[Pendragon RP] 487 Adventure - "Sword of Victory"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 487 Adventure - "Sword of Victory"

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:22 pm

I was gonna wait and see how I felt after sorting all this year's winter stuff. But really, it's futile to pretend I have the willpower to even consider resisting.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 pm

As the only sane person in this game, I'm worried what will happen if I leave you guys alone :P

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Ladki96 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:06 am

failed to kill off my girl here *shakes fist* no chance but to try again next year. Must fulfill death wish!

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:03 am

I hesitated to commit to joining again because I've been nothing but a hindrance this year with my procrastination and poor time management, but I'm ready to pull it together at the next campaign (if y'all trust me). Getting my winter stuff together now that I know I'm coming back.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby KryingKraken » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:06 am

I'm seconding with Kleiner on the hindrance and procrastination; it was a blast getting to experience this year with you all, but I think I'm going to step back. Don't get too carried away with the demon offspring now :P

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:43 am

KleinerKiller wrote:I hesitated to commit to joining again because I've been nothing but a hindrance this year with my procrastination and poor time management, but I'm ready to pull it together at the next campaign (if y'all trust me). Getting my winter stuff together now that I know I'm coming back.

Glad to have you back. You don't have all that much to do for winter stuff, unless you want to try to find a wife. Leiryn doesn't have any land at the moment, his sister Llewella pays his upkeep, so that pretty drastically simplifies his economic circumstances. He has a squire now, named Alan, an Imber lad. He also has proper knightly gear now, a full hauberk and a warhorse and everything.

You got experience checks in both Sword and Bow, and rolled over each, so those are both at 16 now. You have 1 glory bonus from beng knighted now, you can use it to raise any number on your character sheet by 1, for example Sword, or Size. Lastly you need to do winter training. You can either take 5 skill points to raise them to a maximum of 15 (you couldn't use this to raise sword for example), or you can raise any skill up to 20 by 1 point, or you can raise any attribute, trait, or passion by 1 point. You're in a rather unique position since Leiryn has only just turned 20. Normally you can't use training to increase Size, which is objectively the most useful attribute ever, after 21, but he isn't 21 yet, so you can. If you use both your glory bonus and winter training on Size, you'll go up +2HP and +1 whole Damage Die.

One thing on the money front, Leiryn now has £27.5 in treasure, 550 shillings, just so you know. Next year the army is going to invade Frankland, there'll be lots of opportunity for glory and plunder, especially for commanders. You might want to think about hiring your own troop of mercenaries in order to get yourself a commission. It would cost you at least £13, up to you though.

He shares his family with Bleddyn, and all those survival and childbirth rolls have already been performed, unless Leiryn had sex with somebody this year that I'm unaware of.

If you want to get and remain active, I would really highly recommend you join the discord channel and just have it open in a browser tab or have the app on your phone. It's a lot quicker than forum PM's if anyone needs something.

KryingKraken wrote:I'm seconding with Kleiner on the hindrance and procrastination; it was a blast getting to experience this year with you all, but I think I'm going to step back. Don't get too carried away with the demon offspring now :P

Don't tell me what to do :P You'll be missed

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:04 am

I want to see if Persidius gets his balls literally handed to him.

Women are scary.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:54 am

Miles picks up the baby, grinning from ear to ear.

"Her name is Grug," says Felelolie, looking exhausted but happy.

"She's so tiny," coos Miles, and his mother snorts. "Felt big enough,"

"Well, of course she'll grow big," says Miles. "Here!" He shoves a tiny wooden spear towards Grug's hand.

"Miles, put that away."

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Kivutar wrote:"Well, of course she'll grow big," says Miles. "Here!" He shoves a tiny wooden spear towards Grug's hand.

"Miles, put that away."

Bleddyn approves.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 am

Bleddyn was quite happy to be home. He was ready to relax with Llewella and see how big the twins had grown. True, he did have some somber news to share-it's not everyday that the earth opens up and swallows your eldest sister-but he wasn't going to lead in with that news. Partly because rumors had it that it was either a witch that caused it or she was stolen by faeries. Neither of which he really wanted to think about. Both could be listening.

