[Pendragon RP] 487 Adventure - "Sword of Victory"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 487 Adventure - "Sword of Victory"

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 am

She takes his arm but only to get up to her knees to whisper to him, speaking a mile a minute. "There isn't any time to explain, if they don't see you kill me someone else will. Stab me. Pick up your sword, stab me, and pilfer my weapons and armor. I will lie still until you've gone. Find me at Eleachstead and we will talk, brother, I promise, but stab me, do it NOW!".

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 am

"But you're my prisoner, I'll protect you. I'll explain, you can..." The panic in her eyes is real, it's no good trying to persuade her. And she may well be right - the rest of the army are already returning to the boats, and no prisoners have been allowed to be taken during the campaign. Explaining that she is a Cymric knight, fighting with the most hated of their enemies, may do her cause more harm than good.

Eliver tries to make a convincing pretence of holding her still and striking as though he intends to slay her, while in truth he is seeking to avoid a dangerous wound. He seems to have succeeded - the cut bleeds messily but is not deep. Elaine plays her part well with a shriek, and a limp fall backwards.

He strips her of her weapons as she told him, and tries to be gentle without looking so as he takes off her mail - lest someone see her still clad in it and come to finish the job. She lies almost perfectly still - he has not made a mistake? Please God let her be truly acting. She is, she's breathing easily. Her blood is smeared on his hands now.

He makes a show of searching her for valuables, and privately takes her hand, concealed between his body and hers, and whispers, "Be strong, sister. I'll find you at Eleachstead."

Where is Eleachstead? It sounds a Saxon word - the place is in country the invaders hold, no doubt. How soon will Elaine expect him there? There is no chance to ask. He must get back to the ships. He is half in a daze as he crosses the beach, awkwardly carrying the bundle of gear he has taken from Elaine.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 am

Miles watches his returning comrades anxiously. Most of them seem little the worse for wear, except for Terwynn, who is carried in unconscious. He takes a moment to confirm that she is alive, but quickly goes back to watching the beach. Eliver is late, and his heart feels like lead.

Then he spots him, one of the lastcomers. There isn't a scratch on him, but he looks pale and shaken.

Miles pushes forward through the crowd of returning fighters. "Eliver? Are you all right?"

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Miles is there, full of concern.

"I'm not hurt. She did me no harm." He's sure he left himself open, at one moment during the fight, to a lethal thrust, but Elaine did no more than parry his blow.

Of course, she must have recognised the sleeping griffin whether or not she saw his face. Yet still, how could he not know his own sister? She shouted to him, why hadn't he heard her? Now she lies bleeding on the beach, perhaps in as much danger from the Saxons if they suspect why she was spared as from the Cymric army.

He longs to tell Miles everything, but not here, not now, in this crowd. It must not be overheard by the world. He forces a smile, "I'm fine, and better for seeing you. I'll tell you about it later: what of the rest of our friends? I've not seen anyone but you yet-"

He remembers what was driven entirely out of his mind by the discovery of his sister, and grabs suddenly at Miles' arm, "Terrwyn - have you seen her? She ran off like a madwoman and was surrounded, I didn't see what happened. Is she safe?"

Later, aboard the ship, Eliver has a chance to talk to Miles: hardly in privacy, but at least not in a press of excited bodies. Speaking quietly, he confides everything, including his intention to go to Eleachstead as soon as he's released from service, "Wherever that is. I suppose it must be some farm in Essex. I don't know how I shall find it, but I must. I can't believe Elaine would just turn against her own: there has to be more to it, I have to find out."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Miles listens, his eyes wide with horror. A Cymric knight, fighting among the Saxons? Still, it's Eliver's sister. Maybe - just maybe - there is some honourable reason for it.

"You're not going alone," he says firmly.

Seeing Eliver's face, Miles longs to pull him into his arms, but this place is far too public for that.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 pm

As soon as his wounds are treated and the rush of battle starts to fade, Leiryn sluggishly makes his way back to the ceorl he wounded and prepares to finish him off.

If he is truly awake, then the world seems to have simply absorbed his dreams. He can scarcely believe that he not only just participated in a massive oceanic raid against the Saxons -- a raid that Arcadia would have sacrificed the unburnt parts of her face to be at the forefront of -- but that he made a measurable difference in it. Put right after his mistress's death and Carys's birth, it is all too surreal for him to fully grasp. Some small part of him keeps waiting to be woken up and told that all of this madness has been a nightmare, that he is still a humble squire trailing along a savage but glorious knight, and it was she who crawled into his bed instead of the entity that would murder her.

Some small part keeps waiting for things to make sense again.

Before he realizes it, he's standing over the ceorl and his blade is already drawn. His vision starts to blur as he stares down at the Saxon scum and he feels a strange pull he cannot wrap his mind around, but he just stabs down until he sees blood on the sand. And then keeps stabbing, just a few more times. He feels like he can barely stand. The sword grounds him. Balances him.

Are you watching, Arcadia? Is this what you would have done? What would your trophy be? Are you even here? Are you back home, watching over our daughter, our CHILD-

Leiryn blinks, shivers, and suddenly feels very ill and very stupid.

When he withdraws and heads back toward his comrades, he barely recalls what just happened.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby KryingKraken » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 am

Elspeth pants heavily as she rests against her sword, which is by now gently embedded into the ground. She had worked so hard to fulfill her role in this fight, and yet, as the dust from the battle begins to settle... She feels a bit overwhelmed.

Glancing down at the wounded warrior beside her, she pauses momentarily. As despicable as Saxons were, and despite the expected hate she felt for them, something about this situation rubs her the wrong way. Naturally it was her job to kill them. But really, at the end of the day, this bastard Saxon most likely had a family, and bonds with their comrades.

A pit settles in Elspeth's gut: that's it. Comrades. Companions. Of course, she knew of her fellow knights and their admirable achievements and glorious reputations. But who was she in all of this? Before she allows herself to spiral into this train of thought, she swiftly wrenches her sword from the earth and plunges it into wounded warrior's chest. Better to finish her job and get this whole ordeal over with than to linger on her weaknesses.

As she cleans both her blade and her mind, she glances once more over the battlefield before turning her back and approaching the other knights. She makes note of one who is not looking quite well; if her memory served her correctly, he was the one who punched a ceorl's lights out. Perhaps this battle was not too kind to him. She parts her lips as if she was going to say something, but quickly decides not to; t would be best to let everyone have a moment to recover.

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 am

Lincoln

After Sir Corneus' surgeon has seen to their wounds, he hastily goes to the rescue of the duke's men. He works nimbly and expertly, by his complexion and accent Persidius take him for an Asturian. Two of them were beyond even his art, the first, the tall brazen knight who tried to arrest them, lying white in a pool of his own blood from Persidius' hack to the neck, the other impaled by Bleddyn's lance and trampled beyond human semblance by the hooves of his destier. The Dead are wrapped in tentcloth, and slung over the horses. The living are bound head and foot, and lashed to their saddles upright but facing backwards. Sir Corneus and his son watch on in mild contempt. He washes up and puts on a different change of clothes, a rare luxury indeed, before they depart. The Squires are fully occupied leading the looted corpses from the Southwood all the way back to Lincoln.

They enter the castle though the postern gate, to avoid being gawked at by riding through the town. Sir Roderick happened to be taking a walk through the bailey, enjoying the sunny april day with a glass of wine, when Bleddyn, Persidius, the Duke of Lindsey, and eight captive knights, two of which wrapped in shrouds and slumped over sideways, the other six half naked and lashed on backwards, the goblet falls from his fingers and his jaw hangs open.

The Raids

As they board the ships, one sailor asks another "What day's it today? I've lost track."
"Sunday" he replies. The sun stands directly overhead.

Everyone receives their week's natural healing.

Miles is at 21 HP
Terwynn is at 9 HP, and regains a woozy and precarious consciousness later that day.
Leiryn is now back at full HP, finding the next morning that his hands are completely healed and he has no need of the bandages.

The next and final target of the campaign is the tribe of Nohaut, established by the sons of Hengest, far to the north. However, it is decided that the fleet could do well to rest and resupply at the city of Venta (modern Yarmouth). It is one of the largest in Britain, tied with Glevum and smaller only than Londinium, with nearly 10,000 inhabitants. It's docks already brim with fishing and merchant vessels when Madoc's warships make port.

The city boasts great roman walls, the county Castle embedded embedded in them along the north side. The spires of the cathedral shoot up above the rooves of the houses beside it, a testament to the wealth and power of the Bishop, who rules the city in all but name. The streets are lined with stores and workshops of all kinds, swordsmiths and armorers display their wares from hooks in the shop windows, the market is full of foreign peculiarities, a kind of smoothe cloth from distant Cathay, wherever that is, called silk. The scent of sweet confections from the bakeries and roasting meat from street-vendors fill the air. Working women in colorful lace gowns, roman makeup, and exposed breasts stand on the stoops of brothels and taverns, soliciting passers-by. After selling their loot at the market, a great many knights make this their first stop, the rest make it their second stop after buying a few stiff drinks.

The seriously wounded, including Sir Terwynn, are carried to the abbey for treatment and rest. She is given her own small room and a bed, and cared for by the nuns. Her meals will be spare and bland unless she pays them to bring her better victuals from the city.

Prince Madoc makes a point of stopping by the Salisbury knights in their huddle as they step out onto the dock. "I would consider it a stain upon my honor to let the famous and fearsome Wylye eat and sleep among the commoners. I'd like you to accompany my guards and I, we are to dine at the Bishop's table. Ah, and you..." he takes notice of Leiryn, but clearly can't remember his name. "Bloody good shot!" He smiles, nods, and walks away.

The fleet will be in Venta for a week.

Total loot so far (and cash on hand for paying for things):

Miles £7, 15s
Elspeth £2, 10s
Leiryn £10
Eliver £7, 15s
Terwynn £4, 10s

Last edited by Cpt._Funkotron on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 am

Bleddyn brings a hand up in greeting. He'll let Persidius do the talking, for obvious reasons.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Kivutar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:51 am

Miles glances at his friends nervously before following Madoc and his men.

How did one address a bishop?

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 am

Caius was not expecting to see his lord so soon so he quickly says to the Duke, "Sir, I believe my duty is done," and he steps away from him and the captive knights while Elinor hands over the leads to Corneus's squire.

To the Earl he then says, "My lord this is a long story that I am sure you will wish to hear somewhere with more wine."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:27 am

Terrwyn is surprised to wake up, and even more surprised to do so in a bed under a roof, with a nun bending and peering and going tch-tch over her no less. Bryce tells her all that has happened, and she laughs and gets up, but then sinks back in the pillows when the world shakes slightly. Earthquake? Oh, okay. Oopsie. Yes yes, she won't move much, alright? The other knights are okay? Yay! So how long are they going to be here, again?

Oh no, a week?! A week, lying here like this? Aw man

Well, she isn't just going to sleep the days away! ...eh...where is Diane? Yes, go fetch her, she wants to talk to someone darnit

~~~ less get started on all the plot points ^^ enough irc-planning, more forum-posting :P ~~~

hat and pipe. oh, and a big coat, the one that goes swish swish when rooftop chasing
A day or two later, Diane is free to stop by after taking Miles' permission, by which time Terrwyn's mind is just a bit clearer. "Diane, you've been hiding from me?" she smiles, then sighs as her sister looks down. "Look, I'm sorry, alright? You won't get it, but I had to send you away. He was totally following you around." Okay, that was probably not a great reason, given that Diane couldn't see him. Come to think of it, she hadn't seen him in a while either, possibly not since before the battles. Good riddance.

"I meant um, this way you won't be in disgrace either?" she tentatively tries. Diane looks up, surprised. "Oh come on, you can't think I didn't care for you at all," Terrwyn teases. "So how is Sir Miles like? Do you like squiring for him? Oh you do? Good :) But why are you blushing, silly girl? Now there she goes again. There is nothing interesting about the floor, sis, I'm really sorry to say." Diane sheepishly looks up again. Terrwyn leans in. "There is no one else here. You can't trust me or something?" Diane hesitates for a minute, and then confides in her sister.

After she leaves, Terrwyn lies back and thinks. Miles has been nothing but awesome in the raids. He has made a name for himself. Heck, he has even been invited to the Bishop's table! Roderick will happily give away any lady he wants at court. As a friend, she ought to be happy for that, shouldn't she? And Diane is still pretty young, and this is in all probability just a stupid crush. But then, isn't it the perfect opportunity for her? Terrwyn counts in her head. May is almost here, so that would be one, two...six months? Must be crawling. Okay, that's it. Miles has gained much fame, and he will probably be the toast of the court. He would be a big step on her way back up, literally and figuratively :P Okay *rubs hands*

Disappointingly, Miles seems distracted with who knows what, and either her talk about "having a family of one's own" and "uncertain futures" flies over his head or he doesn't seem interested in her more subtle questions. Gah. Diane reports that he did not attempt to court a single heiress in December but then, he is young.

The advantage of lying in bed and looking at boring windowless walls is that it gives you plenty of time to think. Terrwyn tries to remember what little conversation they had in the raids. He was not talkative then either. The only one he has really opened up to is Eliver. Not very odd, considering how cheerful the guy can be, though it's a shame he can't seem to summon the same charm in front of the ladies. She snorts. Maybe they bonded over exactly that, their indifference toward women. Maybe...wait a minute.

Terrwyn looks over at Diane, who has come for a short visit as her master has disappeared, claiming not to need her for the afternoon. "Sister, have you ever seen Miles... er, is he very friendly with El?" What did she just think? That couldn't be possibly true. But the two are never seen without each other these days. Diane confirms that they are the best of buds with a questioning look. Terrwyn abruptly dismisses her, claiming sleepiness.

Is it such a ridiculous thought? Eliver was concerned about Miles after the feat he pulled in Blackwater but that was only reasonable, given the man's wounds. But the way Miles instantly went to his aid, when he faced two of those monstrous Saxons at the same time? Any best friend might do the same, but something nags at her. Arcadia was also concerned about her leg injury at Meacred Creek, going so far as to seek her out after the battle. She went to stay at Winterstream some months later. Miles visited Woodford as well, this winter, although Diane said nothing else. Terrwyn doesn't think she would be the type to hide such a secret, at least not from her. If her suspicion is true, her sister does not know at any rate.

And if it is true, then what? She could... she could ask Miles to marry Diane, with the shame held against him. But she has no idea if it is the truth. And if she did, she has no proof. And Miles may well challenge her to a duel for casting such aspersions, unfounded or otherwise, and then where would she be? She needs more to go on, for now at least. She resolves to keep a close eye on Miles after they leave the town.
that turned out bigger than I thought it would (insert that's what she said joke), apologies kiv

I wont liiiie, You are on fiiiire, Oh damn, you must have got one of them, demonical baaaabes
Terrwyn has not forgotten. How could she? But the heat of the battle was such that it forced her to push it to the back of the mind, else she break completely. And that could not be, for she knew her once-lover would have wanted her to go and destroy the Saxons instead of crying like a child. Though Terrwyn feels embarrassed when she remembers how she let that warrior from the first raid go - she still isn't certain why she did that - she would like to think, apart from that, she did all she could to make the woman proud. And now, she had got what she had been more than a bit apprehensive about - time, with which to remember, and mourn, and once done with that, to think.

