[Pendragon RP] 486 Adventure - "Water and Blood"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 486 Adventure - "Water and Blood"

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 pm

"Oh, Tatiana is just a dear. If you'll excuse me, I need to be off causing trouble somewhere else." She smiles, offering her hand for a kiss, before rejoining the other ladies of the court at another table.

At the high table, Lady Ellen responds to Terwynn, nodding sagely "I feel your worry in my own heart, Sir Terwynn. No word yet has come back to us, but no news is good news as far as I'm concerned."

"Well enough" says Gwiona.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Persidius kisses the proffered hand and gives a slight bow before he himself returns to his place.

And though he tries to avoid it he can only barely suppress a snort at Eliver and Miles's ranaery so to cover it he adds in a serious tone,

"Careful, Woodford, there's a hefty fine for poaching the king's frogs."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Terrwyn blinks. "Oh no, I wasn't- ah! Uh yes, I am so worried! You see right through me. My Lady." Smiling, she retreats. Dammit!

Well if he hasn't, too bad, there's nothing to do about it :-/ Well, except...no... no, a crazy idea. Hm... yeah no, definitely crazy. But then, again >.> well, it at least merits some thinking, what's wrong with thinking? It's not like this will actually lead to anywhere ^^

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Kivutar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Miles laughs uproariously at Persidius' joke, although he doesn't completely understand it. He somehow catches the frog as it scrambles out of his cup, and holds it out under Persidius' nose.

"Here, have a look at it. 'S cute!"

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 pm

really sorry for interrupting, didn't know how else to fit it in

Terrwyn goes on a raid to pillage stuff, since she doesn't have much left over after paying that absolute son of a-an angel, Earl Roderick, the 1 Libra that I rolled for Discretionary Income ^^ also it would be a good distraction, that's why >:| shhhhh, don't think about it too much, just go get hammered and ride out the next morning - BEST PLAN WOOP WOOP

Terrwyn (Intrigue) Roll rolled 8 - success

She selects Appletree - 1 village and 1 thorpe. It belongs to Sir Eustace, an older knight, used to be part of Duke Ulfius' household.

"WOOP WOOP!" Terrwyn cheers atop her horse as she watches her men surround the little place from all sides. Then she squints. Some old fart has come out riding at breakneck speed. Oh wait, my bad, it's that that guy, the lord of the place. Right. She sighs, and smiling, she yells, "Hello! Don't suppose you mind if we just take all of this... stuff?"

Hm, I think he does mind a lot. He's yelling. What? Okay mister, you don't fool me, your mouth's moving but you aren't saying anything. What?

"I said, come fight me fairly, you she-bitch!"

Ohhhh. Well why didn't he just say that then? Whistling, Terrwyn gets down and cheerfully strides over.

And gets her ass kicked. Sir Eustace really loves his little apple cart, it seems, and opens with a powerful blow that sends Terrwyn kissing the ground. And then he lands another hit. And then she drops her weapon. Yeah. She looks up to see Sir Eustace approaching her, raising his sword for another strike.

Throw it all to flames then, why not? I am not planning to die today, y'know? ^^ Terrwyn shouts for her men to come in, and they quickly take care of it. Terrwyn smiles at him apologetically as he dies. "Sorry, seems I'm only fair on the outside." :)

Honor: -2 = 9

Stats for nerds
Sir Eustace (Love (Family) 10) rolled 6 - success
Sir Eustace is impassioned (+10 Sword)

Sir Eustace (Sword 20+10 = 30) rolled 18 - crit
Terrwyn (Sword 19) rolled 4 - success
Sir Eustace damage (8d6): 30 - 16 = wound of 14
Terrwyn is knocked down

Sir Eustace (Sword 30) rolled 9 - success
Terrwyn (Sword 19) rolled 20 - fumble
Sir Eustace damage (4d6): 13 - 10 = wound of 3
Terrwyn knocked down, disarmed

Bryce (First Aid 7) rolled 16 - fail, rolled 8 - fail

Last edited by Ladki96 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Note the above raid took place in late november, and the manor in question was called Appletree, across the border in Silchester.

Also, no one is butting in by rp-posting your actions at different in character times, you're generally supposed to.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KryingKraken » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Peering over the edge of her cup with a tinge of suspicion, Elspeth takes a sip of her ale and looks about the place. The feast is cheery enough; she makes small talk here and there with the occasional passerby and those sitting next to her, but she generally keeps to herself. She raises her cup to her lips and observes the frog in Miles' hand... She quickly checks her own cup to affirm that, much to her satisfaction, it was frog free. Another drink of ale passes down her throat thankfully as she plans her next step.