Of course this all went out the window when he realized Tegan was in his hold.

"T-Tegan. N-not th-that I-I a-am n-not pl-pleased to s-see y-you b-but what brings you hense?"

"I thought Llewella might want some company."

Behind her Llewella frantically shook her head no.

Bleddyn stared at her, he would not be intimidated this time! He stared at Tegan. Tegan stared back. He glared.

"Fine! Father tried to arrange a marriage with an older widower and I might have coated the privy with something. It might have caused some blisters and burning to the backside of anyone who used it. I might be temporarily avoiding his sight for now."

Bleddyn used to think Tegan's antics amusing but this was getting out of hand. He wrote to his brother knights seeking counsil...and possible bridegrooms.

Persidius receives Bleddyn's message and thinks about it. Of his knights only Sir Yddyn is unwed and male and for the daughter of a vassal knight he finds it unseemly to even suggest an esquire.

Before responding to his friend he goes and speaks with Adwen about it though he knows the answer. Of course she is in favor of another dangerous woman being about...

With that confirmed he puts the matter to Yddyn who is somewhat surprised to hear his overly decorous lord suggest it.

"Barleyfield will be made aware of your parentage, of course," Persidius tell his knight, "Though I suspect he will be unconcerned. Lady Tegan is... difficult, as I understand, so naturally Adwen and Tatiana think this is a fine idea," he ends with a wry laugh.

"Thank you, Sir, I never expected such an opportunity," Yddyn replies with as much courtesy as he can muster. He's not much for pretty words given how he's earned everything in life so far despite niceties.

"Come now, such etiquette hardly suits you, Uncle," Persidius laughs.

"Fair point, Nephew," the older man grins.

"Good, I'll write to Barleyfield and see if we can arrange a meeting. If it goes well then I suspect you'll be wed within a fortnight."

Persidius sends a messenger and invites Bleddyn and his family to join them next Sunday if he accepts Yddyn as a suitor.

It doesn't matter how the bloody rabbit's foot made it's way into Bleddyn's bed. The message was clear. While Tegan was not estatic that Bleddyn had made this plan for her, she was accepting of it.

(The mystery of how she got a bloody rabbit's foot was solved when it was discovered that rabbit stew was for dinner that night.)

Letters sent, children were played with, including the ward that was Arcadia's child. The decision was ultimately made to include them in the travel and dinner at Persidius. T'would do them well to see other homes and families. T'was never too early to prepare the young Heulog for realities as a page when he was older.

Finally the Sunday had arrived.

Tegan was dressed in a woolen gown that had been dyed with woad. Her hair, deftly braided by Llewella. She found herself...actually nervous.

"Brother, what do you know of Yddyn?"

"W-well h-he's b-been a k-knight f-for t-twenty f-five y-years, s-so h-he's g-got a f-few s-scars. H-he's t-the u-uncle o-of S-sir P-persidius. C-certainly h-he i-is a-an o-older m-match b-but I-I d-daresay h-he w-will b-be m-more i-interesting th-then o-other s-suitors y-you've m-met," Bleddyn declared while whispering, "a-and p-probably w-wise t-to y-your w-wiles."

There is plenty of room at Pillarford for Bleddyn's entire family and his attendants. The old hall had been renovated and enlarged considerably over the past year and though it is still too early to break ground preparations are already in progress to raise a castle around Adwen's manor.

Persidius welcomes Bleddyn personally and shows them inside where a serving boy brings them mulled wine and cider as well as beer though everyone knows its hardly as good as what Bleddyn is accustomed to given Llewella's remarkable talent.

Adwen quickly spirits Llewella and Tegan away to the solar so they can talk without male interference and leaves Bleddyn with Persi and Yddyn. The other knights are out with the huntsmen and hounds hunting for grouse, fox and pheasant. Well mainly they are coordinating and giving chase while the beaters and hounds do the work. The knights themselves are on the lookout for deer.

