[Pendragon RP] 486 Adventure - "Water and Blood"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 486 Adventure - "Water and Blood"

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:00 am

"Oh what wonderful news, I can't wait!" Terrwyn claps. "I'll probably leave tomorrow morning then, just as soon Persidius's messenger arrives with the invitation." =)

----

"Eh? What do you mean they haven't arrived yet? Ah never mind, I'm sure they will be along by day's end." Gah, Caius, I know you have a lot on your plate but c'mon man, you are always such a stickler for rules and the proper procedure :P Well never mind, this way I can get in some more fighting practice woohoo

----

"What? Still no guy yet? Hey, what day is it again Gwiddon...? Huh so, what, that's *counts*...only a day to go? He can't have actually forgotten to invite some people in the confusion, could he :? Hahaha, the look on his face if he ever made such a mistake XD... Oh sorry, what were you saying Steward? ...Oh. Huh! No, I didn't consider that, but nah, you're wrong, we're pals ^^ He wouldn't take that play-acting at Sarum this far. That was just pretend-anger in front of Earl Roderick. And look too where it got him! I would have done the same. Shhh, no more talking, they will have to arrive tomorrow at any rate, which will just about give me enough time to get to Wayford by nightfall. Get my horse and stuff ready to go, okay Bryce? Night!"

----

:-| "Okay, well *cough* You know what, I think what happened was, the Earl is probably interested in attending the wedding, and his Champion can't refuse him, can he? No, so that's why he's not, didn't uh, couldn't. Good friend, trying to protect me from unnecessary drama <3 What? What are you looking at me like that for? >:| Do one thing Gwiddon, take your face down to the buttery and get a cask up here. One of the good ones alright, I know what a tightwad you are" <.<

Hello Caius :D Congrats on the wedding friendo! Oh, and the Champion thing, that too. Hope you have a good married life yadda yadda, I SENT WINE! See you on the battlefield dude ^^

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 am

With private conversations out of the way the knights are dispatched to their tasks and Persidius joins Adwen in the solar where they can enjoy the leisure of lordship for a few hours while their retainers work. They still don't know each other very well but that does little to slow down their physical affections...

The next day it is time for the feast and the guests begin arriving early, some of the longer distance travelers even arrived the night before and enjoyed a small meal in the great hall. The lord and lady are busy in the morning since their clothes aren't yet done so clothiers and assistants buzz about them in the solar.

The more prestigious guests are brought into the hall and seated by Brother Marcus, the majordomo, according to Tatiana's plans. The main table will see the Earl given the prominent place while the newlyweds take the position of honor immediately to his right. To the Earl's left is the marshal, Sir Elad with his lady, and to Persidius's left is his former teacher, Sir Amig and his wife Sir Arcadia.

Beyond those notables the other landed knights are seated largely according to status (ie wealth) and as Tatiana prefers. Naturally she finds a good place for herself among Sir Amig's kin and seats the other knights of Wayford near Sir Eliver who also gets an excellent seat due to being a Persidii cousin. At the end comes Bleddyn and Miles.

Those who aren't landed or yet mentioned are set up out in the yard under pavilions with great fires set up to ward off the cold. Some number of them are knights invited by their lords and others are equites whom Persidius would not host a gala without. The remainder are esquires and clerics.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:02 pm

When the hall is full Persidius stands up and calls for the guest's attention, "Knights and ladies and gentles, you honor my clan and my house with your attendance. Most especially I am honored by the presence of our liegelord, Sir Roderick, Earl Salisbury, Praetor Sorviodunum."

He raises his goblet, "To Salisbury!" he toasts to a rousing reply from the assembled knights who call out 'Salisbury' several times, drinking with each cheer.

When the noise subsides Persidius once more speaks, "Before we begin I have invited the knights of Wayford and Pillarford as well as my lady-wife's vassals to stand before this noble assemblage and pay homage to me as their liege and fealty as their lord for the lands enfoeffed to them."

First the vassals beginning with Sir Clwd, the eldest of his knights, then Sir Emrys. Then comes his brother in law, Sir Pamigen, and lastly Adwen's bastard uncle, Sir Yddyn.

"Sir Clwd," he says as the woman kneels at the slightly raised dais where the lord's table sits, "I accept your homage and offer you my protection. In accordance with the custom I acknowledge your right to the lands of Great Wicheford to hold in perpetuam by knight's service.

Each other knight kneels in turn and offers their loyalty.

"Sir Emrys, I accept your homage and offer you my protection as well. In accordance with the custom I acknowledge your right to the lands of Lesser Wicheford to hold in perpetuam by knight's service.

"Sir Pamigen, as my closest kin among my knights by marriage to my sister Lady Tatiana, I appoint you Seneschal of Wayford and Pillarford with the rights and obligations of that office for so long as you serve ably."

