Everything A Woman Should Know (Before She's Groped)

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Everything A Woman Should Know (Before She's Groped)

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:30 am

Crimson847 wrote:I mean, I had some questions about that advice too, but now it seems like a bad time to raise them.

I love questions! Right or wrong, I'm sure I have an answer! I happen to possess a reasonably desirable body that I've swung a few times around a brass pole, so I might even know a thing or two on the subject of being groped.

Cordslash wrote:And I'm not hot in anyone's books.

*quietly opens a certain ledger, turns it around, and slides it across the table with one finger*

Last edited by Dr. Ambiguous on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 am

Tuli wrote:For the record, I've never been groped by a woman (I guess the anonymous public transport incidents could go either way but idk). And I think the article is the author talking about her own experiences with sexual assault, so maybe she similarly has never been groped by a woman?

It is primarily about her experience, but she also makes generalizations about the male and female experience. She strongly implies all women will inevitably be groped some time in their life. She advises men on what they can do to stop groping, which makes it sound like women are never at fault, because the responsibility is (solely?) on men to fix this. There isn't even a one sentence acknowledgement that these roles may be reversed. I think her account of her own experiences is interesting, and it's really chilling how she describes the men being sophisticated enough to put on a facade of normalcy during the attack. It's completely contrary to the stereotypical interaction you see on TV. However since she also wrote about the issue in general it would be nice if she (or the Cracked editors) were a bit more inclusive. In my own life for example I seem to be a magnet for predatory women. I don't know why that's an issue for me but I kind of wish people would mention it more often.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:46 am

Tesseracts wrote:In my own life for example I seem to be a magnet for predatory women.

What do they do to you, these predatory women?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:42 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:I mean, I had some questions about that advice too, but now it seems like a bad time to raise them.

I love questions! Right or wrong, I'm sure I have an answer! I happen to possess a reasonably desirable body that I've swung a few times around a brass pole, so I might even know a thing or two on the subject of being groped.

I actually meant questions for Tess.

I do have a question for you, though: why are you doing this?

DamianaRaven wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:In my own life for example I seem to be a magnet for predatory women.

What do they do to you, these predatory women?

I presume they would attack her intelligence or appearance or something.

Hypothetically.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Keato1 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:12 am

I may be wrong, but wasn't there a Cracked article a long time ago about a male stripper who talked about how grabby women get? Not that it is directly relevant...

Keato1
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Whatshisface

Postby AboveGL » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:15 am

I agree with Cordslash 100%.

The article and comments are incredibly harrowing. This makes me want to go all Batman on guys that do this shit.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:30 pm

It's weird that y'all are arguing about this, since everybody involved is a reasonable person.

Groping is wrong, whoever does it. That article was about a woman who was groped by men.

Women shouldn't grope either. If you're a dude or a gal who was groped by women, they're just as big assholes as men who grope women. This article didn't happen to be about that, because a) it was about the author's personal experience, and b) statistics suggest most gropings are men groping women. Other experiences are also valid, and many of the same points apply.

For what it's worth, I've never been groped, either by a man or a woman. (*High fives Tess*) Again, doesn't contradict statistics.

Other kinds of dickery are other kinds of dickery too. Stop being dicks, humans.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Kivutar wrote:It's weird that y'all are arguing about this, since everybody involved is a reasonable person.

YOU DON'T KNOW ME! I CAN BE JUST AS UNREASONABLE AS ANYONE ELSE! I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I CAN HOLD UP TO 52 PAIRS OF OPINIONS WHICH CONTRADICT EACH OTHER IN MY BRAIN AT ONCE.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Kivutar wrote:Other kinds of dickery are other kinds of dickery too. Stop being dicks, humans.

My favorite variety of dickery is hickory. It even has its own dock!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
Kivutar wrote:It's weird that y'all are arguing about this, since everybody involved is a reasonable person.

YOU DON'T KNOW ME! I CAN BE JUST AS UNREASONABLE AS ANYONE ELSE! I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I CAN HOLD UP TO 52 PAIRS OF OPINIONS WHICH CONTRADICT EACH OTHER IN MY BRAIN AT ONCE.

...So they're like chromosomes? They're...opinosomes?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:02 pm

I assume the same things that cause men to grope women are also what cause women to grope men. 15% horniness, 75% asserting dominance over another human, 10% boredom and/or bipolar compulsion. So the same lesson in any event, then?

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:14 am

It's not really the same lesson. The lesson of this article is if you're a woman, you will inevitably get groped and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Seriously, she says that. The lesson is also if you're a man you probably have friends like Donald Trump and you need to tell them to shut up. So it's a lesson based on stereotypes, fear mongering and falsehoods, tired loosely to a current political event. Standard Cracked content I suppose. You could say the behavior is about dominance, but the article says nothing like that, and doesn't actually talk about the motives of assaulters at all.

Every time violence against women comes up in the mainstream media, we have to re learn the lesson that this is a common and really serious problem. That's cool and all, but our clickbait based economy warps this into "ALL WOMEN ARE RAPED ALL THE TIME WITHOUT EXCEPTION. PREPARE TO DIE AT ANY MOMENT BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE A VAGINA." I'm tired of it.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:18 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby reallifegirl » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Eh, I don't know if it's fear-mongering if it really is common. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but I know I've been groped, a lot of my close female friends have been, and even ones who weren't necessarily touched physically still dealt with harassment of some variety. I don't think it's inappropriate to talk to people about how to deal with these situations when they come up -- not everybody's gonna be in a building on fire, but we still teach people their fire exits.

Can it go overboard? Maybe. But is it rooted in a real problem that does frighten people? Yeah. And I do think, to some extent, the hype over it now is based around the idea that people would downplay this sort of thing in the past.

I've had dudes on the subway feel up my ass or squeeze my knee/leg. An old coworker, back in my door-to-door salesman days, used to run his hands over my back while we were in the company van. The incident that freaked me out the worst was when I was in Seattle and my gay male friend wanted to hit up Capitol Hill, the gay nightlife area. The night ended with us very drunk at a very popular gay club, where I blacked out. I woke up to a dude making out with my neck and his hand up my shirt. I made some sort of 'excuse me' gesture and bolted to find my friend, who didn't realize there was a problem. When we wandered back on to the dance floor later, this guy grabbed my arm and yanked me back and went right back to shoving his hands up my shirt and making out with my face. I think what saved me from dealing with him too long is that the club closed for the night not long afterward. My friend explained later that that's an ongoing problem at some clubs, that some non-gay dudes will prey on women at gay clubs because they'll let their guard down.

Had a couple instances of woman-on-woman groping though I think those were sort of...drunken not-realizing they'd overstepped a boundary? One of my oldest friends once, to quote a Republican presidential nominee, grabbed me by the pussy as a joke. I wasn't offended, mostly just uncomfortable, and if it had been a pattern I'd have said something.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

PreviousNext