Until they return Yddyn and Bleddyn can have time to get to know one another while Persidius enjoys the distraction. Its his first Sunday since his censure and it weighs heavily enough on the Roman knight that he doesn't take up most of the time talking.

"Th-these sp-spices in th-this w-wine a-are qu-quite pl-pleasing, a-and d-do I t-taste r-roasted d-date?" Bleddyn sips deeply before continuing, "I-I kn-know th-this m-may s-seem s-sudden, Yddyn and S-sir P-persidius. I-I th-thank y-you f-for a-accepting th-this m-meeting. I-I a-am u-unsure i-if y-you h-have h-heard r-rumors o-of m-my s-sister. M-many o-of th-them a-are s-somewhat e-exaggerated."

"I heard she was creative with her use of nettles."

"C-certainly, sh-she c-can b-be v-very r-resourceful. I-if i-it i-is h-helpful t-to kn-know sh-she o-often r-resorted t-to h-her a-antics wh-whenever o-our f-father m-mentioned m-marriage. I a-am u-unsure o-of th-the d-details i-involved, b-but m-my c-cousin cl-claimed sh-she h-had a f-feminine n-notion o-on s-servant wh-whom w-was l-later s-sent t-to a-another h-hold. Sh-she i-is sp-spirited, I-I sh-shall n-not l-lie. Y-yet I-I c-can t-tell b-by h-her a-actions a-after a-announcing th-this d-dinner th-that e-even sh-she t-tires o-of h-her f-frantic a-avoidance o-of s-suitors," he continued.

"One moment, what actions did she perform after finding out about this dinner?"

Bleddyn stammered for a moment but swiftly recovered, "Wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-why sh-she h-helped pr-prepare a r-rabbit st-stew." T'was close enough to the truth that Bleddyn only felt a thin sheen of sweat upon his brow.

Meanwhile, in another room

"Truly? You applied that to the seat of the privy?"

"I was just so infuriated! The man my father brought to see me was a widower who's previous two wifes all died of a pox that he plagued them with-or so the old wise woman said."

Llewella wrote something down upon her slate. Tegan glanced at the writing and groaned, "I am quite aware of the reigning opinion of the old wise woman. Bleddyn does not think her brains are that addled. She was his nursemaid before he left to be a page. He would listen to her for hours talk of faeries and other tales."

Tegan giggles, "In fact, Llewella, if you stay up late into the night I'm willing to wager he still puts out a small saucer of cream at night. She convinced him that it would keep bad luck at bay by keeping the Bwbachod happy."

She smiled and then looked distant and sighed, "I have caused him a fair amount of bother, I fear. I had not imagined he would have written his brothers in arms looking for a suitor for me. I was half expecting that he'd eventually turn to Sir Eliver for a solution-he always did seek council with El. I see that look you are giving me, Llewella. I shall not cause trouble for you, Adwen or Bleddyn tonight. Can you imagine the look upon the face of my mother when she hears I've finally accepted a suitor? Or the look upon father's once he hears about the parentage? This is perfect beyond measure. We should hurry this along, the quicker we can come to an agreement, the quicker I am wed, and the sooner I am out of the reach of any potential backlash that may have been brewing. I am not fond of the idea of being strongly encouraged into a nunnery- I fear that may have been the next plan of my patriarch. Well, once the blisters healed well enough for him to ride a horse to Barleyfield."

Tegan and Adwen giggled. Llewella pursed her lips, but eventually gave in to silent laughter as well.

In the Solar

Cornelia, still getting accustomed to rural life in the south, perks up when talking about suitors.

"I once got a man to run naked through the heather, I heard the monks say his stones were redder than holly berries from the nettles."

In the Hall

"Indeed, my friend," Persi replies, "Dates and juniper berries make up a good portion of this mull. And, please, call me Caius. We'll be family soon enough and you'll even be Adwen's uncle," he says with a laugh, "But I wouldn't ask her to call you that if I were you."