"Sir Yddyn, beloved uncle of my wife, Lady Adwen, I appoint you to the office of Constable with all rights and obligations therefore so long as you serve ably."

Once the fealty ceremony is complete Percidius turns to the Earl with a bow and says, "My lord, if you will begin the festivities."

With the practice of the highborn Earl Roderick raise one hand and gestures for the musicians to begin. As soon as they do the servants move into full speed and come out bearing platters for the first service. They are laden first with trenchers for the guests and then with salads of greens with herbs and vinegar, and pastries with pork and chicken for all the guests as well as beef for the high table.

Beverages are mead and ale produced by the estate offered to all as well as wine served in the Roman fashion for the high table and for those who are favored by the host or the Earl among the others should they like it. Many Cymric have no taste for it but the equites enjoy it and Miles, Bleddyn and Eliver are free to turn it down. Lastly there is plenty of posca, another Roman drink, though this one was a soldier's brew of soured wine with water and herbs.

Surprisingly to many Persidius quite enjoys Posca and drinks several goblets full along with his wine.

The second service sees platters of fish and eel pies taken from the streams of Wayford and Pillarford along with candied walnuts and roast chestnuts from its trees.

The third service sees a slight break that allows Persidius and Adwen to go about their guests and thank them personally for their attendance. He is most pleased to see Eliver and unnecessarily tells his wife again how they are cousins. Then in a most uncharacteristic manner he claps Bleddyn on the back and congratulates him on his own nuptuals.

When he gets to Miles he calls for mugs of posca and presses one into the big pagan's hand,

"Wylye, join me in a cup," he laughs, "posca is a soldiers drink and miles is the Roman word for a soldier. So drink and tell me where a Cymric got a Roman name."

Last edited by Scarik on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Miles sniffs at the drink, takes a sip, then downs the entire cup almost as quickly as Persidius.

"It isn't much of a story," he laughs. "A month or so before I was born, a Roman knight saved my father's life. My father never learned a word of Latin and couldn't thank him properly. He was grateful, though, and made sure to at least learn his name, and when I was born I was named after him."

Miles sighs. "I always wished I could have met him."

A thought strikes him. "He may well be still alive. Sir Persidius, you are a Roman too. Have you ever heard of him?"

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:43 am

Persidius nods slowly so that he doesn't lose his balance, "A fine story, Sir Knight, but I don't know any Roman named Miles and, *hiccup*, it would be a strange name to have for one."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 am

Miles laughs. He spots the servant with the posca walking by and apprehends her.

"You know, there's a much better story about how my family got our motto."

He takes another swig and begins.

"About fifty years ago when my father was young and my grandfather was still alive, there was a priest in the town that my grandfather hated. He was a jackass - always saying everything was a sin, you know - and when my grandfather laughed at him, he'd start babbling about brimstone and things. So once, my grandfather was just riding along, when Father Jackass accosted him, grabbed his horse my grandfather swore, was complaining about my half-uncle or something.

"So my grandfather was trying to get away, but without hurting the fellow you know, because he was hanging on. That's when a couple drunken soldiers wandered by, singing a song in Latin - and when he heard it, you should have seen that priest roar! He let go of the horse, began cursing at those soldiers, threatening them with all kinds of tortures as if he could order them. My grandfather followed those soldiers later, paid them a denarius and had them teach him that song, so he could sing it every time he spotted Father Jackass!

"He enjoyed that so much, he decided that the first line of that song would be our family motto. He wanted to have it painted above the gate, but my grandmother wouldn't hear of it. Twice his size, she was, and threatened him with a club, so he gave up that idea. It's still our family motto to this day, though: Pedicabo ego vos, et irrumabo."

For those who don't speak Latin or have Google handy, Pedicabo ego vos, et irrumabo is the first line of Catullus 16, and translates roughly to "I will f*** you in the a** and make you blow me."

Last edited by Kivutar on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:39 am

More posca, Persidius thinks and then, as if by magic Miles stops Prisca with the jug of posca and she pours them both another cup.

In the morning Miles's story will certainly make Caius groan but right now it is hilarious. A large part of it is certainly hearing Sir Miles correctly enunciate the Latin phrase by the famously obscene verse of Gaius Valerius Catullus.

"Aureli pathice et cinaede Furi!" Caius says in his best approximation of his usual demeanor despite being entirely drunk on posca by this time.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Soon comes the time of the next service, the main course. Platters are piled high with venison and roast fowl with thick sauces, figs, turnips and pease. And once everyone is eating again comes hollowed out loaves with drip pudding and aspic.

Being the main course it takes nearly an hour to complete before the final course is served: soft cheese, apple and pear fritters as well as apples and pears stewed in wine. And instead of posca and ale, they serve spiced wine and mulled cider.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Previous