[Pendragon RP] 487 Adventure - "Sword of Victory"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 487 Adventure - "Sword of Victory"

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Eliver, seated down below the salt with many of the other seaborne knights, surrounded by good friends and good cheer, finds himself beginning to overindulge in his wine. Remarkably, he manages to stomach it and avoid unseemly drunkenness or illness, sitting respectably tall for the quantity of alcohol he'd consumed at his modest weight. Beside him, Miles, the Leaping Knight of Wylye, indulges heavily in food and spirits, without overexerting his stomach or his tolerance.

Despite his newfound celebrity, behind the haze of smoke and wine, Persidius is able to rub elbows with the gossips Castle Lincoln, and with masterful Roman tact and subtlety, gets directly to the bottom of just how much stercus he's casus'ed into. It is well supposed from the wealth of gab on the subject that Lady Cornelia was of no hard virtue before Persidius had gotten his hands on her, and while such a nature is not entirely ruinous among the she-heathens of the north, if discrete and exercised without conception, it is universally an embarrassment on father's such as Sir Corneus. Nothing is known for certain as to her previous lover, or lovers as the boldest tongues would very quietly have it, but the most likely candidate was young Sir Gelyn. When pointed out to him, Sir Persidius spies a young handsome nobleman below the salt, his fingers curled up in a mop of chestnut curls with his elbow on the table, despondently staring into his wine. To hear tell, Cornelia and Gelyn were playmates as young children, a tempestuous friendship of hate and affection which blossomed into an equally tempestuous courtship when they were reintroduced in adolescence. On each-other one week, off each-other the next. In public there was never any reason to suppose the courtship went any further than light hand-holding and sonnets. In private, during their periods of affection, Lady Cornelia and Sir Gelyn are known in the evenings to separately disappear and reappear at about the exact same time. Who knows for certain if it's true or what they would get up to if it were, but minds can wonder. As far as the implication of such a familiarity, Sir Gelyn is not of such high rank that he could have her hand at the asking, but not so low as to be dismissed out of hand. And as far as her father's reputation at the time was concerned, if he had taken her to bed, there were never any witnesses to the fact and no issue of their loins, and so Corneus was safe to feign ignorance. There are rumors that Cornelia may have had one or two other dalliances between reconciliations with him, but none of firmer founding than several steps of hearsay and guesswork. What is absolutely certain is that the two have not been on speaking terms in several months. He learns that before succumbing to unconsciousness, one of the knights he had bested was cursing Persidius' name in his sickbed, and this is likely how Cornelia learned of him. Looking over to her at the high table, excepting a higher degree of composure, she doesn't look much happier than dear Sir Gelyn. He judges it unlikely that she was bid to seduce him by her father.

Unfortunately for Persidius, he is presented with very few options.

Telling the truth would make a liar and a traitor out of Corneus, an accusation the Duke is unlikely to take without vengeance, and likely demolishing the peace that the entire embassy was meant to accomplish. Persidius doesn't like his chances of escaping with his head after such a denunciation without starting a war.

Maintaining the lie but breaking the engagement would mean returning all the silver he had won of Lindsey and his knights, and not just his but Bleddyn's and Sir Roderick's too. More than that, Persidius would be at the very least forced to pay Lindsey a bride-price for laying with her, which unlike Sir Gelyn, several witnesses can attest to him doing. It would also mean that he and Lindsey would have no marriage alliance that would otherwise shield him from open hostilities.

Maintaining the lie and taking Cornelia as a second wife is not without it's problems. For one he'll probably face excommunication. For another, he has little good idea of how Adwen will react. Finally, Cornelia will come without her own lands, and so will be a heavy drain on his finances for decades to come. All this aside, this appears to be his only viable option.

Proceed to the next feast round.

*********************************************************************************************

Persidius crit Intrigue

Eliver pulled the 'Overindulgence' feast card and succeeded constitution.

Miles succeeded indulgence.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 pm

"You there!" Miles hears. Looking up (still chewing), he sees a heavyset older knight.

"Sir John," says the knight, gesturing at himself. He waves a piece of bread at Miles. "Feel like making this a contest?"

Miles grins. "Most certainly." He and the older knight fall too, but after only a few bites he realizes that he has already eaten too much to win. A few more (well, a good many more), and he has to admit himself beaten.

"Sir John, I yield!" he calls out, and ambles off to find somewhere to sleep off the heaviness in his stomach.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Eheu, Persidius shakes his head at his own foolishness. Of course this was never going to end well, and of course he can only blame himself. Seems if it can't be solved with the sword then Lord Wayford was destined to choose precisely the wrong aproach.

But at least he could avoid further violence by casting aside his pride like he should have done in the first place that day in the wood.

Should have married Elaine...

He stands up and raises his cup to the high table,

"To the King's Justice and my noble father-in-law," he gets out in his typical voice but without his usual flair, "Bene vobis!" is all he can muster further.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 pm

I'm going to draw a card please.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Near to Eliver two knights he doesn't know have been arguing for some time. Their quarrel begins to get heated - looking increasingly like it could come to blows if not settled soon, whether a formal duel or a less dangerous but unseemly scuffle here and now.

Eliver turns to the pair with an amiable smile. The topic of their discussion isn't anything he knows a great deal about, and while Eliver is not precisely drunk, it's just possible that his judgement is not quite as sound as if he were entirely sober.

He sides with one of the two, a middle-aged knight with a moustache and somewhat more of a belly than he likely had when he was in his prime, and backs him up. The other, giving up the quarrel as a lost cause, gets angrily to his feet and points a finger at Eliver, "I'll not forget this!"

He storms off. Well, let him.

"I'm much obliged to you, lad," the man he agreed with says. He holds out his hand. "Sir Leowyn."

Leowyn is a knight of Bedegraine. Eliver introduces himself as well, and proposes they share a cup or two of wine.

Drew card: Quarrelling Knights, fumbled Just

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 am

Bleddyn drinks large amounts of ale, as he is wont.

Then he thinks about cats. Do they think about people? Do they drink beer? Are they really witches? Do cats ride small chariots led by pigs? Would a cat win in a fight against a two headed rat? What if cats were judging him. Oh god, what if the striped cats could see everything he did.

Bleddyn drank more to muddle thru these verydifficult thoughts.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 am

Bleddyn finds that the more he drinks, the less he feels the need to. He's had enough, he's content. He sets his empty cup down and doesn't fill it again for the remainder of the feast. On the ponderous subject of animals, he looks up and notices what appears to be an egret, a small white marsh bird, sat in the rafters above the feasting hall. How curious. As soon as he sees it, the bird almost seems to look at him, and then glide down to the other end of the hall and swoop into the larder. The wizard merlin quietly rises from his seat and follows it.

As Miles exits the hall to find somewhere to lie down, he passes Sir Alnor ap Amig and a his retainers going the other way. Thinking back, he can't recall having seen them among the other revelers at all until just now.

While Eliver is becoming more acquainted with Sir Leowyn, as it happens a somewhat prominent figure among the small northern landholders, the seneschal to the Earl of Bedegraine, a father to several unwed daughters, and an all-round charming fellow, he spots a familiar face on the fringes of he feast. An unassuming, modestly attired man with short dark hair, with his arms folded in the standing area among the squires and other unworthies, the cornishman at du Plain who Eliver had taken for Arcadia's lover. He seems to be staring at the head table with furrowed eyebrows. Eliver follows his gaze, and notices that Merlin is no longer in his seat. He looks back at the cornishman whose attention has been drawn to something else at the other end of the hall, near the entrance. Before this can be dwelt on, Eliver's attention, and that of everyone else, is seized by a sudden commotion behind him.

The source of said commotion was of course the verbal abuse of poor beleaguered Persidius, at the hands of a distraught young knight. "Hypocrite!" snarls Sir Gelyn with a shove. "Deceiver! Dissembler! Defiler! Concubine of the dragon! Philanderer! Roman swine! You're not worthy of her, you're not worthy of pond scum! If your greatness is more than the wind it's spoken by, I challenge you to prove in in a trial of arms!"