Terrwyn is sure she will never be able to rest until she has thoroughly understood what happened. To that end, she bids her squire seek out that man who had delivered the news and came to fight in her stead. When Leiryn arrives, Terrwyn welcomes him with a warm smile and requests him to sit. She praises his deeds in the raids, and hoping she has relaxed the guy somewhat, she gets to the point.

"I'm sorry to bring this up, when you yourself must be in low spirits over her death, as well as irritated by the interrogation from various people, whether it be from genuine concern or just gossiping busybodies." She looks down. "I knew Arcadia well, we were... close friends. Perhaps you might or might not remember me, I stayed at her manor two winters ago. :) I-I would do anything to... for... well."

Terrwyn meets his eyes. "Have no fear, I did not call you here to press you on when the fire started, or how Arcadia came to be in the thick of it, or even why she was the only one to-to die from it." She had been idly kicking the sand when she overheard Sir Pamigen's questions. Was it just her, or did Leiryn's answers sound just a shade too hesitant? Perhaps it was just her own mind, playing tricks, making her think there could be, must be something more to it than a perfectly reasonable explanation. But she has to know! She won't - can't - rest until she is satisfied with his answer! She will, she will-

Terrwyn takes a deep breath. Don't get caught up. "We didn't have much time in Hantonne before we sailed off. I called you here to properly convey my sorrow on your mistress's... p-passing." Oh no, don't you dare, not now, not in front of him. Keep it practical. "W-we, we all grieve when Logres loses one of its valued knights." Oh no, you did it stupid. Terrwyn immediately looks down, but a blind man could notice the tears. She tries to smile at him. "Erm, sorry. So, I was saying, um" ...what was she saying? Oh, to the wind with it. She had failed with this plan, and he would only grow more nervous if she acts any longer.

She straightens up and stares back at Leiryn. "Alright, I will pretend no longer. I don't see how the life of the most fierce and beautiful knight of the county could be snuffed out due to such a stupid thing like a house fire. What sort of world is that?" Terrwyn wipes her eyes angrily. "I called you here because I can't stop thinking of her. Please tell me -
the fire - is that really all to it? If it is, fine, I will accept it, but I must hear it from you. You are her squire, you would have been there, near her. If it is not, you may tell me without fear, and I will do everything in my power to see justice done. We may not know each other, but we knew Arcadia, and you would agree with me that she would never go out in such a manner. She should have died gloriously in battle. She would have taken gruesome delight in these raids, in staining the waters with Saxon blood." Terrwyn, half-afraid she has given out too much, waits for Leiryn's answer.
oops, that got a bit long as well, didn't it? yay for spoiler tags :P

At the end of the week, Terrwyn is relieved to get out. As she walks out of the abbey, she halts for a moment, and looks back at the nuns. She is half-sure Merlin can't read minds this far away. She cautiously donates ten solidi to the box, and relaxes when no spell immediately flies in and strikes her. She smiles at the nuns and thanks them for their care <3

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Lincoln

The duke has his squire run to fetch a few servants to help the captives off their horses and carry them to warmth and shelter. He nods in greeting to the Earl, "Salisbury". Roderick returns a small bow, "Lindsey". Sir Corneus dismounts and walks off in the direction of the great hall. Roderick turns his attention back to Persidius and Bleddyn.

"I'm sure I wish to hear it here and now, thank you very much." says the Earl. He gestures for Persidius to comes close and demands in a hush whisper "I sent you on a simple errand, what the hell is going on?"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 pm

"I-It w-wasn't a-a b-boar," Bleddyn mutters to himself.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Scarik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Persidius steels himself and bows his head in deference to his liege.

"Sire, we did as asked. Barelyfield took the lead as out best woodsman and all was well for four days," then he looks at Bleddyn and remembers his vow to Eliver, "But when we came upon the Duke's party the first knights we met refused to escort us to the Duke's presence and demanded we dismount and disarm lest we be taken to their lord in pieces."

It takes him a moment to conclude, "We refused."

He continues, "So we exchanged blows and I did slay the knight who insulted us whereupon we were beset by the others, and though I tried to call out to them, the thrill of battle was cast over us all. When the field had softened I swore to the Duke that I had no quarrel with him and that I had come only to bear news of Our King in his lands. Since it was my fault that his entourage was unfit to protect him I swore also to deliver him back to the seat of his power according to the Ancient Law and Custom of Arms."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext