[Pendragon RP] 486 Adventure - "Water and Blood"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 486 Adventure - "Water and Blood"

Postby Scarik » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Persidius follows his lord curious as to what he intends and is not surprised to see it is a demonstration of arms. What does surprise him is his liegelord intends to perform the test himself! He considers rebating his blows but declines in order to dutifully obey, "As you command, my lord."

Once they are equipped he salutes and begins testing his opponent's skill.

Wayford is the larger of the two men, but the Earl is more sure-footed and swift. To compensate for that Sir Persidius adopts a cautious guard and avoids excessive movement. He circles in half-steps so as to never cross his legs and keeps his blade pointed forward to use the speed of the thrust to his advantage.

Sir Roderick's stance is less poised to play to his own abilities. He knows he can move in and out of distance more easily and so he comes with a trailing guard to conceal his strikes.

They open cautiously and at first Roderick takes the advantage but before his sword finds its target Persidius binds their blades and deflects the Earl's strike away with his shield. In the gap left as he recovers Persidius drives his sword forward in a hard thrust. Were their swords sharp such a blow would have drawn blood through maille let alone a gambeson. But Roderick proves agile and holds his stance.

Both knights circle each other again and come back to contact with a rapid exchange that sees Persidius crack his waster down on his lord's helm in a staggering blow that narrowly avoids breaking the man's nose due only to his shield's rim rising barely in time. Yet Roderick keeps his feet.

Persidius changes his tactics for the third exchange. He continues to attack from the outside but instead of pressing in toward the center he thrusts at the limbs to unbalance the Earl. It works, and Roderick spills to the hard, December ground.

Roderick easily regains his feet while Persidius backs away to give him space. Once more they salute and re-engage.

What follows is three more exchanges that chip away at the practice shields and send tremors through both men's arms. But in each of them Persidius is the clear victor and his liege never manages to break through his expert defense. On the first Persidius continues his attack at the edges but fails to score again with it and after the second exchange fails to even stagger the Earl he returns to his stronger stance and waits.

At the point Roderick becomes impatient and with his sword high he attacks only to find his knight stepping aside and sending a hard blow into his hip. With his center unsteady he stumbles forward and falls once more to the ground.

Caius Persidius Pacilus has bested Roderick ap Robyn. The young knight then turns his sword over and kneels with its point in the ground.

CarrieVS wrote:
Stats for nerds
Using rebated blades.

Roderick (Sword 20) rolled 10 - success
Persidius (Sword 22) rolled 9+2 = 11 - success
Persidius damage (5d6): 18 - knockdown
Actual damage: 18/2 = 9-9 - no wound
Roderick (Dex 13) rolled 11 - success.

Roderick (Sword 20) rolled 9 - success
Persidius (Sword 22) rolled 18+2 = 20 - crit
Persidius damage (10d6): 27 - knockdown
Actual damage: 27/2 = 14-9 = wound of 5
Roderick (Dex 13) rolled 9 - success.

Roderick (Sword 20) rolled 11 - success
Persidius (Sword 22) rolled 15+2 = 17 - success
Persidius damage (5d6): 14 - knockdown
Actual damage: 14/2 = 7-9 - no wound
Roderick (Dex 13) rolled 17 - fail
Persidius 1 : Roderick 0.

Roderick (Sword 20) rolled 3 - success
Persidius (Sword 22) rolled 14+2 = 16 - success
Persidius damage (5d6): 15 - knockdown
Actual damage: 15/2 = 8-9 - no wound
Roderick (Dex 13) rolled 4 - success.

Roderick (Sword 20) rolled 5 - success
Persidius (Sword 22) rolled 6+2 = 8 - success
Persidius damage (5d6): 11
Actual damage: 11/2 = 6-9 - no wound.

