7 Reasons We're Quietly Letting Racists Win

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

7 Reasons We're Quietly Letting Racists Win

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 am

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-w ... cists-win/

It's a Wong article, and I really liked it. Come at me bros.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: 7 Reasons We're Quietly Letting Racists Win

Postby cmsellers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 am

Pargin me for saying so, but I find the premise of the Wong article incorrect. I would not try to shut down a young person who came to me with racist statistics, and my instincts are probably closer to those of these young people he's talking about (the post-Millennial generation) than those he imputes to the reader.

I absolutely believe that censorship and hypocrisy are worse than racism. Fortunately, racists tend to be much worse on both fronts than anti-racist types. You guys remember that Windy was banned from /pol/ for saying the Holocaust happened? Have any of you been to the Stormfront forums and seen that they have only one forum for opposing views, and even that's subject to censorship?

Now, I'm definitely an outlier: I'm willing to say that it's entirely possible that black people are as a group less intelligent or more violent, though none of the "evidence" I've seen thus far is remotely convincing, but that even if that were the case it would still not justify discrimination on the basis of race. I'm also willing to say that I think it's so likely there are not genetic differences between groups of different races (and that even if there were it wouldn't matter) that I'd be fine with more research on this subject.

I remember reading The Bell Curve shortly after college. I was feeling pretty shitty about myself because I was having trouble finding a job and had had no lock with women during my time in college. I was half-convinced by their arguments in the first part of the book, then I came to their sections on race, and was amazed by the intellectual dishonesty the authors displayed there. They did a lot of "correlation = causation" type arguments, and the most appalling thing I remember is that they at one point said basically "these are big differences between blacks and whites and it's just unbelievable that environmental factors could account for them," which is literally just the argument from incredulity.

Thomas Sowell has a good takedown of the book's section on race that I can't find because white nationalists have managed to get their idiotic responses to Sowell dominating the search results and I don't feel like digging beyond the first three pages, but the point is that for me, the important thing wasn't being instilled with a belief in the moral importance of tolerance, but having learned the value of logic and the scientific method as well as the flaws in how people often interpret the results of scientific studies.

So while I agree with Wong that "don't listen to those nasty racists" isn't going to cut it with kids today, I believe that, as with many things, the proper answer is better education, particularly regarding science.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm pretty certain that racists would say that this already happened.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:I'm pretty certain that in this day and age, if science conclusively proved <insert thing you're not supposed to think, let alone say, here>, it would be shouted down as lies, and the scientists responsible for the research would be vilified to within an inch of their sanity.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened with early evolutionists. Now, creationists claim this against other scientists. Same with climate change deniers.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:The examples running through my head were along the line of "there is a 'gay gene', and it can be filtered via CRISPR."

What's wrong with that? It means that once we discover immortality we can make everyone gay and the future will be fabulous.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player