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby Scarik » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 pm

Persidius looks figuratively down at Sir Miles while looking literally down at his frog.

"Yes, its... a frog."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm afraid I've messed up continuity a bit: Eliver goes to talk to Gwiona after the frog business is concluded, but for the sake of not dragging this out unnecessarily I jumped ahead. And for the same reason I'm not going to make separate posts now, so the two conversations here are at different times.

Even Persidius can't resist joining in their jest - and is rewarded by Miles thrusting the object of the game right into his face, which gives Eliver a fresh idea.

He puts on an expression of mock fear, although his eyes still shine with merriment. "Won't you be a good friend then, Persi, and help us hide the evidence. Kiss it, and perhaps it will turn into a princess and we'll be safe."

"I'm glad to hear so." She seems pleased to see him, so El hopes she's not put off by their antics. He smiles back, "It's good to see you again; I enjoyed your company so much the last time we met." He continues to make small talk for a while - in Eliver's company one thing that you'll never be sort of is conversation.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:40 am

Gwiona goes along and keeps up with the small-talk, but seems to keep getting lost in his emerald green eyes.

Old Critical Success of Appearence, new success of flirting.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 pm

At the feast

Persidius refrains from kissing any frogs and politely excuses himself from further interaction.

After the feast

Once home back home Caius Persidius Pacilus fits back into his routine overseeing the affairs of his manor. He is still content to allow Tatiana to improve her lifestyle at his expense so long as her husband is performing well in his duties and it doesn't impact his own accommodation.

Even at his own home though he finds himself spending his time alone. Well, as alone as a lord of the manor ever gets since there is always some servant or other about. In the mornings he focuses on training his squires, especially Elinor since she has reached the age of knighthood and he looks forward to recommending her to the Earl in the spring.

Settling disputes with his command of legal proceedings is one of his personal joys, especially when the disputes are minor yet contentious. Major proceedings of course get sent on to the hundred and county courts.

In November he is training in the yard when he receives the shocking news that Sir Jaradan has been murdered by Sir Terrwyn. He immediately leaves for Sarum to protest and argue in her favor but when he hears the testimony of the witnesses he feels cold and leaves without speaking to Terrwyn. Days later he attends the funeral and wonders what could have happened.

How can it be that of his few peers one is a butcher and another a conjuxicidatrix? He is not a particularly pious man (though neither an impious one), but he prays that day and several others afterward trying to discern his place in current events. He could not have stopped what Terrwyn has done, but he has no excuse for standing by for Arcadia. The bonds of kinship are strong even when made by law, but his duty is to his sister before it is to her father-by-law's wife, and to his own retainer before his old master's wife.

At least, in theory. In practice he would not stand between an allied knight and their desire to execute a criminal who is clearly guilty no matter how foul the method. But never again will he be silent about it, and if his words lead to conflict so be it.

It is in that vein of justice-mindedness that he requests an audience with the Earl in early December to put forth his desire to take up the role of Comptal Champion.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:49 am

'scuse the silliness, will be back to our regular seriousness with 487 :P which is to say, not serious at all, even then :-/ oh well

Winter

Terrwyn meekly accepts the punishment and goes back to Larksnest. Alone in her manor, Terrwyn spends her days in the yard, practising till she is called for service again. She sends messengers to all the other knights, desperate to find out how her twins are doing at court. Lots of things are "accidentally" thrown or broken. It isn't very funny. Those poor servants!

Okay, kind of funny.

She sometimes sees Jaradan laughing, out of the corner of her eyes, only to see nothing when she turns. Suffocated, she feels someone lying beside her in bed, only to see nothing when she lifts the sheets. She barks at the servants to get rid of the stained carpet in the great hall. She is not crazy. She is not crazy. She is /not/ crazy. She hears his booming steps and cringes. No, it is just the servants shifting something. She berates them for being so loud. Her head hurts. Not crazy!!

She has to live. She has to get back in the grace of the court, she will beg and plead with that whoreson Roderick to see her daughters. No, he will never relent. She curses him. "May he never live to see his own child grow up!"

Arcadia. Roderick. Children. Jaradan. Roderick. Arcadia. Jaradan. Children. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it! You are but a ghost, you can't hurt me. You hurt me all this year, you can't anymore. Who won in the end? Haha! I did, jerk. You are rotting below. Arcadia. Forget her. Arcadia. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH forget her! Why on earth would she have her now? She will understand. No!

The fools at Salisbury! Those women will bring them up as weaklings!

*rocks back and forth* maybe this would be a good time to go on a raid!

It isn't. It really isn't. See *counts under breath* 7 posts above for further details

Diane. Must focus on Diane. Is she doing well? She is. Her fighting has vastly improved, as has her responsibility. Perhaps she could be her armiger now! She is frightened of her. >.> She never understood why. Never mind! No one need understand!

Okay no dude, stop looking at her like that. You're a ghost. Okay, that's it!

Sir Miles! I'm sending this girl over, okay? She will be your new squire. Shh, no arguments! He's right here. Can you sense him, lingering?

Back again, are you? Well, I'm not afraid of you, my lord. See this? *clash* This is me getting better at the sword than you ever were. Yeah, see this? *whack* See this?! *whack whack* ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Oops sorry, Bryce, my bad. But shush, tell me, is he there behind me? Who? Jaradan, of course! Idiot! Uh no, there he is, can't you se- O shit! Sir Eustace as well! Wait, no no, I'm really sorry! No I just wanted to live!

Yes, I'm the worst, I know. A-are you done with your lecture now? It's been a whole week. Please, one of you is bad enough. Ascend to your stupid heaven or whatever sir! This is getting really tiring, your insults were never that creative in the first place, okay?

What? What are you looking at? Get lost, peasant. Don't you dare laugh Jaradan! F-fuck!

And now I don't really know how to end this so let's just say Terrwyn gets fed up one day finally and rides to Winterstream to resolve things. And then rides to Ebble. The age before maps and signboards were confusing, alright? She sheepishly smiles at Lord Amig. "Okay no, I know how this looks but - wait wait don't close the...! and you did. Okay. Well, I guess I deserved that. Hey can one of you at least take down a message? No? Okay. Cool.

"Let's go home then. :-/ Don't stick too closely to me Jaradan, you have your own horse. No doubt he only didn't let us in because of you. You look dirty." >.>

and off they went uh, riding into the sunset? Yeah sure

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:31 am

Sir Miles! I'm sending this girl over, okay? She will be your new squire. Shh, no arguments! He's right here. Can you sense him, lingering?

Miles looks at the nervous girl, then at his mother, who is reading him the note, then back at the girl. Her resemblance to Terwynn is obvious.

"Can you read that last part again?" he asks. Felelolie obliges, and mother and son frown at each other.

Miles sighs. Poor Sir Terwynn. The stories had been dreadful, and he'd avoided thinking about them. He hadn't known her well, but Terwynn had always seemed a bit strange. It seemed the rumours of her losing her mind were true.

None of that was this young girl's fault, and goodness knows her life couldn't be an easy one from now on, with such an infamous elder sister. Besides, he did need a new squire. He racks his brains, trying to remember fireside conversations.

"Your name is Diane, isn't it?"

"Yes, Sir," the girl responds.

"Well, you heard what your sister wrote. I'll take you on as my squire, but first I need to ask you some questions."

"Questions, Sir?"

"First of all, do you go eating strange mushrooms in the forest?"

Diane stares. "No, Sir."

"Excellent. Do you climb on things?"

"Not often, Sir."

"Have you ever, under any circumstances, shot arrows indoors?"

"No, Sir."

Miles looks at his mother, who hesitates a moment and nods.

"Then I expect you'll do, Diane. What sort of training have you been doing?"

"The usual, Sir. Weapons, riding..."

Miles nods. "Well, come outside and give me a hand. There are some water buckets in the courtyard; today's training is filling and carrying them. Don't touch the big red one - that's mine."

Diane stares some more. "You're fetching water, Sir?"

"No, not fetching. Well, usually we bring it to the kitchens after, no sense in wasting it, but it's just lifting the buckets and putting them down. Come along, I'll show you."

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:30 pm

After the excitement of Merlin's adventure and Lady Ellen's feast, the remaining months of garrison duty are every bit as tedious as Eliver had been expecting. Though it's better for having his friends there - both old and new.

At last, in early summer, they are released, and Eliver returns to Woodford. All is well at home, and as the summer wears on there comes news from Swanhill: cousin Moreid is brought to bed again, of her fourth child and first daughter. Alicia is also with child, and about harvest time - barely nine months after her wedding - she too delivers a daughter.

Eliver simply has to find out. With the harvest safely in - a good year - he pays a visit to his sister.

"She looks like her mother," he remarks to a proud Llud, smoothing baby Mairwen's fuzz of black hair, surprisingly thick for a newborn. But he can't help but recall the equally dark locks of a certain Irishman. Eliver waits for a moment when Alicia's husband is elsewhere to take her aside for a whispered conversation.

"Is she..."
Alicia looks stricken, "There's no way to be sure. Nine months doesn't mean it has to be to the day. It could just as well have been our wedding night as..."
"And Llud?"
"Has no reason to think about it. He loves her. Leave it be, El: she's mine, whatever else."

Eliver visits Swanhill as well. To his shock he finds Moreid and her family in mourning: little Aidan, his cousin's firstborn, not quite six, took ill and died not a week ago. Eliver doesn't stay long: he's in the way. Moreid and Berian are grieving, of course, and Eldrid, who adored his elder brother, is miserable. Crowan is a mere bundle in her mother's arms. But Eliver's little namesake, just a year old, is too young to understand, and toddles about, cheerful and as lively as a kitten, always under someone's foot. He shrieks with laughter when El picks him up and tosses him in the air.

After he returns to Woodford, a pair of visitors arrive, asking to speak with him. Irish visitors, as it turns out. Eliver almost orders them off his land immediately, but when one of them says that they were sent by King Concabar of Cerreigh - not by the lecherous dog himself - he is persuaded to hear them out.

The one who spoke takes a leather bag, which he holds as though it's considerably heavy, from his saddlebags. He explains that King Concabar apologizes for his son's actions, and that he hopes this will put an end to the matter. The money in the bag is for Sir Eliver, he says, to compensate him for the Prince's actions. And the rest - he indicates the rather larger coffer-box that his companion is struggling to remove from his horse - is for any child the lady Alicia has borne lately.

"I will take what your master offers me," Eliver says, after a few moments' thought. "And so long as that scoundrel Padraig never approaches the lady again - not so much as to bid her good day - that will be an end of it. But I won't accept a penny for the child, which was without doubt fathered by her husband, and your master and his wretched son have no interest in it."

The one who appears to be in charge hands over the bag, which feels like several pounds of coins. "If you insist, our master also told us that if Padraig is seemingly not the father, to offer you this coffer" The other messenger now stands beside him, the box held in both arms "in exchange for a vow that none of her children will make pretence to that effect in future."

"If it were Padraig's child," the other mentions, "It would be best if no one back home found out about it, for his own health."

Eliver glares at him, but thinks the offer over for a minute. "Alright." He makes the requested promise, though privately unsure why a bastard girl should cause such trouble. But these Irish do have strange ideas about some things. The coffer is handed over, and Eliver bids them leave immediately.

The bag contains £5 in silver pennies, and the box another £15. And it seems Padraig is just as eager for there to be no scandal as Eliver, so they need not fear on that front. With Alicia happily married - and there's no knowing for sure that baby Mairwen isn't the legitimate daughter of Llud ap Rhys - it seems all's well that ends well.

With this windfall on top of the good harvest and his share of the ransom for the knights captured at Buckholt, the manor's coffers are practically overflowing. He decides to put some the money to work improving his land.

Autumn draws on, and they look hopefully for Sir Elaine's return, but there is still no word from her. Given the fighting in Caercolun her continued absence is now somewhat concerning. Eliver resolves to look for her if they do not anything soon.

Come November, with winter fast approaching, there is shocking news. Sir Terrwyn has been banished from court for the murder of her husband. Eliver, who knew Terrwyn well when they were children, and in recent years enough to know that she hadn't changed a great deal, suspects that Sir Jaradan did not know what to do with a wife who was a knight. He must have either tried to break her proud spirit with ill-treatment, or simply driven her past endurance by expecting subservience as though she were an ordinary woman. That hardly makes Terrwyn's actions right, but El remains convinced that she's not a truly wicked person, only as hot-tempered as ever, and unwise.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm

Persidius is admitted to the Earl's solar, and finds Sir Roderick there sitting comfortably by a brazier, wearing an ordinary tunic, bouncing little three-year-old Jenna on his knee. Lady Ellen is in the other side of the room, directing a team of ladies in their needlework. Both Adwen and Elaine are present, and Persidius tracks a pair of sidelong glances from them as he enters. The Earl directs the young knight to sit opposite him, and hears his proposal. Having heard it, he ruffles his daughter's hair, kisses her forehead, and sends her off running into the knees or her nurse near the other ladies.

"I am inclined to award you the post, Caius, but on a few conditions. Firstly, you are a young man; a coming man, but young. You have already proven yourself a capable knight at Meacred, and at Buckholt and the giant affair, and your duel of Sir Bregen, but I require one final test of your mettle before I allow you to throw yourself on the swords of my enemies in such an immediate and perilous faculty." He rises from his chair. "Come" he says, leading Persidius out into the courtyard along with a squire, calling for the armorer. "Bring me a pair of rebated swords, shields, helmets, and gambesons." While the man is fulfilling the order, the Earl explains "We will fight to second felling. Do not withhold your strength or your skill Sir Knight, for I will not, and neither do I wish to harm you grievously."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

PreviousNext