Roderick (Sword 20) rolled 1 - success
Persidius (Sword 22) rolled 10+2 = 12 - success
Persidius damage (5d6): 17 - knockdown
Actual damage: 17/2 = 9-9 - no wound
Roderick (Dex 13) rolled 14 - fail.
Persidius wins 2 : 0.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 am

The Earl's squires rush to his side to help him to his feet. He he throws down his sword, handing them his helmet and shield, and stands before Persidius. He dusts himself off, recovering his breath, before placing a hand on the top of the genuflector's head. "Sir Caius of the Persidii, I accept you as my sworn sword and champion. In recognition of your faith, loyalty, and skill of arms, name one boon you would have of I your liege that is within my power to grant, and you shall have it."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Still on one knee he looks up, "I swear by the Four Evangels to never shirk from defense of my lord's honor nor to balk from enacting his justice. And if your humble servant may be so bold I request my lord's blessing to marry Lady Adwen of Pillarford."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 pm

"You shall have it." He claps Persidius on the shoulder and brings him to his feet, leading him back into the solar. He calls Adwen and Ellen over to him and breaks the news. Adwen is strangely adaptable to the fast moving circumstances, giving her consent to the union with a demure nod and curtsy, and a "As it pleases, my lord." He asks his wife for a bit of lace, she procures a cloth of gold cord, handing it to him. He takes Adwen's and Caius' hands, puttning one in the other, ritually binding them together with the golden cord, declaring them husband and wife. Adwen recieves a hug from Lady Ellen, and Persidius a pat on the back from the Earl."I give the lady, her person, her lands, chattels, and movables into your care. Go now, I expect you can handle the rest of it from here, my young friend" he chuckles. "Return no later than the second of advent."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 am

Apologies for the long wait; writer's block is a persistent and pervasive bitch

This late period of the year has mostly been kind to Arcadia. She and Amig led a sacking of Silchester as karmic retribution for their attack, and it went quite successfully, sating her desire for further vengeance for the time being. Subsequent life at home has been pleasant, and while her judgement of romance has not proven reliable in the past, she is fairly certain her relationship with Terrwyn might be rekindled. Most everything is good, or at least acceptable. There is only one major dilemma troubling her right now:

New life is growing inside of her.

Having not indulged her husband since their wedding night and kept any spontaneous romps with male servants since then as safe as she could possibly account for, she can think of only one probable source: Leiryn. In a manner of speaking, at least. She and her squire had enjoyed some passive flirtation in the past, but little more -- except for the night of Beltaine, when, in what she had assumed to be an especially vivid dream, he had crawled into her bed and... taken some uncharacteristic initiative. He had made no mention of it the next morning despite her practically giving him a congratulatory clap on the back, so she had brushed it off as a nocturnal flight of fancy and gone about her business for a while.

She was also able to brush off the vomiting spells that started up as being rooted in various mundane causes, and even when her stomach started to swell, she thought it simply the product of neglecting her training for even a minute and had tried to work even harder to maintain her muscular figure.

Yet here she is close to six months later, and it is impossible to deny now that she is pregnant -- a fact she has apparently managed to obscure from her husband and almost everyone else she knows so far by withdrawing herself, but which could hardly go unnoticed for much longer. She has some idea as to what had happened; in all likelihood, given the timing and circumstances, she had been visited by a disguised incubus, a thought which she cannot help but take some retroactive pride in even with these consequences. The thought of having a faerie hybrid child is more comforting than a human one would be, but still, she had not expected to have to deal with this for at least a few more years.

She plans to confront Leiryn about the issue to confirm her guess; what happens after that, she does not want to think about yet.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Leiryn, for his part, dreampt vividly the night of Beltaine that Arcadia had climbed atop him in his own bed, and so the following morning, for some reason feeling quite sore and fatigued, when Arcadia clapped him on the back with a wink, he could manage nothing but bewildered silence. The following six months, he kept his mouth shut, out of fear for his own sanity, or the fate of his neck if it weren;t a dream at all, and that Lord Amig discovered it. This much he explains to Arcadia when she confronts him, after some of the shock of her pregnancy, and his implied paternity, is abated.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:54 am

With all of that clarified, Arcadia makes a quick decision that was already bouncing around in the back of her mind. She does want to keep and raise her child, but she is not sure what Amig's opinion of a half-human child would be, and cannot risk telling the truth. She also does not want to point the finger at Leiryn, despite him being the most likely candidate for impregnating her -- she actually likes the poor guy, and despite Amig giving her permission to sate her desires with younger men, there is a part of her that fears he will turn on his word at the idea of someone else giving her a child and have him killed in jealousy.

To that end, she rubs at her eyes until they seem sufficiently red and watery, and seeks out her husband.