Last edited by Cpt._Funkotron on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 am

Persidius stares at the other man, determined to turn the other cheek at his insults.

"You are drunk, sir knight. Leave it be while you can."

And then the fool shoves him and Persidius sighs even as he is pushed off balance. A knight can allow no blow to go unanswered.

"Very well, Sir Gelyn, you give me no choice but to correct you with the sword."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:22 am

Eliver joins the crowd gathering to watch the duel. Many bets are placed, and of course he can't very well decline to back his kinsman. Besides, it's practically a sure thing. Seeing as he is flush with coin after the fighting, and 'most everyone else is betting for high stakes, he wagers twenty solidi, the equivalent of a pound of silver.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 am

"Psssssst, E-eliver. D-do y-you th-think I s-should b-bet t-too?"

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:37 am

"You may as well, I can't see Persi losing to that young fool."

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 pm

"I-I w-want t-to b-bet m-money t-too."

dearest gm, please tell me what a normal bet would be.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:58 pm

sunglasses wrote:"I-I w-want t-to b-bet m-money t-too."

dearest gm, please tell me what a normal bet would be.

However much you want. Eliver bet £1. Some people are betting considerably more.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Rather than taking the quarrel outside, a space is cleared before the high table. The Pendragon wants a show. Cornelia's quarreling lovers quickly arm and armor themselves and stand opposite, ringed with supporters on either side and onlookers all about. The surrounding gossip is incendiary. Sir Gelyn salutes Lady Cornelia, and at the drop of Uther's hand, the fight commences. Gelyn clearly has little skill to speak of, but he is driven on by a ferocious spirit to make up for it. He never lands one blow on Persidius, but every reeling strike he takes, he rises and rises again, his blade and his head held contemptuously high even as he is cast down again and again. He refuses any chance to surrender, as his body is peppered with wounds and his upward swings grow sluggish. At last Persidius sends the young knight's sword clattering across the floor with a flick of his risk, but even at such a sheet disadvantage, he does not yield, but crawl after his weapon. Driven by mercy, honor, and the respect of the crowd, Persidius allows him to pick up his sword and stand once more. Sir Gelyn isn't nearly as pretty as when he started the duel, covered as he is in sweat, dirt, cuts, and bruises, but as he stands shakily by the hilt of his sword, one could think from the crowd that he were Achilles reborn. Much like the prince of the myrmidons, it's his ankle that fails the young knight. One more strike, one more cut, one more walloping than he can stand, his eyes roll, he slips, the fighting devil releases his spleen, and young Sir Gelyn rushes to embrace the ground in a witless heap. Cheers and applause fill the hall.

Sir Corneus watches on stoically. King Uther fans his hand and inclines his head in salutation. "The lad could use some training, but I'd say the north can hardly afford to spare his spleen in times like these. Merlin? See to his injur-" the king turns his head to look at the man he is addressing, but finds him gone. "Merlin?!" he rises from his chair and looks around hall and up into the rafters."Where the devil's that devil of mine now?!" he picks up his chalice and looks into it, perhaps hoping to find him there. He doesn't seem to. The hall is cast into silence at the king' outburst, the first time since the duel began, which allows everyone to hear the scuffle occuring in the larder.

"HELP!" comes a shout from doorway. Clay pots shatter, shelves collapse, steel rings against steel, grunts and curses hiss past gritted teeth. Puffs of multi-color smoke seep the doorcrack. Suddenly the sound of several men screaming can be heard, and several thuds can be heard against the heavy oak door in quick succession, like heavy rain on a tent-cloth. Sir Bellias, the captain of the king's bodyguard, and two other knights rush to the door to open it. No sooner have they done so than they are knocked back by a coursing black mass that rushes through the portal like water through a valve. It soars up into the air and swarms narrowly above the heads of the guests, causing many to cry out and duck for cover. The swirling swarming mass squawks deafeningly, for it is a flock of ravens. It congeals in the air and descends into the cleared space before the king, becoming a column of ravens and then in a blink disappearing to leave the wizard Merlin in its place, beaten, bloody, and noticeably grayer of hair. He falls forward for want of a missing staff, to be caught and steadied in the arms of Uther. He swivels his head around and then looks his monarch in the face. "Your grace, there are rats in the cellar, and someone has tried to kill me." he declares in a matter of fact tone before falling limp.