He then looks over to see his senior valet, Rufus, bringing more wine, and waves him over then takes the jug, "Enough of that, fraterculum, this is hardly a formal event and you are family. Let the lackeys serve while you sit with us." He gives his brother a cup and pours him some himself then refills Yddyn and Bleddyn's cups before his own.

Soon after Pamigen returns and curses while getting himself some cider, "Not a deer in sight at all, Brother," he reports to Persidius, "but we bagged a few grouse and a fat pheasant, enough to feed the knights and ladies with at least."

They have a chance to drink and converse awhile more before dinner is ready.

Bleddyn sits on Persidius's right while Llewella stays with Adwen, Cornelia and Tatiana. Some space is made at the end of the main table so that Yddyn and Tegan can sit together without being overheard.

********************************************************************************

Tegan picked at the pheasant. It was good but her appetite was fair at most. She ate a few bites and took a large sip of wine before speaking.

"I thank you, for considering this. I know this must have seemed sudden to you. I hope you will agree to this marriage. I have told Bleddyn that while I knew of your parentage, as long as that didn't apply to temperament, I would be in agreement. He has said that you are a fair and honest man. I cannot, truly, as for more."

She waited for Yddyn to reply. She looked up at his food and found him a bit ruddy faced and staring. He appeared to be weighing things to say carefully. She cocked her head and giggled.

"You have not talked much with a lady other then family, have you? Do not worry about etiquette now. It's just us talking. We shall not be overheard if we keep our voices down. Please, you will not offend me if you misspeak."

Yddyn drank deeply from his wine and breathed. She was a woman, just like his niece, there was no reason he can't talk to her like he would talk to his niece. Why he felt like a teenage boy first seeing a maiden puzzled him, "No. No I suppose I have not. To be honest, the suggestion of marriage with a lady such as yourself took me by surprise. I did query upon such a suggestion and was informed that there have been a few troublesome incidents regarding your past suitors. I have been assured by Bleddyn that you acted differently to this news-that you helped make a rabbit stew!"

Tegan coughed slightly at the mention of the rabbit but said nothing more on the subject. If that was how Bleddyn has passed it off, she wouldn't correct the statement. Yddyn continued, "I have no misgivings upon meeting your person. Now let us eat this fine food and drink. Fresh pheasant from a good hunt is always a delight."

"Agreed," Tegan smiled to herself as she renewed eating with vigor. Whether it was the wine or his prose that settled her nerves, she could not say. True, this was a marriage of convenience, but it didn't seem like it was going to be horrid. It seemed like it would be...comfortable.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 am

After Eliver returns from Essex, the business of Woodford goes on as ever. Summer rolls around into Autumn and the harvest is poor this year. Not disastrous, though: it's not a profitable year but no-one is starving.

There are plenty of cats around the estate, but one little brown female in particular is much cherished as the current representative of a breed of remarkable mousers that have always ensured Woodford loses almost none of its crops to vermin. This cat had a litter in the early summer, and as the kittens are growing it becomes clear that one of them, a brown one the image of her mother, carries on the special qualities of her line.

Not long after harvest time, tragic news reaches the estate, from Swanhill. Berian, Moreid's husband, has died in strange circumstances. It is said that he was led astray from the path by fairy lights, in a marsh where he should have known his way, and never seen again. Moreid, grief-stricken and heavy with child, gave birth very soon after, a few weeks earlier than the babe was expected but he seems none the worse if a little on the small side. He is named for his father.

Sir Crispin's younger daughter Nerys is the only one of the family's four girls still at home, and is beginning to be anxious to be wed. Eliver mentions this to Persidius while visiting him, and he suggests a match between his kinswoman and Sir Gwawl, the son of his vassal Emrys.

El puts this to Nerys, who is pleased, and it would seem that Gwawl is too, for a while after he visits Woodford. The couple get on quite well - though the young lady's grandmother and aunt between them see that it is not too well, and the marriage is arranged. Persi offers Nerys a place as waiting-maid to the Lady Cornelia. All in all it's a grand success: they seem happy enough, the heir to a manor is a good match for the daughter of a household knight, and for the son of a vassal to marry into his lord's family is an honour.

Tragedy strikes again, and closer to home, with the frosts of winter.

Sir Crispin, though he is not that old, goes to bed one night seemingly healthy, and simply does not wake in the morning. Old Siwan is beside herself with grief, now having buried both her children, and Sir Anwen is deeply upset too. She was always close friends with her brother-in-law, and after both of them were widowed much closer still. For Eliver, his uncle half raised him, taught him much, and was always there to advise and help.

But life goes on, and come Christmas the family go to Court at Sarum as usual, but this year Eliver has plans. On the first day they are both there, he pulls Miles aside and goes outside with him, until they find a relatively private spot. It happens to be the same spot they first kissed, the year before.

“Miles, you know I’ve been courting the lady Gwiona, don’t you?”

Miles nods, looking crestfallen.

“I don’t love her, you know that. I don’t want her… I don’t want anyone but you. But I need an heir, even more now Elaine’s not coming back.”

“Well I don’t mean to ever marry anyone other than you,” the big man retorts.

Eliver looks away. “You have a brother. If Felix had lived it’d be different. I could do what I wanted too.”

Miles swallows. He knows Eliver is right, but he can’t bear the thought of Eliver belonging to someone else. Then an idea strikes him.

“Marry me, Eliver. Right here, right now. At least we’ll know about it.”

Marry a man? Can such a thing be? But why can’t it? It cannot be more sinful to wed another man than to fornicate with one without being married. No-one but they need know, and if Caius “Two Wives” Persidius can be openly bigamous, then being secretly and probably not lawfully married to Miles will not make a second wedding invalid, so his children will not be bastards.

Yes, Miles.”

The Pagan wedding ceremony of course, with a cord that Miles finds and winds around both their wrists. He struggles to tie the knot one-handed so Eliver takes the other end in his free hand and they do it together. They swear to take each other as husband. Then Miles bends down so El can reach and they kiss.

"I hope you've been keeping well, my lady?"

Gwiona smiles. "I have, Sir Eliver, and you too I hope?"

They talk a while, game a little, enjoy the festive fare within the bounds of moderation. El really does enjoy her company and would be very happy to remain her friend. But that's not going to happen - hopefully. He doesn't dare look in Miles' direction while he's with her.

"I have a gift for you, Gwiona." He brings out a small object wrapped in soft cloth. She takes it and carefully unwraps a gold brooch.

"Oh, it is lovely. Thank you Eliver, I will put it on immediately." She does, and it does look nice. Should he ask her now? He starts to speak and then changes the subject to something else.

Later, he finds her again, and this time cautiously asks something about whether she likes being the Countess' handmaiden. She laughs. She is happy serving Lady Ellen, she says, and very fond of her, but not so much that she means to be an old maid. And she gives him a look. So when Eliver finds an opportunity to speak to Sir Roderick, he asks if he may ask a boon of him.

"You've done well enough in my service - your occasional taste in jests aside - that you may certainly ask."

Eliver masters his face only with a struggle, recalling certain events the Earl could be thinking of. "If it pleases my Lord, I would ask your permission to marry the Lady Gwiona."

Sir Roderick considers the request, and consults his wife. Lady Ellen assures him that Gwiona likes Eliver well, and encourages the match, so he assents.

"Padrig, come with me," Eliver calls the senior of his two squires over. "I've been thinking. I know you won't want to remain a squire forever."

"Not forever, Sir, but I'm not anxious to leave your service yet."

"I don't want you to leave it, Padrig. But you're of an age to be knighted now, and you've always done well and shown ability."

Padrig looks surprised. "I would like nothing more, of course, Sir, but my father could never afford..."

"I know that," Eliver answers. Padrig's father has no lands to his name and two older sons. "But I can. I need another knight at Woodford, now that I'm not expecting my sister to return. And I'd much rather it was someone I know and trust than a stranger. You've served me well as a squire, and I've no doubt you would just as well as a knight. That is, if its what you want?"

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Previous