"Yes, I am pregnant," she tells him before he can say anything about her appearance, putting on her most strained and tearful voice. "I did not want to believe it at first, but as you can see, it has gotten undeniable. I, erm... I do not know who among our servants the father might be, so I would rather not have anyone hanged if you are feeling angry or bitter about the parentage. Please, my husband, simply allow this child to be raised as if it were our own offspring. No one else shall know."

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:06 am

Lord Amig looks back at her blankly. "Are you telling me that you were raped in the night and couldn't see your attacker, or that you've ridden so many beds in this castle alone that you've simply lost count?"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 am

"Well, my husband, seeing as I had no idea I was pregnant until just recently and have no idea how far along I am, it becomes a matter of picking blindly between the select few people with whom I have shared..." She trails off, knowing that if she comes off like she is talking down to him, it will just be worse. "I just want to avoid pointing fingers. As bloodthirsty as you know me to be, it would give me no pleasure to see one of our own killed because I assumed I was seven months into child-bearing when it has actually only been four.

"You are free to do as you wish, of course, and I have no wish to try and stop you -- I can even offer you the names of the individuals I most suspect, if you truly feel like blood must be shed -- but I am only voicing my opinion that this matter should be quietly swept aside for the sake of all involved. An honorable marriage is expected to produce a child, after all, even though we both knew from our wedding night that it was unlikely to be with each other. Better it be seen as an heir that raises no questions than a shameful bastard that raises many, right?"

Growing nervous, she adds, "I would not ask you to show the kind of affection for it that you would show your own offspring, of course -- merely that, as we have been partners in our many executions and pillages, we remain partners in... this."

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:03 am

"My Lady, I've known of your condition for some months now. We share a bedchamber. We sleep next to eachother. I see you naked. I hear, and smell, you retch in the morning, darling. I never asked you because I assumed you had a grip on it. I bear your stable of summer studs no ill will, but I thought more of you."

The old man exhales. "There's nothing for it, as it is we need only fear from the lips of lowborn braggarts, if I rounded up ll your conquerors and burned them alive, the child's bastardy will be all but common fact. As it is, you are my Lady Wife, and the Chatellaine of my castle. I will claim it as my own."

"But I will want those names. I have no designs on avenging my honor as a husband, but I am owed the option."

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:00 am

Arcadia gratefully rattles off the names of a handful of servants she personally dislikes, plus one or two of her real one-time partners in the mix just in case. Exactly as planned.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:04 am

Does the latter category include any named NPC's, ie her squires or Amig's sons?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 am

Nope, just random staff

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 am

Just checking, duly noted, end scene.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 am

Its a hectic few days for the Persidii after the Earl dismisses him with the command to return on the second Sunday of Advent. The most important detail is to call his knights and vassals to pay homage and recognize Adwen as his wife and their lady. To that effect he will hold the ceremony at the beginning of the wedding feast which he gives Tatiana very little time to plan.

"I am sending out messengers to invite all of the Earl's vassals save one and the Earl himself as well as those knights of our kinship and those esquires close to us. I shall also invite all the folk of Pillarford to come to Wayford and join in the celebrations."

After some discussion about how many people that really is he decides to hire a score of toughs for a shilling each to ensure good order is maintained. That kind of coin ought to ensure loyalty to the job at the very least.

And so he tasks his knights, Sir Pamigen and Adwen's uncle Sir Yddyn to carry out the planning and oversight of the festivities. Sir Pamigen will stay at Wayford and direct labor there while Sir Yddyn will go to Pillarford and see that all the folk are safely brought to Wayford as well as taking command of the footmen who garrison that manor and the esquires who oversee it.

He takes each aside in turn before he sends them to their tasks and says,

To Sir Pamigen, "As my dear sister's husband I intend to name you Seneschal of my lands and charge you with overseeing all of my hydes and profits. You shall continue to hold pride of place in my household and be kept close in my council."

To Sir Yddyn, "As my lady wife's closest kin I shall name you Constable in charge of all my hyrds and chattels. As my gift I grant you my blessing to marry any woman who is willing to be your wife and promise there will always be a place in my hall for you and your family so long as you serve me faithfully."

Will edit more, just posting so I don't lose it.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext