. "You monster!" Renier lifts his axe but the wound slows him down, precious seconds in which Ulfgar is upon him and he is on his back, a sharp pain in his chest. He stares into those haunted yellow eyes above him, and blacks out. The British knight kills a wolfknight and a soldier. The big bad wolf snarls and runs off, and what's left of the pack follow him.

Coenwulf tries rousing the nearby squire to no avail. A shout from Ragnar makes him look up. Renier! He sets about cleaning his chest and wrapping his arm. His cousin wakes up after some minutes with a gasp, and sits up. "What - where - Coenwulf, you're bleeding!" Renier tends to his leg.

Insert narrator looking at Discord logs and pinching her eyes here
sigh.png
sigh.png (98.13 KiB) Viewed 475 times

"He's gone, coz," Coenwulf shakes his head. "Along with his retinue."

Renier looks up in dismay. "Ulfgar? We should go after him!"

"We can't chase after some beasts in a dark forest. They will probably find us first if anything," Ragnar says.

"So we let him get away. Just like that!" cries Renier. He strikes the ground. "After Sir Egier has trusted us to deal with the Wolf Knight! God, we had him in our grasp, I had him but - I failed..." he buries his head in his arms, and Lads tries to remember why she insisted on rolling Honour passion. Something about a stupid +5? Kill me now.

Coenwulf and Ragnar look at each other awkwardly. "Well, at least none of us died. Perhaps we should-"

The bushes rustle then and they all tense up. No wolves run out, only a dog as big as a pony. She barks and wags her tail when she sees them, and a moment later, an armed knight comes up behind, panting. "There you are!" She then sees the wounds on her cousins, the track marks of the fleeing beasts and the dead wolves - bare men now, with their swords and armour lying beside them. "I... don't suppose one of them is our wolfknight?"

Renier looks away but Coenwulf stands up. "Rosamund! Where have you been?!"

Rosamund shakes her head. "That's a long story."

"Another time, then. As long as you're both here and fine," Ragnar says. "Should we go back to the castle now?"

"No," Renier says quietly. He stands up. "There's no point in going back there right now. I want to know more about Ulfgar, about his mother. I suspect Father Aigulf knows more than he wished to tell some outsiders."

"We could use some healing prayers," Coenwulf nods.

And so the knights walk on through the night to Esneux, intent on finding some answers. Coenwulf and Ragnar bring Rosamund (and Hecate) up to speed on the quest, and Rosamund can tell them about her magical time, if she wishes ^^

Stats
Round 1
Renier Honour: 18 vs. 13 fail (Melancholy)
Renier Axe: 2 vs. 18 success
Ulfgar Bite: 18 vs. 20
Ulfgar: 23-10=13 damage (Major Wound; Valour success, HP roll (20) unnecessary)

Ragnar Axe: 6 vs. 15 success
Wolfknight 1 Bite: 12 vs. 15
Wolfknight: 22-6=16 damage (Major Wound; Valour fail, flees)

Coenwulf Sword: 19 vs. 19
Wolfknight 2: 10 vs. 15 success
Coenwulf: 20-9=11 damage (Major Wound; Valour success, Dex fail, HP crit (no stat loss), knockdown)

Squire 1, 2, 3 Swords: 15, 10 (success), 10
Wolf-at-Arms 1, 2, 3 Bites: 4 (success), 15, 1 (crit)
Squire 1: 12-9=3 damage (Knockdown)
Wolf 2: 14-4=10 damage (Dex success)
Squire 3: 24-9=15 damage (Major wound; Valour success, Dex fail, HP fail, unconscious)

Round 2
Ragnar, Squires: automatic

Renier Axe: 18, 7 (success), 6 (success) vs. 13
Ulgar, Wolf 4, Wolf 5 Bites: 8 vs. 20 (success), 8, 9 vs. 12
Renier: 25-9=16 (Major Wound; Valour success, HP roll (22) unnecessary)
Wolf 4: 23-4=19 (Unconscious threshold)
Wolf 5: 25-4 = 21 (Unconscious threshold)

Coenwulf Honour: 5 vs. 14 success
Coenwulf Sword: 2, 2 vs. 19 successes
Wolfknight 2, Wolf 6 Bites: 15 vs. 15, 19 vs. 12
Wolfknight 2: 15-6=9 (Dex success)
Wolf 6: 14-4=10 (Dex success)

Round 3
Coenwulf Sword:12, 7 vs. 19 successes
Wolfknight 2, Wolf 6 Bites: 20 vs. 15, 3 vs. 12
Wolfknight 2: 22-6=16 (Unconscious threshold)
Wolf 6: 17-4=13 (Dead)

Renier Axe: 7 vs. 23
Ulfgar Bite: 3 vs. 20 success
Renier: 23-9= 14 (Unconscious threshold)

Coenwulf First Aid
Squire 3: 19 vs. 16 fail
Renier wound 1: 1 vs. 16 crit (2+3=5 HP)
Renier wound 2: 2 vs. 16 success (1 HP)

Renier First Aid
Squire 3: 11 vs. 18 success (3 HP)
Coenwulf: 1 vs. 18 crit (2+3=5 HP)
  • 1

Last edited by Ladki96 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm
Location: India
Show rep
Title: =)

Re: PALADIN 786: The Wolf and The Robber Knight

Postby Scarik » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 am

A Chance Meeting

The forest is deep and dark but Rev. Leufroy trusts in God and Saint Christopher to guide him. And so it is that dawn comes to find him enter a clearing beneath a hill with a small pond. Atop the hillock he spies a familiar, if unexpected form. It is Sir Dagobert, disheveled and unkempt from his midnight tour of the wood.

His frantic squire leaps up at the sight of the cleric.

"Reverend! God be praised," he crosses himself and points up the hill, "Sir has been enspelled by that cursed stone and refuses all suggestions to leave this forest."
  • 3

User avatar
Scarik
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm
Location: Braintree, MA
Show rep

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest