[Pendragon Side-Quest] - 487, On Cymric Neck a Saxon Yolk

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

[Pendragon Side-Quest] - 487, On Cymric Neck a Saxon Yolk

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 am

It has been three full weeks since the raids, summer is in full bloom, Eliver is home at his manor of Woodford, and he can finally remove the last of his bandages. He has resolved to venture into Saxon country to find his sister Sir Elaine, last he saw her fighting in a heathen shield-wall in wolfish garb. He needs to decide on everything before he leaves, what to wear, what weapons to bring, how many horses, how much money, what provisions. He must bring his sister's sword, he's quite sure of that. It's a beautiful weapon in it's own savage way, well-tempered blade a little shorter than Eliver is used to, and the hilt all carved and engraved from one piece of oak. That he must bring, to return to its rightful owner. He must also decide who to bring with him. Traveling alone would arouse the least suspicion, traveling with a friend or two might arouse the least avarice. Whoever else he brings, he does not know the land and does not know the language, so he will have to procure a guide. He ought to find one in the traveller's inn of Sarum, the "Fool's Nest", if he will find one anywhere.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Re: [Pendragon Side-Quest] - 487, On Cymric Neck a Saxon Yol

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:27 am

Eliver has let it be generally known at home that he means to set out into what now has to be considered Saxon country to look for Sir Elaine - as indeed he had intended to since the winter. He told Sir Anwen and Sir Crispin the whole truth, of course, when he returned to Salisbury, but the fewer people who know the circumstances under which he last saw his sister, the better.

He and Miles set off one morning for Sarum, and he's familiar enough with the town to make the Fool's Nest his first port of call. He calls for wine, and when he's served he stops the bartender before he can turn away to tend to another customer's demand.

"We mean to travel into Saxon country soon. Would you be able to find out," he reaches into his purse and puts down a gold solidus, "if any of your patrons know that land, and might be willing to let us hire them as a guide?"

Last edited by CarrieVS on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:45 am

The man wipes a greasy hand on his apron before taking the gold with a bow of his head, pocketing it, rubbing his nose and leaning a hand on the table, leaning in conspiratorially. "Saxon country ya say? Now that you mention it, I think a know a fella. Saxon fella. Traveller. Been all the way from Denmark to Rome to Ireland and back. Calls himself Leogan." He points to a hooded man with his back against a dark corner, nursing a tankard, his legs crossed and outstretched, well-worn boots on another stool, a sword hilt peaking out of his cloak. "Shall I make the introductions, Sire?"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 am

Eliver nods, "Please do. I'm Sir Eliver and this is Sir Miles."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am

In a few moments, they are seated opposite the traveler, who has taken the courtesy of lowering his hood. He is a ruggedly handsome man of about thirty years, with green eyes, and messy hair of a color somewhere between light brown and dark blond. He sits casually, one leg crossed over the other knee and reclining back, at all times keeping his one hand busy holding his tankard, occasionally drinking but never once setting it down, the other resting on the hilt of his sword. He speaks British better than the barman did, although with a noticeable accent.

He addresses Eliver, assuming him to be in charge. "I'm told that you have need of a guide through Saxon country. Which of the kingdoms are you passing through, and what is your business there? Sight-seeing? Revenge? True love?"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:13 pm

"Essex, at least so we think," Eliver says with customary frankness, "and to search for a knight who was in Caercolun before it became Saxon country. Revenge may come into it if we find someone who has done her harm, but," he hesitates, how much to say? Not too much, having just met this stranger, "I've had some word of where we might find her, and reason to hope she is alive and well." Assuming he hadn't killed her at Camulodunum.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:15 pm

He smiles. "A love of sorts, then? Your quest is noble, I will help you. I'm sure by your looks that you can both handle yourselves, but if you want to avoid trouble in the first place you should keep your armor under plain clothes, and pass for commoners" he pulls down the hem of his tunic to reveal the steel rings hidden beneath. "When are you planning to depart?"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 am

"Well you talk sense, I see," Eliver replies. "We had no intention of fighting our way right across Saxon country - not this time at least. I'd like to leave as soon as possible - a day or two perhaps, to make preparations. I see no reason not to hire him, do you Miles?"

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am

Miles considers the man and nods. This man is probably more than he appears, but he doubts that he will be much danger to the two of them together.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Two days later, in the morning, they meet Leogan at the Eagles' gate in plain clothes, riding common sumpters. They find him with his hood up as usual, gazing up at the Castle of the Rock enigmatically. All things prepared, they depart the city riding east, camping under the stars. Along the way, Leogan waxes philosophical about the land and it's history, speaking of the Trojan kings of Britain and the stone henges left by the sun worshipers and giants. He himself is Half-Briton he explains, but fled as a child after the overthrow of King Vortigern. When they reach Winchester that evening, he is saddened by the decrepit state of the old city. It had been the great seat of the Gewessi since the time of the ancients, as Sarum had and has been of the Belgae. Vortigern had been their last Duke, and Winchester had been the last stronghold of his followers and his Saxon allies, and was nearly destroyed for its trouble. It's now barely more than a town, surrounded by rock-strewn fields and enclosed by the ruined old walls. The only part of it in good shape is the castle itself, repaired and maintained by some distant Baron. Still, he remarks, it has it's potential. It could yet be the court of a great king.

There is no good way of avoiding riding through Silchester the next day. They must decide how cautiously they wish to do so, bearing in mind their enemies. Salisbury knights are not well liked by Silchester patrols, especially those with specific grudges, and armed vagabonds who refuse to identify themselves are even less well liked. They can choose to be stealthy, to be careful, or to be reckless.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:07 am

The first part of the journey is rather pleasant. Their guide turns out to be rather good company, and very knowledgeable. And of course there's no-one Eliver would rather spend time with than Miles. They make good time. And reach Silchester.

There would be no sense in travelling incognito only to charge through without caring how much attention they attract, just because their enemies here aren't Saxons. But Eliver chafes at the thought of creeping stealthily around, taking twice as long as they ought. It's one thing to avoid asking for trouble, quite another to go about as though afraid of meeting any.

He consults his companions and they agree: they must take care, up to a point.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:10 am

"Careful? Of course we'll be careful!" says Miles, loudly.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 am

They follow the common dirt tracks and hunting trails, skirting by villages as they have to but steering clear of castles and towns. It's a slow-going affair, zig-zagging across the countryside, and they are seen by more than enough people to get the sense that word of their presence is probably working it's way to the nearest garrisons. They seem to be riding faster than word of mouth however, and for four days ride pass unmolested. On the fifth, their luck runs out. They can hear the baying of hounds behind them some distance off. A patrol is on their tail. Their horses won't be fast enough to outrun them very far.

As they approach, they appear to be three knights. Miles, Eliver and Leogan have their backs to a wood. They could try to loose them in the trees, try to talk to the patrol and ask to be taken to their lord, or they can attack immediately. Leogan, for his part, looks ready for a fight. He lowers his hood and puts his hand to his sword hilt. "If we double back and rush up close to attack now, we can rob them the advantage of their lances." he advises.

Suggested Trait Rolls:

Just to clarify off the bat, this is optional:

Trusting (talk to them) / Suspicious (either fight or flee into the woods)
Energetic (fight them or flee) / Lazy (talk to them)
Valorous (fight them, for glory!) / Cowardly (Run AWAAAAY!)

Secondary Trait roll: Reckless (take immediate action without thinking or planning) / Prudent (briefly confer with the other PK about it).

You can only roll 1 of the first 3. You each have a directed trait of "Distrust (Silchester Knights)" of 10, giving Suspicious, and Energetic a +10 modifier.

On the other hand, you are wearing inferior armor (chain byrnies under your traveling clothes) and riding inferior horses (sumpters), facing fully kitted out knights, so you have a +5 to Prudent and Cowardly.

Eliver's traits by it are: Energetic 26, Suspicious 19, Valorous 10, Prudent 15
Miles' are: Energetic 23, Suspicious 20, Valorous 10, Prudent 15

You're more or less just deciding which you want the checkmark in.

Remember that succeeding a trait does not mean that you have to immediately act in accordance with it, unless you roll a critical or a fumble, it simply indicates your split second gut inclination.

If you act in accordance with the trait that succeeded, you will gain glory equal to that trait, and the trait will be checkmarked.

Eliver may also roll Love (Family), since this patrol is a hindrance to the rescue of his sister.

Final note, critting a trait gives you minor inspiration, same as if you'd succeeded a passion. So you're incentivized to roll your highest trait if it exceeds 20.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 am

Eliver has distinct misgivings about this fight. At best, it will only slow them down when they need to be away from Silchester as soon as they can, and though they're equal in number the three other knights are distinctly at an advantage.

But he resists the urge to run. What sort of knight would he be if he fled the first fight that didn't offer him the advantage? And if Leogan isn't afraid, he must not show fear. He turns his mount to face the enemy and reaches for his sword.

"I'm for it. Miles, are you with us?"

How dare these dogs try to stop him now. He cannot let them stop him from finding Elaine.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 am

They about face and charge headlong into the pursuing patrol, catching them unawares. Within a few moments, all three of the patrolling knights has been smote. Miles ties his foe to a tree. Eliver tends to his foe's wounds, but alas he dies. Leogan takes his foe prisoner. The next day, they arrive in Londinium and sell their loot, Leogan takes his prisoner to the Jewish quarter to have his ransom brokered. The day after that, they set out for Essex.

Loot gained: 15 Libra each

Checkmarks gained

Eliver: Sword, Merciful, Love (Family), First Aid

Miles: Spear

Glory gained: 63 each

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Next