"Guards!-" calls the king, but just before he commands every knight in the shire though the larder door, a pair of figures emerge, one with a swordpoint held to the other's throat. "My King, I've caught the Lord Rat!" announces the captor, a modestly attired gentleman in his late twenties with short dark hair. Eliver recalls him as the man referred to as Morbyn. His captive is well known to the Salisbury knights, he is none other than Sir Alnor, Lord Amig's son and heir, Arcadia's former son-in-law.

"Sir, put up your sword. Bellias, bring him here".

Alnor is dragged before the king with a knight at each arm, the other man follows. He is apparently well known to the crown and so requires no introduction, an is only referred to as 'Morbyn'. No questioning is deemed necessary, as Merlin affirms that Alnor and three others had cornered and accosted him in the larder, gagging him, seizing his staff and snapping it, and coming at him with knives. It was only when Morbyn interrupted and slew two of the accomplices that Merlin was able to gain enough freedom to work his magic. The third accomplish was sent hurtling into a shelf to then be crushed by it when Merlin transformed into a flock of ravens. Morbyn jumps in to explain that he had already wounded Alnor in the side by that point, but in the confusion he'd lost his sword, which is why he was so easily captured. Alnor is told to explain himself.

"The wizard has laid a curse upon the house of my father! It is well known in my land that my mother-in-law, the warriror Arcadia, died with her child, my brother, in our castle when it fell aflame. But it was not so. Twas not Arcadia that caught flame from the keep, but the keep that caught flame from Arcadia! She burned from her innards with accursed flame upon her mother's bed, where in all good nature blood is borne of the womb, black smoke was borne of her lungs like a terrible dragon! All through the fire, until the castle was nothing but ash, she endured in agony still! Only in my embrace did she fall into dust!"

A shocked murmur passes through the crowd, very little skepticism accompanies it. Merlin is bewildered, and then angry, and then struck with an enigmatic worry.

"Merlin, answer for this!" says the king.
The sorcerer's fingers fidget and his face turns a dark scowl. "My ways and my means are mine alone and are answerable to no man." he says, a foreboding and otherwordly menace dripping through his teeth.
The king hesitates for just a moment, and for an instant he might even falter, but the Pendragon is made of sterner stuff than that. "Do you confess to the evils of which you are accused?"
"On the contrary, I had nothing to do with it."
"Liar!" barks Alnor.
"I bore Sir Arcadia no ill will, in fact I owed her a boon. She was a knight of the sword lake, as I'm sure many here will remember."
"Then you are a traitor as well as a liar! No one else in Britain has the power to do what was done, nor a reason!"
"What possible-"
"You made a pact with Roderick! Or he with you! The sword of victory, or something else, in exchange for a curse upon my father's house! Know I well that you conferred at winter court!"
Eyes turn to the Earl of Salisbury. He jumps out of his seat. "How dare you!-". With this accusation, any possibility of the Salisbury knights joining in Alnor's defense is shot.
"You feared my father's power and influence! Need we forget how you dealt with the last thorn in your garden! Ba-"
"ENOUGH!" shouts King Uther, drawing Excalibur up over his head. The hall glows with an otherworldly light, and all fall silent.

"Sir Alnor of Ebble, on the charge of High Treason, you are under arrest, and shall be confined to await trial in a weeks time. There shall the royal Justiciar here your case."
"I demand my right! A trial of arms!" he strains against the men holding him.
Uther chuckles. "If that is your will, Sir Bellias, bring him his arms."
Just then, the man called Morbyn steps forth, at Alnor's side. "My king, this man is wounded. Moreover, he is distraught, and I think half-mad. He is not fit to stand a trial of arms. I volunteer to fight in his stead." a shocked murmur goes through the crowd.
"Even up to death? For this man?" asks the king.
"Yes my lord. For any man, if I be a man."
Sir Alnor shakes free of his captors and rises angry and prideful. "NO! I will not have pity, I will have justice! I'll lick any lackey you put before me, even now!"
"As you wish" says the king. Morbyn turns and shakes his head, standing aside.
"So who will the wizard's champion be eh?" says Alnor, shaking free of his captors and standing up. "The King of the Faeries?"
"No. The King of Logres." replies Uther. Alnor is taken aback. In this moment, he seems to perceive his doom.
Merlin stands shakily.
"My king you cannot be both judge and champion in this case, it would be unlawful and unjust."
"Right you are, Merlin, I shall not be the judge, we are merely the guests of his grace" he nods to Sir Corneus. "The Duke of Lindsey shall preside"
The Duke inclines his head. "As it was my hospitality which was violated, I accept jurisdiction. King Uther may stand champion."
The king's bodyguards all jostle in the sidelines to be allowed to stand and fight in his stead, but all are rebuked. The Pendragon has no champion but himself, the Pendragon needs no champion but himself. His counselors beg him to put forth a subsitute, but he will have none of it. Merlin tries one last tack, faint and weary. "Excalibur is the sword of peace! It was given you to heal, not to hack! To unite the land, not to sever limbs!". Uther responds my ordering his surgeons to take Merlin into their care. He's not in a state to disagree.

Both are armed and armored. Sir Ulfius, Duke of Silchester comes out before the duel is joined to declare that any wager made against King Uther's victory will be taken as an act of treason. That known, the crowd watches in rapt attention.

Uther casts his shield aside, and wields Excalibur in both hands. The duel is over in a matter of seconds. Alnor lets out a great battle cry and rushes Uther, sword arm coiled out his his side. Up comes Excalibur, down it swings, down falls the sword of Alnor, the hand holding it, and the same arm cut off at the elbow. He lets loose a blood-curdling scream, standing bow-legged and head tilted back. Uther crosses behind him casually and hacks the opposite leg off at the knee. A torrent of blood suffuses the dirt floor all around him. Uther lifts his other arm up and hacks that off as well, followed by his other leg. Finally, he casts off his helmet, at drags him up by his hair. "Thus to all traitors!" cries Uther, before cleaving his head from his neck and casting it aside. Merlin has been vindicated. The Sword of Victory has earned it's name.

The Adventure of 487 is at an end.

*** EPILOGUE ***

The next day, the Lady of the Lake arrived at Castle Lincoln, to care for the Wizard Merlin, and gave the king counsel in private. She also briefly tended to Sir Gelyn's wounds, as Merlin would have done if he had not been attacked. Those who were already wary of the accusations against Merlin and had not been convienced by the trial were not put at better ease by the arrival of another sorcerer. The man called Morbyn departs not long after, returning to Cornwall.

The Knights of Salisbiry all went home with their saddlebags packed with Plunder. Persidius and Bleddyn each went home with a cart full.

Leiryn accompanied Bleddyn to Barleyfield, to take up residence as his household knight with his sister. A few weeks later, he wakes up in the middle of a storm and goes to answer a knock at the door. There is no one there when he answers it, but a muddy chest and a raven atop it. The raven flies off, and when opened, Leiryn finds Arcadias' cache of roman coins.

Eliver returned briefly home, stowing his plunder and setting his affairs in order, before setting out on an eastward journey to find his sister.

Lady Adwen rushes out of the great hall of Pillarford to meet her returning husband, and locks eyes with Cornelia, riding beside him. Once the situation is explained to her, she is not angry. She silently and enigmatically listens to what he has to say, and when he is finished, she walks towards Cornelia, and gives her a giant, sisterly hug, and they walk off together gabbing like the oldest of friends. Persidius can't quite put his finger on it, but some small part of him feels that he ought to be very afraid.

END OF ADVENTURE YEAR.

If you want to reserve your seat for year 488, then reply below saying so in the next 48 hours. There are 7 slots, if they are not all filled by returning players, they will be offered on a first come first serve basis.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Obviously I have to see what horrors await Persidius. I'm in.

Last edited by Scarik on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext